Satin & matt varnish finishes

Starfighter

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but just lately I've found that after spraying Humbrol Satin Cote, Matt Cote or the normal satin varnish ( No. 135 ) on my models there seems to be a slightly "Dusty " finish when looked at from certain angles.

I've used these paints before, and not had this problem, so is there something I'm doing wrong ? I use a Badger 200 ( Old type ) for my spraying, with an Aeolian Pixie compressor, but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference. Maybe Humbrol have changed the formula for their enamels ? Any help would be much appreciated. :cheers:

Could it be the brand of thinner your using?

I paint by hand & ive been using the Mattcote & Glosscote in the little glass jars for a couple of months so far & ive had nothing but great results.

Also Mattcote does need a bloody good shake before you use it, but as you've used it for a while you probably already knew that.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help.

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

Ambient temperature won't help.

That's intriguing . . . Could you possibly give me some guidelines as to what the ideal temperature should be, as I'd be really interested to know ? I have been modelling for many years, but I'm always open to any advice and tips that other modellers might have, which could improve my modelling skills. :cheers:

I think what Ratch was trying to say was that the higher the temperature, the quicker the varnish dries - if it's much higher, the droplets of varnish are almost completely dry before they reach the target surface, sticking but trapping air between the dried droplets, creating a frosted effect.

Under those circumstances it's best to increase the flow (fluid/air ratio) and to get closer to the model's surface to make sure it's still liquid when it hits. That way it can flow and level before it dries.

If you're using a lacquer-based varnish, then Mr. Color Leveling Thinner helps tremendously as it slows drying at higher temperatures.

John's right. Let's face it, in this country (UK) we don't usually spray in 70 degree plus heat, then wonder why our tried and trusted methods don't work suddenly.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't normally spray if it's too hot, but maybe it was a bit on the warm side when I did it, which was early last week. I'll certainly be more circumspect next time. However, it's not really that noticeable, as you'll see when I post some pics in the next week or two.

Thanks once again for your help. :cheers:

would temperature also be a factor for brush painting?

It can be. Evaporation (obviously a factor in drying) is VERY temperature related, but if you're using something that chemically reacts to dry, temperature impacts this too. There's a rule of thumb that simple reaction go at roughly double the rate for every ten degrees you raise the temperature. Go from a cool fifteen degrees in your garage to twenty five or thirty, and a ten minute open time goes to about three minutes.

W&N also do a Satin. I've not used it myself but if it's as good as their flat one (which I know you weren't keen on).

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by Beard