1/8 Aston Martin DBR1

You really should make a small run of these Roy. Certainly 1:1 owners and model collectors would seek them out. As with the Jag as well. I think an ad placed in the owners club's newsletters would bear fruit.

I have contemplated such a route, but I really don't want to turn a hobby into a business.

One of my big Jaguars is going to a new home shortly, but I won't be making a 'repeat' any time soon.

I like to build what I want to build, with no kinds of expectations.

If I was building for a customer, I'd be fretting in case my models weren't good enough.

A very kind comment though.

Roy.

• Like 1

I have contemplated such a route, but I really don't want to turn a hobby into a business.

One of my big Jaguars is going to a new home shortly, but I won't be making a 'repeat' any time soon.

I like to build what I want to build, with no kinds of expectations.

If I was building for a customer, I'd be fretting in case my models weren't good enough.

A very kind comment though.

Roy.

Colin makes a good point.

My idea was to make, say, 5 replicas of each model, exactly as you want them to be or the prototypes were. Not to custom build to a customer's demand.

I agree wholeheartedly about building what you love; I just meant make several of them. Many viewers here would obviously kill to have your creation as is......

Many thanks for the kind words.

I'm still not convinced my models are good enough for selling though...

A bit more on the Aston.

After a lot of filling and sanding, hole trimming etc etc, I've given the main shell a couple of heavy primer coats.

This will get a good wet sanding after a few days, and then another couple of primers.

I've tracked down a very good match for the late 50's Aston Almond green they used for racing but it will never be perfect, as according to the Aston Martin archives and official historians, these race cars weren't actually painted.

They mixed green pigment into a satin varnish and painted it over the aluminium body - hence the metallic look.

If you look at any period pictures of these cars, you can see they are actually very dull - virtually matt.

That isn't dust - it's how the cars were.

I might give my body a coat of satin lacquer when its finished, but I'll wait and see.

Roy.

P1010697_zps2qxbgv4u.jpg

P1010698_zpsurv2ikoy.jpg

P1010699_zpszi5srsd3.jpg

P1010700_zps2kgukaxe.jpg

• Like 1

I really love the way this body is shaping up. The process used to form the body reminds me of a DVD I have where Fon Davis, a special effects master model builder, for movies uses his very large vacuum forming machine to make a space craft. It makes me think that since there aren't too many of those types of machines around it wouldn't surprise me if your "friend" wasn't also in special effects for the movie business. Great build of great car.

"I'm still not convinced my models are good enough for selling though..."

Your builds are a gazillion leagues better than mine and I just sold 2 ships, I'm not fit to lick your boots, and if my rubbish sells you would have no trouble what so ever.

Edited by kpnuts

I genuinely appreciate the incredibly kind sentiments from all you guys but really, I'm just a plastic-basher like everyone else.

OK, I'm a bit 'OCD' with stuff like engine details and so on, but all I do that is maybe a bit different from some, is work out ways to make bits I don't have.

Most of the pieces on the engine for example are hacked-about bits, plastic scrap and whatever I can find that works.

Once I've got something I like, I make a rubber mould from it (anyone can do it - it's simple) and cast pieces in resin as it's easy to work with.

Also, if I muck anything up, I can make another.

The C Type was my first foray into scratch building a whole 1/8 scale car.

This one is still only my third attempt.

It's all a learning curve - you should see the bits that have hit the bin, and the duff C and D Type body parts on a shelf in my garage!

Roy.

Oh - prophetic words yesterday.....

The first pictures show where I WAS up to with the primer coats.

The next pictures show the body this morning.

What did I learn?

Simoniz acrylic primer is RUBBISH.

I literally always use Halfords. I only bought the Simoniz can as it was from a motor factor nearer to me than Halfords.

A lot of remedial work to do now.

Roy.

P1010701_zpsha0acmzg.jpg

P1010702_zpssrcg6cke.jpg

P1010703_zpsntbr75fm.jpg

P1010704_zpsq6uu5q3m.jpg

P1010705_zpswpexxjow.jpg

P1010706_zpse1cjqvse.jpg

• Sad 1

We battle so many factors to create beautiful models - too bad poor materials add to the woes. I would leave no trace of that under the proper primer. May continue to haunt.

The form does look slightly spectacular in all one color however.

Sorry to hear about the paint Roy. It makes me even more paranoid about not using Halfords paint as I'm so reliant on them. Still not had the courage to use my Zero paints yet!!!

Body shape looks fab though! No idea how your guy vacced in the sill returns?! ;-)

Body shape looks fab though! No idea how your guy vacced in the sill returns?! ;-)

Many thanks.

I must admit that if it wasn't for my friend, I'd still be making the bodies in fibre-glass, as I did with the C Type.

Slow, messy, no room for error.

At least this way, if I make a total blunder, he can make me more parts.

The odd thing is, I've known him a long time and the vac forming idea was his.

It hadn't even crossed my mind. HOW he does things is a mystery even to me.

As an update, I've spent the best part of 5 hours today wet sanding the shell, painting (brush) a good layer of 'Klear', and it now has a first dust-coat of HALFORDS primer...

Another few coats this evening and then overnight in the airing cupboard. (It's empty at present!)

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Strangely enough, I'm going to use grp on my Stutz project, just because I'm used to the production method and don't want to buy kilo's of casting rubber. Very smelly and messy though. If I don't lose faith I'll try metal bashing a body too.

I'm sure you'll know this, but if you ever want a finer finish, lower build primer, Halfords white primer does the trick! :)

After a LOT of sanding back, some filling, more sanding, a few more primer coats - then more sanding...

I've laid on the first coats of green.

Guess what...?

The crazing shows through at certain angles, even though it was GONE in the primer coats.

I'll rub it down again and see how it goes.

Grrrrrrrr.

Roy.

P1010707_zps7krhxnht.jpg

P1010708_zpsz3ganbzv.jpg

I agree Roy. Gotta strip.

Over here we use Castrol Super Clean, a purple degreaser which strips cleanly and rinses with water. A soak for a few hours always does it. If you sand too much you will change those gorgeous contours.

When clean and rinsed, I would then airbrush a coat of Future which is an excellent barrier to stop ghosting through. Then the normal priming and then sand the primer to 600.

Always works for me.

Well....

Here we are, some 9 hours later, a good soaking in 'Mr Muscle', a wash, and LOTS of scraping/sanding.

Almost back to bare plastic.

It's 11.10, and I've had enough.

Finish it tomorrow....

Roy.

P1010711_zpsjemc1tpb.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

I know a lot of mo...

Let's restart that.

MOST modellers I know would just forget about all the hard work they did, find the nearest window and throw the beautiful core of a model they built out of it. Or they'd say "ah it looks 95% okay, I'll remember this for my next build". Right...

It's moments like these when patience demonstrates who the true modeler is, who will see this as a hill toward learning how to get even more patience. And with that expanded patience comes an even higher quality level. Patience is the most important skill a modeler can have.

Respect for the restoration.

• Like 1