Pocher Rolls-Royce K72

Hi All, finally received my Pocher Rolls-Royce PII, acquired for a bargain price in South Africa.

Has been started but only the engine and I am sure I can strip that back. Should these kits have come with a contents list or is the instruction book considered a contents list? I need to check through to see if anything is missing - I have noticed this kit has aweful rubber seats which will need to be replaced and aweful rubber springs

I have bookmarked the builds on this site and wil lbe spending some time going through them, as well as acquiring the Paul Koo DVD

Wayne

IMAG1069.jpg

Well here you are already! I just answered your PM without looking.

Great to have you here Wayne. Best resources for Rollers here are the builds of Mr Roy, Foxfriend Larry Waters and myself. Other valuable builds of Pocher classics are being done by Larchiefeng Wayne and Keith MPfriend.

Any of them can provide huge help for any questions you develop. I will be watching your work for new ideas I can steal as well. :police:

Carry on!

Edited by Codger

Thanks Codger - Did you polish your radiator surround? Mine does not seem as shiny, also mine has two small green corrosion specks on the lower front face - Hope I can sort them out! Maybe need to gloss coat it after

Wayne

Thanks Codger - Did you polish your radiator surround? Mine does not seem as shiny, also mine has two small green corrosion specks on the lower front face - Hope I can sort them out! Maybe need to gloss coat it after

Wayne

Well I did but to not much improvement - it was fairly good to start. Mine has some press marks that look like very fine waves on one side. Truth be told it's not offensive and adds a bit of patina in scale.

If you have corrosion, I would try to carefully steel wool or scuff those tiny spots to get the green out. Then I'd put a brush tip of clear lacquer (won't yellow) on just the spots. Do not spread onto the surrounding chrome. I doubt the plating is thick enough to take serious polishing and you'll be surprised how little noticed it actually is when fenders, lights and front tray surround it.

Tip; when you're working with it to install the radiator or the hood mock-ups, put medium tack masking tape (I like yellow Frog Tape) on all the sides and top for protection from damage and finger marks.

Alternately, you could ask Peter if he has a perfect one for sale.

A last thought: if you get really ambitious (in my case, nuts) and decide to make windshield and side window frames from bass as I am, you will need to have those chromed. If so, search for a jeweler or chrome shop that will handle small parts and you can then have the grille shell done too.

Just a thought...

Edited by Codger

I can't wait to see you get started on your Rolls build. Paul just revised his Rolls DVD and not that it matters in your case it has a lot of revisions for the Torpedo like Roy's and a few for the Sedanca as well. Check and see if there is an extensive section on the convertible top, if there is then you have the newest version. Paul lives fairly close to me and we have been having conversations over the last few days on his updated version of the Mercedes DVD. I'm sure Roy and Codger are better resources than me but, if you need anything let me know. Always glad to help.

Wayne

Yes, that is Paul himself. He is a good guy and he ships stuff quickly. Have you started on the kit yet at all or are you waiting on the DVD? I think the first thing on every Pocher I have ever built is the engine and there's usually a lot of cleaning up to do on the parts no matter what part you are working on. Just think marathon and not sprint. I look forward to seeing the build.

Hi Wayne, I have not started but the previous owner did, possibly some 20-30 yearsago. Fortunately it seems that he has not used glue so once I have the DVD I will strip that back to parts and start again - I have noticed the odd bent part (mainly around the already part assembled pedals) but hopefully I can sort those out - I am not sure as yet what I will make opening or moving - Probably only the doors and bonnet to open and maybe the windows to move. Won't fuss with the brakes, or moving engine parts (though they will mostly be there). A few parts have some corrosion on them, one being the radiator surround but I will see if I can remove that or look for a new part - Codger gave some details of a chap who has spares

Wayne

There seems to be an abundance of the started but not finished kits out there. These cars are designed to be assembled for the most part without glue so taking a car apart isn't a big deal and if you think about it it's really a bit easier to build the car back up after you paint and detail it because all the parts for each subassembly is already there for you to put it back together. The big parts count is really mostly the wire wheel parts and if you get a kit that the wheels are already done so much the better. The working engine and brakes are something you can get away with not spending a lot of time on because not many people will know and unless you plan on displaying it with oil pan and wheels off you can skip it. I don't think too many people will be worried about what you can't see but, it's easier to show how the window goes up and down. I hope you get the DVD soon so you can get started. I look forward to seeing another one going.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, dvd has arrived, took apart most of the engine last night, now working through the engine build, I do have an issue though, my fly wheel shafts are not vertical so I am going to have to find a new one, time to start emailing, Wayne

Hi all, dvd has arrived, took apart most of the engine last night, now working through the engine build, I do have an issue though, my fly wheel shafts are not vertical so I am going to have to find a new one, time to start emailing, Wayne

Wayne, if you post a picture it may help locate or fix.

There's Peter at Pocherparts.com loaded with spares too.

I will do as soon as I have learnt how to do the internet via my phone I am list without a mouse and ctrl keys! With regard to screws will one need every single one supplied? As I see I am missing one of the access in pack number 92.

I will do as soon as I have learnt how to do the internet via my phone I am list without a mouse and ctrl keys! With regard to screws will one need every single one supplied? As I see I am missing one of the access in pack number 92.

Again, spares are readily available. contact Peter as above if you must.

BUT, if you read my thread, you will see it works best if you disregard nearly all Pocher screws and use superior 00-90, 0-80 and 2mm bolts and threaded rods. Much stronger for the constant test-fitting parts needs. Many assemblies are best glued or epoxied rather than screwed together as well.

Possibly the most valuable screws in the whole kit are the 5 that attach the wheels to the axles and spare shaft - ultra hard to replace.

Pochers force you to 'think outside the box' - literally!

I will look at the build thread, it just had to wait till bt send my modem, I cannot manage viewing on my phone, I also have to keep costs down, I do not have lots to spend, though I Am going to get the etched springs, Wayne

I will look at the build thread, it just had to wait till bt send my modem, I cannot manage viewing on my phone, I also have to keep costs down, I do not have lots to spend, though I Am going to get the etched springs, Wayne

Understood.

Be advised, the front PE springs are 3mm too long. rears are perfect. Not a crisis, Put a bit of arch in them (not much) and they'll be fine. Mine are fine even without the arch; they just push the front shackles forward. They will stop the sag problem.

• 2 months later...

Hi Codger, I am here just not getting to the build - I would really like to buy some parts but money not available as yet - As soon as I have finished some diecast custom builds I will get on the Rolls-Royce again, I can at least build up the engine and some other parts - Cheers

Hi Codger, I am here just not getting to the build - I would really like to buy some parts but money not available as yet - As soon as I have finished some diecast custom builds I will get on the Rolls-Royce again, I can at least build up the engine and some other parts - Cheers

Great to see your reply. Glad life is OK.

You can do a LOT of preliminary parts prep without spending cash. Pocher's always need that...

• 2 months later...