Airfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim 1

Hello All,

I've just finished the new(ish) Airfix Bristol Blenheim 1 (build thread here). I have taken advantage of the evening sunshine to get some pictures:

Airfix_New_Blenheim_port_rear_zps6wfvsbf

Airfix_New_Blenheim_stbd_rear_zpsrnsvfev

Airfix_New_Blenheim_stbd_front_zpswqbnyb

Airfix_New_Blenheim_port_above_zpsoitmjs

And one from underneath. I was pretty pleased with the underside weathering, but the camera has struggled with the contrast and done neither side any favours:

Airfix_New_Blenheim_port_under_zpsypwj8s

It's more or less OOB, with seat belts and a couple of interior details. I brush painted using Humbrol and Revell acrylics, and kept the weathering light.

So what did I think about the kit?

It does have fit issues. The fuselage is harder than it should be, and the cowlings are difficult to do neatly. I think the issues are exacerbated by soft definition of the moulding - nothing seems to be quite sharp (the closed cowling gills are a prime example). I hate the new way of attaching propellers, too.

On the other hand, I didn't use much filler at all (once I'd done some fettling) and some parts, like the undercarriage, fell together beautifully.

The canopy is very toylike and distorting, (the old Frog Blenheim is much better, and I'm regretting not using my Falcon vac), but the turrets are clear and very nicely done

So, for me, it's accurate, detailed, mostly enjoyable and miles better than the old Airfix MkIV (and the MPM). But I don't think it's as far ahead of the 1969 Frog moulding as I would hope. I'm looking forward to building that as a Finnish example.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 32

Excellent build, the underside weathering does look good. I've completed two builds of Airfix new toolings and have encountered issues with fit. I just put it down to "typical" Airfix and would still buy their kits. Canopies does seem to be a weak point being either too thick or the framing isn't defined enough.

• Like 1

Great finish Adrian. I do like those colours. The decals look as though they went on well. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Great build and review Adrian. I agree, with the Falcon kit, the Frog one builds up quite nicely and has a better shape than the old airfix Mk.IV, although the left hand side of the cockpit is incorrect on both the Falcon part and Frog kit. It should be squared off at the lower rear rather than tapered. I got round this by cutting it out and adding an acetate square section.

Really like the black / white underside scheme and you've pulled it off really well :)

• Like 1

Thanks again for the comments.

To woody37: I saw your old Airfix and Frog builds in the obsolete kits GB and I can promise that my Frog one won't come close to that standard or level of attention to detail. I've already started cutting away at the wing leading edge attachment, so I guess I'm committed to that improvement now!

To Jason: The Frog (and the Revell re-box) does have some streamlined skis, but I think they are simplified compared to the pictures I have seen. I'm tempted by the version that simply bolted on a Heath Robinson style makeshift ski instead of a wheel!

Victor Scheuerman accurised the Frog skis on a Hyperscale forum here.

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

I'm sort of catching up after being away but that is a lovely build Adrian.

I too liked the interior work and the code work on the exterior was just amazing and icing on the cake for the overall scheme.

Well done....great subject, great finish

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Your Blenheim is superbly made and a delight to see.

I am half way through mine, pain of a kit, soft detail in parts, nasty bomb doors, front not easy to attach to rest of fuselage, shame, as this could have been such a great model tool, Frog 🐸 kit still good, love Eduard to have a go in 1/48.

• Like 1