Revell 1/72 Mustang III

Hi again, here's my new one, a Mustang Mark III (P-51b) of 112 Sqn, Tantarella, Italy 1944, from the Revell kit. Markings were a mixture of kit and Xtradecal (I didn't like the lemony yellow in the kit roundels...) and paint is Xtracrylix. I managed to reduce the tendency of the Revell "drycals" to silver by stripping away as much carrier film as I could on the serials. I painted the canopy framing freehand - OK, it shows - the trick is to "undercoat" in enamel then paint with the rather translucent acrylic. Unfortunately some spray got inside the canopy despite my best efforts to plug every gap... it's a good kit, good value if you can find one, with very fine detail, fairly good parts fit, some flash - canopy is a bit screwy but maybe that's just me. Prop has separate blades and is a bit of a swine, I broke one off... The gun sight is a bit clunky and has to be trimmed down or replaced before the canopy will fit, likewise the pilots armoured bulkhead has to be sanded down slightly. I'm not sure if RAF planes carried the drop tanks, but it doesn't look like a Mustang without them, and I could find very little reference for this online - wasn't going to buy a book for a subject I might only build once.

This fits in as part of my growing collection of US aeroplanes in RAF markings!

BTW, lost the "left eye" decal so had to hand paint that one...

P1010635.jpg

P1010632.jpg

P1010634.jpg

P1010631.jpg

P1010630.jpg

P1010636_1.jpg

• Like 11

nice work, working on the Malcolm hood version myself at the comment, is a great kit though the canopy doesn't fit on mine and whoever came up with that prop design should be shot, would be great to see it reissued by revell again, anyway back to yours, is great build of a great subject