1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

Well I have a no pre order rule... Just don't see the point parting with my hard earned before I see the product. You can always order the day it's released.

And after working on Tamiya's gem of a kit, if they do a D I can't see me bothering with AMK's. Whilst I'm sure it be nice, it's going to have to be really good to beat Tamiya kit.. Options like flaps/slats out don't interest me. 

As with most thing in life, "you pays your money and you takes your choice", so if there is no requirement for flaps & slats then the Tamiya F-14 is a great kit. I personally want my F-14 to have all the options and based on my experience with buying their MiG-31 the AMK kit quality is  truly second to none. For that reason I am very happy to pre-order the F-14, and have done so via Hannants, and after all the questions / speculation about when the kit will be available I'm grateful to AMK for giving us an update and some certainty on the release date. Keep up the good work AMK !!

This may have already been mentioned, but with being able to pose the aircaft ready for a cat launch are we getting some flight crew, or will we have to source them elsewhere?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Calum said:

Well I have a no pre order rule... Just don't see the point parting with my hard earned before I see the product. You can always order the day it's released.

And after working on Tamiya's gem of a kit, if they do a D I can't see me bothering with AMK's. Whilst I'm sure it be nice, it's going to have to be really good to beat Tamiya kit.. Options like flaps/slats out don't interest me. 

You don't have to send them money. They're asking for Pre-Orders with no money down. You pay for the kit when it's released. I'll pre-order as soon as it's offered by Sprue Brothers or Red Star Models here in the USA.

Now Zoukei-mura, on the other hand, last October-November asked for Pre-Orders for their F-4J. I paid upfront for that kit and had to wait until it was released in December. The incentive they offered was Free Shipping. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaveJL said:

If this is true, could be a game changer. The Tamiya kit really is superb. Would almost prefer a B model, but can't complain if Tamiya do pop up with a D. Certainly the layout of the A model would suggest later variants are to follow.

Tamiya releases variants of their model kits slower than Halley's Comet orbits the Sun. Where's the rest of the 1/48 A6M family? :snail:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Masinissa said:

Tamiya releases variants of their model kits slower than Halley's Comet orbits the Sun. Where's the rest of the 1/48 A6M family? :snail:

You would have thought they would be all over popular Japanese subjects but Tamiya never seem that worried about rushing variants out (if ever) - still waiting for an F-16D!

• Like 1

Ah, decisions, decisions... :undecided:

I've got two laptops online right now. On one I've got my right hand's index finger on the left button of the mouse, ready to click on the PayPal payment confirmation to purchase the Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat kit. On the other one, I've got my left hand's thumb finger on the purchase option for the KASL 1/48 Slat & Wing  Flap set.

It's burning... it's burning...

Can no longer resist...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

You would have thought they would be all over popular Japanese subjects but Tamiya never seem that worried about rushing variants out (if ever) - still waiting for an F-16D!

But Tamiya are famous for not following on with their releases, maybe they are hoping the aftermarket will fill he gaps. But still THE best, everytime I get one (which isn't often!), it's an event, marked with numerous cups of tea and breaks while I go through the contents of the box. Hoping for a B model, but given their track record, I'm not expecting much!

Anyway, this kit looks lovely, just couldn't bare to build a Tomcat with wings forward, flaps down etc. Too cool.

1 hour ago, turnerdad said:

But Tamiya are famous for not following on with their releases, maybe they are hoping the aftermarket will fill he gaps. But still THE best, everytime I get one (which isn't often!), it's an event, marked with numerous cups of tea and breaks while I go through the contents of the box. Hoping for a B model, but given their track record, I'm not expecting much!

Anyway, this kit looks lovely, just couldn't bare to build a Tomcat with wings forward, flaps down etc. Too cool.

I know, but it still seems cazy that they spend more money tooling kits to allow for more versions then don't bring them out.

• Like 1

A question for the experts: AMK will release the D type. Is it doable to backdate a D type and convert to an Iranian (I think A) bird?

Are there any decals for the Iranian one? Reference material (books, online etc.)?

42 minutes ago, DIO said:

A question for the experts: AMK will release the D type. Is it doable to backdate a D type and convert to an Iranian (I think A) bird?

Are there any decals for the Iranian one? Reference material (books, online etc.)?

The Tamiya kit has the Iranian Markings in it.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10411171/90/3

There's a few sellers on eBay that offer the kit shipped to USA for a total price of between $76 to $85. They're all sellers based in Japan or Hong Kong, so perhaps the shipping should be the same to Australia? Although you probably have a crazy import tax. :rain: which helps fund civilization :cheers:

For a great central location for F-14 References Try M.A.T.S. 

Here's their book references page

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-book.htm

• Like 1

Hi,

Q3: At the moment the best overview inc. drawings is Danny`s "Uncovering the Grumman F-14 A/B/D Tomcat" (Daco), second choice the still remarcable John Lake F-14 book from Airtime Publ..

Q2: AM decals are available from Hi-Decal and Wolfpack, both are very good, WP offering a better instruction (color).

Q1: Everything is possible......but back to reality. There is a plethora of differences and I doubt that AMK will include all alternative necessities in iths premier variant.

• Like 1

I'll certainly pre order one, the Tomcat has always been a favourite of mine but strangely not high up, or for that matter even on, my build list. The Mig-31 Foxhound wasn't even a favourite of mine but I bought the AMK kit because of the detail, accuracy and engineering the kit offered. For the same reason I'll be buying this kit too!

On a side note does anyone know if Martin is still with the company? He's not been on here since March and the pre order announcement/details is the sort of thing he would deal with, I remember him saying he was unwell in January. I hope everything is okay with him.

Muzz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masinissa said:

The Tamiya kit has the Iranian Markings in it.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10411171/90/3

There's a few sellers on eBay that offer the kit shipped to USA for a total price of between $76 to $85. They're all sellers based in Japan or Hong Kong, so perhaps the shipping should be the same to Australia? Although you probably have a crazy import tax. :rain: which helps fund civilization :cheers:

For a great central location for F-14 References Try M.A.T.S. 

Here's their book references page

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-book.htm

Not willing to buy the Tamiya one though. Just prep for the AMK one!

Will have a look at the material you referenced me to. Many thanks for the info, appreciated :-)

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

Hi,

Q3: At the moment the best overview inc. drawings is Danny`s "Uncovering the Grumman F-14 A/B/D Tomcat" (Daco), second choice the still remarcable John Lake F-14 book from Airtime Publ..

Q2: AM decals are available from Hi-Decal and Wolfpack, both are very good, WP offering a better instruction (color).

Q1: Everything is possible......but back to reality. There is a plethora of differences and I doubt that AMK will include all alternative necessities in iths premier variant.

Many thanks mate :-)

AMK will release the A type separately. I just thought how far should I have to go to convert D to A ???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Masinissa said:

This is true, though i'm only basing the information on a F-14D release on another members' information! 

As stated above, hope all is well with Martin. hopefully we'll hear more of an update soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DIO said:

AMK will release the A type separately.

Yeh, but W*H*E*N*! will AMK release an A type 1/48 F-14 kit, in 2056, when our hands pulse is worse than that of someone suffering with Parkinson?

And W*H*Y*! is it that AMK decided to go with an D type first, instead of an A? Wasn't it because of Tamiya having beaten them to it?

That've kind of decided matters for me; I've just ordered my Tamiya + KASL Tomcat combo!

I've had it with AMK! :angry:   

6 hours ago, DIO said:

New exhausts.

New tail fairings.

New cockpit.

New ejection seats.

New chin fairing.

New gun panels.

New wheels.

Various minor changes (tweak antennae, scribe glove vanes, etc.)

It's certainly possible - resin exhausts, cockpit, wheels; rob the tail fairings and gun panels from a Hasegawa kit and hope they'll fit - but it would be quite a bit of work to build a subject that AMK will probably release within 6 months of the D coming out.  Especially since Tamiya is correct OOB, and the wings are a moot point since you're not doing a carrier takeoff.

As for references...  there are a couple of decent Osprey Publications books.  And a bunch of pics on Iranian websites: 

http://rahrovan-artesh.ir/index.php?/topic/38-گالری-تصاویر-هواپیماهای-نهاجا/&page=171  (note: Iranians have a different relationship with death than most Westerners.  there are some highly graphic, NSFW images sprinkled in some of those threads.  lots of fantastic pics of airplanes, but you'll also scroll past some explicit war photos)

1 hour ago, ICMF said:

- but it would be quite a bit of work to build a subject that AMK will probably release within 6 months of the D coming out.  

:blink2: Probably? Do you really think so...? Or is that just wishful thinking, an expression of your desire or simply being a tad too much optimistic?

Hi everyone. I am still here and still with AMK. 

Been extremely unwell but working hard on my own company and AMK stuff. So much to do with such little time.

The reason we are asking for preorders is so we can assess when the release date will be. We guarantee that we will release the D on December 1st if we hit a magic 5000 preorders globally.

This is because we still have to do other work to keep the factory going. The company is doing well but it’s a risk making a run of 5000 and declining other work.

If we get the 5000 preorder then we will release the kit in time for Christmas. If not, then we will still release the kit but we cannot guarantee the date. I wish we could but we can’t.

Kfir is released next month. Boy, you’re going to love it!

Cheers and sorry for my absence of late. :sick::sick::angel:

• Like 8

Great to hear from you Martin and sorry that you've not been well, hopefully you're on the mend now.🖒

• Like 2