Looking to have a go at casting and moulding

chris1984_99_99

As the title says, im thinking of having a go at moulding and casting in resin, the thing is I have never done it before and besides watching videos on the likes of youtube and reading up on various websites my knowledge is nil. I am wanting to make my own masters (which is also something I have never tried before and any advice on this such as materials to use would be much appreciated!)

Model wise, I want to make my own designs of ships such as those seen in Battlestar Galactica and similar sci-fi related craft.

Looking on ebay there are a few kits you can get, such as the one I will link below. I was wondering if there are any hints or tips anyone can offer or things/products to avoid or that are worth buying.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

PS here is the link to a kit on ebay I was thinking of trying out..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-Silicone-Polyurethane-Moulding-Casting-Resin-Kit-Medium-/321538178297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4add2b3cf9

This is the same stuff I have used and is very good, the only down side is the Silicone has a shelf life and goes off if not used for a while, so if you are going to do loads of moulds it should be fine, the other thing you will need is a good set of digital scales.