Tamiya paints - less in Enamel range vs. more Acrylic range?

Rabbit Leader

All,

I probably don't expect anyone (beside's Tamiya) to have an answer for this, however have you ever wondered why Tamiya's Acrylic range have more colour options than their Enamel range?

I'm still one of those Enamel die-hards, however at times do dabble with Lacquers (Gunze Mr. Color / Alclad's). I rarely, however use Acrylic paints.

Now there are particular paints in Tamiya's Acrylic range that I would really love them to do as Enamels - e.g. XF69 Nato Black and their RAF colours XF81-83.

Most of the earlier numbers are all available in both options, however some of these later ones are not which has me stumped!!

I know there are plenty of other paint brand options out there, however I'm finding that Tamiya paint, thinned with Gunze Mr. Color leveling Thinner just goes on beautifully.. Anyway - just putting it out there & maybe it is just a sign from above to convert me to Acrylics after all.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

I am currently trying to convert to Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color acrylics, however my back-up plan if that doesn't work-out for me is Tamiya Enamels + Turpenoid Driers + Low Odour White Spirit. In answer to your question my guess would be along the same lines as Dave's answer. Tamiya's acrylic range is mostly used by scale modellers therefore the range has expanded to meet the needs of that particular group of consumers, whereas Tamiya's enamel range is mostly used by a different group of consumers, with different needs that the current enamel colour line-up probably satisfies more or less.

You can thin Tamiya and Gunze acrylic range with Gunze leveling thinner and they spray just as well as their enamel paints I find

Good to know, however I do all of my painting with a paint brush. :banghead:

You can thin Tamiya and Gunze acrylic range with Gunze leveling thinner and they spray just as well as their enamel paints I find

Thanks Colin.. that is good to know, mind you I have seemingly acquired a few of Tamiya's Acrylics when I was still working out what all these 'non enamel' paints were all about!

I suppose I'm probably a past victim of the brittleness that I find which (at times) comes with Acrylics. This has even swayed me full spectrum down to the tough Mr.Color Lacquer range.

Cheers and thanks all for your comments... Dave.