New modeller looking for a good airbrush and compressor kit.

Rs500

Hi guys,

been building for a while, built a few but now looking to move on to an airbrush and compressor kit, just looking for advice and any recommendations really?

I don't want to spend a fortune as I don't build all the time etc,

but at same time I do not want a cheapo which would break or provide terrible results as this would be a false economy.

I came across a new Voilamart Airbrush 1/6hp compressor Kit with 3 airbrushes on ebay for £65 delivered, sounds like a good deal, but any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Bargain deals can sometimes work out, sometimes not. I bought a compressor and 2 airbrushes a few years ago, the compressor was (still is) fine but both the airbrushes were naff.

Been looking at airbrushes recently and the cheapest half decent one is the Neo Iwata (45-50) after that the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra (65-70). Anything less than those and it's pot luck whether you get a good one or bad one.

I'd say budget £100 minimum for compressor & airbrush.

Paul from Little Cars (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/207-little-carscom/) is your man to ask, I expect him to drop in and make an appearance on this thread soon ;)

Neil

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 1

Iwata Neo is a good basic one. With practice and maintaining it's cleanliness you can achieve even Luftwaffe squiggles. I've been using one for a couple of years now. Can't advise on compressors. Mine's a silent one and cost £300 13yrs ago. Still going strong. There are less expensive ones however. The Airbrush Company are a good starter for ten if you need advice. I still go back there for spare parts and servicing etc.

• Like 1

Mike posted a link to a decent starter set. You can pick up a cheap Chinese compressor off the 'net and practice with that, as I did, until your happy that you'll get on with airbrushing. When it packs in (as it probably will) you'll be ready to invest in something better. HTH :)

Edit: p.s. Vallejo Model Air is also easy to spray with so you'll avoid paint problems whilst practicing. There's lots of tips here on BM about airbrushing and paints - well worth doing some searches.

Bargain deals can sometimes work out, sometimes not. I bought a compressor and 2 airbrushes a few years ago, the compressor was (still is) fine but both the airbrushes were naff.

Been looking at airbrushes recently and the cheapest half decent one is the Neo Iwata (45-50) after that the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra (65-70). Anything less than those and it's pot luck whether you get a good one or bad one.

I'd say budget £100 minimum for compressor & airbrush.

Paul from Little Cars (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/207-little-carscom/) is your man to ask, I expect him to drop in and make an appearance on this thread soon ;)

Neil

Couldn't have put it better myself Neil. The Ultra is a good cost effective brush for beginners. Easy to use and clean.

Paul

• Like 1

Couldn't have put it better myself Neil. The Ultra is a good cost effective brush for beginners. Easy to use and clean.

Paul

Completely agree :thumbsup: with Paul, as I have the Iwata Revolution, PremiAir G35 and the H&S Ultra, and the more I get used to them, I am spending more time using the Ultra for painting Vallejo ModelAir and the others for primer/clear/metallic coats, as the Ultra is well engineered (and I don't hold shares in H&S), easy to control, use and clean. One bit of useful advice - please, considering compressors, get one with an air tank, as they are much quieter in use.... :thumbsup2::winkgrin:

• 6 years later...

Depends what you wish to do with an airbrush If you just want to lay down overall coats of paint virtually any Badger or reasonable other brand  will do. Very fine lines maybe a bit more quality. The brush is only as good as the person using it. It takes practice no matter how much you pay. I have bought & used a few both, cheap & costly & don't think my work is any better using one or the other. Don't always blame the brush. It can be costly if you do.

9 minutes ago, Old John said:

Depends what you wish to do with an airbrush If you just want to lay down overall coats of paint virtually any Badger or reasonable other brand  will do. Very fine lines maybe a bit more quality. The brush is only as good as the person using it. It takes practice no matter how much you pay. I have bought & used a few both, cheap & costly & don't think my work is any better using one or the other. Don't always blame the brush. It can be costly if you do.

Bit of a necro-thread there John - the last post was 2015 :lol: Don't worry, we've all done it ;)

Oh dear  didn't notice the date I came to it from a post on facebook today which was asking for info on Voilamart Airbrush. Guess this one is sorted now Could have been me asking as it was 2015 when I re started modelling.I will put it down to my age which is quiet ancient.

• 3 weeks later...