Jet2 silver

Hello all,

First post on here, I'm new to the scene and only have built one complete model so far.

Anyway I'm doing a Jet2 737 soon, won't be any decals as I won't be putting the logos on. Does anyone know what the best silver to use is?

I've searched on here and someone was happy with Humbrol 11 Silver, but just thought I'd ask and collect some other opinions. Would any standard Silver do? Maybe a non-metalic Silver?

Any help on this would be much appreciated :)

James.

Welcome to the wonderful world of model airliners. :)

I think Humbrol 11 Silver might be a bit too, er, silver. The real colour is very dependent on the light and can sometimes look almost grey.

Have a look at this beauty. Citadel Mithril Silver which Viking used is now known as Runefang Steel for some strange reason and is readily available from wargaming shops.

I'm doing a Jet 2 733 myself and I'm using Tamiya TS-76 Mica Silver oversprayed with TS-65 Pearl Clear a combination which worked well for me when I built a Skyteam 737-900

HTH

Dave

Edited by Skodadriver

Interesting, thank you for your input, as much as that Jet2 model is superb, I also see what you mean about it looking more grey. G-CELC is the one I'm going to do, here's one of my reference pics I took:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131052441@N08/17356462925/

with no light on it, it's looks grey, but then using the silver would be no harm?

Absolutely not - it's your model and you should finish it however you think best.

Are you planning a diorama of Lima Charlie being parted out since you're not putting the logos on?

It must be Jet2 season as I've just ordered a set of decals from Draw Decal. I also couldn't remember where I'd seen that great build, so this topic is very handy, thanks. I'm pretty certain there have been numerous posts about this, but is the new Runefang steel just Mithril silver by a different name or has the actual colour changed slightly?

Always sad to see a aircraft at the end of its life but that could be a neat diorama...

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

I am indeed going to undertake the task of making a Kemble state version. A mission as I've never done this before, but I'm also concentrating on full models too, just to get the hang of actually putting a model together!

I bought the minicraft 733 second hand at the Salisbury show for £8, I wanted a cheap one as I was only going to throw most the parts away!

I also got a minicraft C-32A, which will actually be ex-Monarch G-MONJ. I know the engines are wrong, but this will pair with G-CELC, so the engines will be out either case.

I'd almost forgotten about this one!

Re the Mithril Silver paint becoming Runefang steel. I asked in the shop when the name changed, and was told that they had switched suppliers. Apparently they needed to change all the names as the previous supplier had legal title to them.

Seems like a plausible explanation.

Cheers

John

couple of picture of my Jet2 fleet i used Humbrol 11 silver for the Grey ones hope this helps to see the finished models The two logo jet were Brazil decal sheet which i got hold of through hannants when they used to stock them The Jet 2 Holidays aircraft are my own decals

DSCF0151_zpsxpr04l71.jpg

DSCF0150_zpsp2kzzs5r.jpg

Edited by RICHW
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

Hi Rich is there anyway your still selling your monarch airlines liveries in 1/144 scale and I got to say your jet 2 look spot on

Yes i still do the Monarch decals in 1:144 i have the A320 , A321 and A330 in the current livery , the 757 in it final colours and the 1990s livery

PM me and i can sort you the prices out

i was one of the Lucky ones to get the Brasil decals Jet 2 sheet quite a while back the two Jet 2 Holidays are my own decals

Richard

Edited by RICHW