1:48 MiG-21PFM JRViPVO #719

Gentlemen...

The model I present is a SFR Yugoslav MiG-21PFM in experimental (RAF) camouflage back in the '70s.

Kit is an Eduard weekend edition built OOB with the exception of decals.

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

please check my blog for more info and photos: http://militaryaviation148.blogspot.com/

thanks for looking in.

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 38

NICE job…..!.

I have a particular interest in JRV subjects, having spent some time in the Former Yugoslavian states and seen many of the abandoned relics lying around and visited the excellent (but woefully underfunded) Yugoslavian Aeronautical Museum adjacent to Belgrade International Airport.

Well done

Thanks chaps, I am delighted to hear you like it.

This paint scheme was experimentally applied during the '70s in a fashion like older US aircraft in JRV service before the MiG-21s (T-33, F-84G and F-86D/E). It is said the paint didn't last for long. It literally peeled off after a few flights... and this PFM was returned to NMF.

I used gunze H series paints, meant for RAF airplanes but the grey turned out too dark and purplish ...

thanks again,

cheers

• Like 1

AFAIK, the JRViPVO was using RAF (i.e. British Standard) colours all the time. All the locally-manufactured jet-trainers, light strikers and fighter bombers (like G-2, G-4, J-21, J-22 etc.) were painted with 'RAF-colours'.

BTW, the same camo pattern was later applied on MiG-21s Serbs have sold to Mobutu, in 1997.

And re. PFM '719': I've got a few old photos of her in NMF - and then inside one of underground facilities at Zeljava AB (that famous air base built into a hill, with only runways outside).

Yes, you're right Tom, all the locally manufactured jets and even prop planes and others such as (F-47, Soko 522, J-20, C-47, An-2, An-26, etc.) wore this RAF scheme that actually dates back to No.352 (Y) RAF squadron flying Spitfires...

I've read and seen some photos of Zairan MiG-21s and J-21s. Here's a nice clip of Serbian mercenaries in Zaire flying J-21/NJ-21s..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_e9KQY16VE

cheers

Edited by vesthepes

What did you use for the PRU blue - as you said Gunze so I'm guessing a mix? Looks spot on.

Thanks. Actually the PRU blue is a mix of Tamiya XF-23 light blue and XF-18 medium blue - an easy mix to make

On the upside the green is Gunze H73 RAF dark green and the grey is H305 lightened quite a lot. I really don't recommend the latter as a RAF grey as it gets too purplish - it is spot on gunship grey for F-15Es.

Anyway, thank you all, I'm glad you like it. I hope the next fishbed will be a Croatian bisD - the latest UA modernized scheme...or a SyAAF MF. Just waiting for the decals....

cheers

Edited by vesthepes

I've read and seen some photos of Zairan MiG-21s and J-21s. Here's a nice clip of Serbian mercenaries in Zaire flying J-21/NJ-21s..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_e9KQY16VE

Yup, everything explained - in great detail, with photos, artworks, etc. - in Great Lakes Holocaust.

Edited by Tom Cooper

What kind of paint did you use for the cockpit?

Cheers

Sorry I haven't seen your question earlier.

It is a mix of gunze H46 + H25. Excellent to match it with either decals or pre-painted PE.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks chaps, I am delighted to hear you like it.

This paint scheme was experimentally applied during the '70s in a fashion like older US aircraft in JRV service before the MiG-21s (T-33, F-84G and F-86D/E). It is said the paint didn't last for long. It literally peeled off after a few flights... and this PFM was returned to NMF.

I used gunze H series paints, meant for RAF airplanes but the grey turned out too dark and purplish ...

thanks again,

cheers

I like this Mig-21PFM ev.br.22719 very much. it is called Mosquito (komarac) in the time of active service in Zeljava. As you have information regarding turning in NMF again I must say this is something new for me..(I have never heard)

This particular aircraft was in the line of maintenance a long time waiting some vital parts out of the USSR. As it was older model decision was taken to convert it to attack airplane (jurišnik) But it had to be repainted on order to HQ JRV i PVO directive. As I remember it has been put Gsh 23 gun on it. It take some time in the air only experimental due to see how this cammo works in the real life. Later it 1996 was sold to Congo with three others PFM`s and one Mig-21US. They are put in the same cammo as this one. Today I have find picture this particular plane sitting on the airport totally destroyed. But Gsh23 is still attached at the belly...

• Like 1