Hello all

Here is my latest completion - Hasegawa's 1/48 Folgore, a lovely kit to build. I'm usually an out of the box builder, but I've always had a soft spot for the look of the MC202, so was tempted into the aftermarket for this one to try and add a little extra nice detail to this build. The extras were:

* Smoke ring decals from Mike Grant

* Ultracast resin seat, wheels and exhausts

* Montex Maxi Mask for cockpit frame and some markings

* EZ line for the antenna wire

The fuselage band and the white tail crosses were painted on rather than using decals, and the underside wing roundels were done with the Montex masks. However, I found these very fiddly so reverted to the decals for the upper wings. A quick note of praise for Mike Grant's smoke ring decals, these are really thin and conformed beautifully with no hint of silvering.

It was painted in Tamiya acrylics XF19 Sky Grey for the underside and XF59 Desert Yellow for the upper surfaces - perhaps not the best matches for authenticity, but that's something that I'm not too fussed about. Kept the weathering light, with just an oil paint wash to highlight the panel lines and a thin dark acrylic mix for some exhaust staining.

Pretty happy with how it turned out, and really enjoyed this build.

Thanks for looking

Adam

DSCF0027_zps1xn4yrkg.jpg

DSCF0012_zps8mwejlli.jpg

DSCF0016_zpsittyzihk.jpg

DSCF0013_zpsbkvb5lbg.jpg

DSCF0020_zps89eyorcv.jpg

DSCF0021_zpsrpoqhj4n.jpg

DSCF0026_zpshrrpwaxi.jpg

DSCF0011_zpsobnif8ws.jpg

• Like 25

Hi Adam,

very great job!! I like these smoke rings. Never believe that it works as decal, but it looks fantastic! Hard to do per airbrush I think. I also like the exhaust smoke. Very realsticand not overdone!

Looking forward for your next model!!! :goodjob::goodjob:

Yes and I saw her majesty today and Prince Phillip just a few metres away from me!!!

Best regards

Andy

• Like 1

well, that looks fine! nice work, colors are completely ok IMO

the smoke ring decals help a lot, don´t they? :thumbsup:

years ago my dad did a Hasegawa 202, back then he wasn´t as capable as now with the airbrush so he used a fibretip pen

DSCN1489.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments chaps

Hi Adam,

very great job!! I like these smoke rings. Never believe that it works as decal, but it looks fantastic! Hard to do per airbrush I think. I also like the exhaust smoke. Very realsticand not overdone!

Looking forward for your next model!!! :goodjob::goodjob:

Yes and I saw her majesty today and Prince Phillip just a few metres away from me!!!

Best regards

Andy

well, that looks fine! nice work, colors are completely ok IMO

the smoke ring decals help a lot, don´t they? :thumbsup:

years ago my dad did a Hasegawa 202, back then he wasn´t as capable as now with the airbrush so he used a fibretip pen

Andy and Reini - you're right, the decals made the camo job a lot easier, can't praise them highly enough! Hand painted a similar scheme a few years ago that I wasn't too happy with, and know I don't have the skill with an airbrush to make a convincing job of it either. Then I found Mike Grant's decals, and I was a happy chappy!

Great build Adam. Really good camouflage. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Very nice work.

I do like the lines of the 202 and the 205.

The smoke ring decals are very convincing, as another "airbrushingly challenged" modeller I will have to try and find some from somewhere.

Well done.

Craig.

Thanks very much Craig

Got mine direct from Mike Grant in Canada - http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/product/italian-smoke-ring-camouflage/ - price including shipping was pretty reasonable, especially considering how it could have looked if I'd tried doing it with the airbrush!

Cheers

Adam

• Like 1

That's very crisp, I have heard those smoke ring decals called "the death of our hobby" (humorously, I assume). but they look great and open up subjects to people who don't possess an airbrush.

Very nice,

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Colin. I don't think I'd be alone in giving up modelling if there weren't lovely decals to help those of us not sufficiently gifted to paint all the finer details!

I really love it. Not only because it's an excellent build, but also because the MC202 is among my favourite planes of WW2. At the moment I'm focused on AFVS but when I will try a plane, the Macchi 202 will be my choice.

• Like 1

Looks good! I can imagine silvering decals would be a disaster in this case!! Italian aircraft always look interesting (not quite ugly, but not quite pretty either) and yours has some lovely detailing.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian. I did dread the prospect of silvering with so much carrier film, and have never been half as meticulous in polishing my gloss coats before decaling!

Thanks Adrian. I did dread the prospect of silvering with so much carrier film, and have never been half as meticulous in polishing my gloss coats before decaling!

what do you mean with "polishing my gloss coats"? Pardon my newbie ignorance :)

Thanks Pascal.

what do you mean with "polishing my gloss coats"? Pardon my newbie ignorance :)

Hi Tyrrhenus - no worries, I've only recently become aware of it myself. Forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but the silvering effect you can get with decal film remaining clearly visible can be avoided if you apply them to a really smooth glossy finish. Although a coat or three of clear gloss can do the trick, you can use polishing cloths like Micromesh (like sandpaper with a very fine grit) to get an even smoother finish and reduce the risks of silvering even further.

Hope that's helpful - others could probably explain it better!

Adam

Curse your black heart, sir. After fighting with a Tauro Macchi 202, you've made me order a Hasegawa one. "She who must be obeyed" will not be pleased!

Colin

• Like 1

Sorry about that Colin, one of the perils of this forum is seeing others' work and thinking 'I quite fancy doing one of those'!

• 3 weeks later...

In the interest of self inflicted pain, I built both the Tauro and Hasegawa versions, the tauro one first as if it had been the other way round the tauro one would never have been completedDSCF1091.JPG

Edited by trpsarge
  • Like 1

A very nice Folgore, Congrats.

Are these smoke rings available in 1/72 too ? Have a C.205 and the scheme is beyond my airbrush abilities

• Like 1

A very nice Folgore, Congrats.

Are these smoke rings available in 1/72 too ? Have a C.205 and the scheme is beyond my airbrush abilities

Hi Bernd

Thanks - yes the smoke rings are available in 1/72 - have a look here