Revell 1/72 C-54 /DC-4

aukebruins

• 3 months later...

The two rearmost windows on the right hand side are too close on the model. There should be space for the SAS shield with the flags between them. Not possible with the kit lay-out.

Stein

No the second last window need to be filled for a SAS machine. There are 12 windows then a blank followed by the last window. The kit has 14 windows.

For an SAS machine the window behind the cargo door also need to be filled. On th front fuselage there should be round lights at both sides. All of this would be easy fixes.

I just wish that Revell would release a passenger DC-4 soon.

Edited by Orso

The parts obviously allow for it (notably the flipside of the floor, which seems to have openings for seats) but Revell is notorious for not releasing anticipated versions of existing kits. I can't for the life of me not understand why they still haven't released a Ju-88 A-1/5.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

Sadly, I also feel the Xtradecal sheet has somewhat bland offerings. The modelling Gods are never happy when the easy route is taken.

Not for me- I love Argentinian Aviation- those decals will save me a heck of a lot of work piecing together the various markings from my obscure collection of (rather rough) Argentinian made decals in the stash.

Bit more about Argentinian C-54s here:

http://www.amilarg.com.ar/douglas-c-54.html

Will

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2015 at 11:28 PM, Admiral Puff said:

I'm about ready to close up the fuselage on mine, and I can assure you that about 99% of that beautiful kit interior will disappear into eternal darkness when I do. Yes I'll know it's there, but I can't help thinking that the cost of it would have been better saved and the price of the kit reduced - particularly considering the current state of the Pacific Peso ...

Quite agree, this kit is over-engineered and would have been much cheaper if all that hidden detail had been omitted. As it stands, Revell have missed a trick as they could have included a second port fuselage half moulded in clear/transparent plastic, so you could build it to show the interior. That would have really sold these kits, especially the civil DC-4 variant with full pax fit. 

Edited by AMB

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, AMB said:

this kit is over-engineered and would have been much cheaper if all that hidden detail had been omitted

I agree with you.  When I built mine, I was quite happy to leave out all interior detail behind the cockpit bulkhead, knowing that it could not be seen.

Even a p/e cockpit set would be a bit of a waste, because only vague shapes can be discerned through the windows.

2-DC-4.jpg

• Like 7

I don't entirely agree (about the over-engineering, I mean)- you've got the option to leave the crew door open, and would certainly be able to see something through that- IF you can get your good eye in the right place to look in!  (Note, however, that the C-54 instructions have the door  swinging outward, which is wrong.)  Also, while I haven't tried it through the windshield, when I test-fit the bulkheads and such and peered in from the front, there was a cool "3D" effect looking through the cabin door and out into the cargo bay.  (and vice versa from the cargo doors looking forward.)

I admit I did raise an eyebrow, at least mentally, when I compared the civil to military boxings and saw that they gave some different parts for the crew-rest area!  That would be awfully difficult to see from any angle.

Some shots show a surprising amount of "open space" where the crew do their jobs.  However, there's also mention of "curtains" in the manual, and more recent photos reveal snap-on "blankets" behind the pilots which cuts down on some of what you'd otherwise see.

I'd rather have some nifty detail and be given the choice of leaving it out than to be given a big empty "inside of a tube" and have to deal with it myself.  Actually, on that note, while thinking about where to squeeze in nose-weight, I had an idea to scratch-build a pallet and tie it down way up forward in the cargo bay- it would have a "tarp" over it, and would give you ample room to pile some ballast!  (Just make sure it IS secured well...)

Anyway, I like what they bothered with much more than, say, giving me a super-detailed Merlin engine to put on the nose of my Spitfire or Mustang- that (in my opinion) should be hidden under a cowling.

bob

On 26 January 2017 at 5:23 AM, gingerbob said:

I don't entirely agree (about the over-engineering, I mean)- you've got the option to leave the crew door open, and would certainly be able to see something through that- IF you can get your good eye in the right place to look in!  (Note, however, that the C-54 instructions have the door  swinging outward, which is wrong.)  Also, while I haven't tried it through the windshield, when I test-fit the bulkheads and such and peered in from the front, there was a cool "3D" effect looking through the cabin door and out into the cargo bay.  (and vice versa from the cargo doors looking forward.)

You definitely have a point there.  I didn't mean to sound too strident.  In fact, I had planned to open the crew door, but I stuffed up with not putting enough weight forward of the main u/c.  To stop it sitting on its tail I had to push more lead sinkers into the doorway & close it up!  :oops: