1/32 Hawker Hunter - Revell

Hi all, I thought it was about time I did a WIP after lurking and posting for so long. Last year I built the Matchbox Sea Venom and enjoyed working in 1/32 so added a couple more big scale kits to my stash with the idea of doing one or two of them a year. This years kit will be this one:

DSCF9053_zpsownmbzqu.jpg

I've started, as is customary, in the cockpit and have added a few bits and bobs to busy up the kit parts, which are very good all things considered. My guide in this is the Modellers Data File on the Hunter and I'm just trying to achieve the impression of busyness rather than 100% accuracy:

DSCF9057_zpsejlmxx90.jpg

DSCF9059_zps6qikmfkq.jpg

DSCF9064_zpstqrmtwsf.jpg

DSCF9063_zpscp6g57fx.jpg

DSCF9062_zpsifyxln6b.jpg

DSCF9065_zpsefiajs7f.jpg

DSCF9068_zpscgtz8uim.jpg

I think that will be enough extra's as most will be barely visible once the cockpit is closed up, next step is to paint it all black which will help to make all the additions disappear.

The kit seat isn't too bad but it will need detail adding and the moulded on belts removing and replacing. So I'm considering an aftermarket item but will make my mind up later in the build as the seat can still be fitted after the fuselage is closed up.

More as I make progress :winkgrin:

Regards

Tom

• Like 8

Nice start Tom but I have to say, as an ex Licensed electrical aircraft engineer, you will have to do that cockpit wiring again, I think it might catch on the Martin Baker 3H in an emergency.....

Just pulling your leg. I'm watching your build with more than a passing interest.

Nige B

Nice start Tom but I have to say, as an ex Licensed electrical aircraft engineer, you will have to do that cockpit wiring again, I think it might catch on the Martin Baker 3H in an emergency.....

Just pulling your leg. I'm watching your build with more than a passing interest.

Nige B

Thanks Nige, and not to worry, the wiring still needs tweaking before I start splashing the paint around. The last thing I want is a small scale pilot injury on my hands :wicked:

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

Also watching with interest, hoping to gather a few tips for mine. I have the True Details cockpit for mine which includes a rather nice seat and I also have an Aeroclub version, so I will have a spare when I have decided which one to use. PM if you're interested.

John

Great start mate, looking forward to this :)

Thanks Val, I'll try to keep things interesting.

Also watching with interest, hoping to gather a few tips for mine. I have the True Details cockpit for mine which includes a rather nice seat and I also have an Aeroclub version, so I will have a spare when I have decided which one to use. PM if you're interested.

John

Thanks John, PM sent. Personally I'd say go with the True Details seat as it is a work of art, although the Aeroclub seat will help to add much needed noseweight.

Nice subject, nice model, a real "Golden Oldie" and a good start. Keep the photos coming :thumbsup:

Thanks Gremlin, I'll try not to disappoint :thumbsup2:

Regards

Tom

Edited by TomW
  • Like 1

The problem with scratchbuilding, especially in the larger scales is knowing when to stop. I had planned on leaving the cockpit with just the additions I showed in my opening post but then I noticed a couple of things in every reference photo I looked at that I just couldn't justify leaving out :shrug: So once again it was out with the plastic strip and rod.

Firing switches added to the control column:

DSCF9075_zps85tw2rpy.jpg

DSCF9076_zpsy3prkla9.jpg

And then I built a canopy release pull handle:

DSCF9073_zpscnndrtfj.jpg

DSCF9072_zpsdcpnzswe.jpg

Oh and in case you haven't already noticed I've started splashing the paint around, still lots to do but its beginning to look like a cockpit:

DSCF9071_zpspcmob4ro.jpg

DSCF9074_zpshd2nb3od.jpg

More once there is progress to show.

Regards

Tom

• Like 8

Nice work on the panels Tom, how did you get this effect? Black instrument faces and dry brushing to bring out the details? Looks very good :thumbsup:

Got it in one :) . Basecoat is Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black, over that is dry brushed Citadel Codex Grey to soften the black. The dial faces were dry brushed with Citadel Skull White to pick out the moulded details and then the dial faces were filled with Klear to give the impression of glass. I still need to add the various switch colours and paint a few areas with yellow/black striping and then I'll call it done.

Tom,

Great start to one of the best known aircrafts.. :thumbsup:

Good work..and looking forward to seeing more... :speak_cool:

thank you

Thanks Houston :D

Regards

Tom

You must have the second release of the kit, I have the first and the rear cockpit bulkhead is completely devoid of detail and this, and the seat, are the main reasons I opted for the True Details set. I have already drilled out the instrument faces on my kit and the plan is to fit instrument decals, I hope it will be worth the effort, but having seen what you have achieved with yours I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Regards

John

Looking good so far. I'm building one of these myself and I wouldn't worry about adding too much detail to the cockpit as it's very difficult to see much of it once the airframe is assembled due to it being black. The seat is prominent though so this would really benefit from extra detail/after market replacement.

Look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Nicely done mate ...Im watching :popcorn::popcorn:

Andy

Thanks Andy, this could take a while though with my limited modelling time these days so you might want to stock up on the popcorn :winkgrin:

Great start Tom I will follow with interest I have this kit in the stash but not "cut plastic" yet.

Thanks Steve, you know you want to start yours soon :evil_laugh:

You must have the second release of the kit, I have the first and the rear cockpit bulkhead is completely devoid of detail and this, and the seat, are the main reasons I opted for the True Details set. I have already drilled out the instrument faces on my kit and the plan is to fit instrument decals, I hope it will be worth the effort, but having seen what you have achieved with yours I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Regards

John

Yes this is the updated kit that Revell re-issued last year and you're quite right about the seat John - So thank you again for parting with the Aeroclub replacement, I can't wait to get it painted up once it lands in the UK :thumbsup: . Instrument decals will look very good in the cockpit, I only painted mine because I gave the Revell cockpit and Swiss option decals to a friend.

great work :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Revell have done a nice job with the cockpit, your paint is picking out some nice details there!

Cheers Mick and Jockster :thumbsup2:

Looking good so far. I'm building one of these myself and I wouldn't worry about adding too much detail to the cockpit as it's very difficult to see much of it once the airframe is assembled due to it being black. The seat is prominent though so this would really benefit from extra detail/after market replacement.

Look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I have a replacement Aeroclub MB-3H seat on the way courtesy of John (Biggles87) so that should do the trick.

Managed to grab a few minutes here and there over the last few evenings to get some more paint into the cockpit so apologies in advance for the gratuitous number of photos of instrument faces that now follow :evil_laugh: :

DSCF9079_zps361b4vrl.jpg

DSCF9080_zpsid43u7rw.jpg

DSCF9083_zps1r7zrxww.jpg

DSCF9081_zpsodhalegg.jpg

DSCF9082_zps6xkxuhv5.jpg

DSCF9084_zpshh9pprfg.jpg

That should just about do it for the cockpit for now, so I'll crack on with the other sub-assemblies next.

Thanks for watching :D

Regards

Tom

Edited by TomW
  • Like 4

The revell 1/32 kits are great value. I picked up the new bf 109G-6 for a mere $55 at my local hobby shop, which is normally $20 excessive.

THe hunter is a classic, and you are doing a great job of it.

John

Thankyou John :D and I totally agree with you with regards to Revell's modern 1/32 scale kits, I've got the big Tornado and the Phantom in the build pile and they are lovely kits.

Nice work Tom, looks like a well used cockpit :goodjob:

Cheers Julien :speak_cool: that was the look I was aiming for.

Regards

Tom

That cockpit is looking excellent and has reminded me that I meant to add a canopy jettison handle and forgot. Have to agree that that Revell kits do represent great value for money.

That cockpit is looking excellent and has reminded me that I meant to add a canopy jettison handle and forgot. Have to agree that that Revell kits do represent great value for money.

Thanks FZ6 :thumbsup2:

So a day off today meant I could make some good progress on the big Hunter but first look what arrived in the post yesterday courtesy of John (Biggles87):

DSCF9085_zpswrw5hb37.jpg

And dropped in situ to make sure none of my scratchbuilt additions caused any fit problems:

DSCF9088_zps61zrguac.jpg

Can't wait to get it all painted up :thumbsup: but that will happen later on in the build process. Today was the day of the sub-assemblies, starting with the intakes:

DSCF9089_zps9w1rdlbf.jpg

I've seen builds where the intake trunking has been painted aluminium or steel but my reference tome calls them a dirty grey; so I've gone for a light spray of Halford White plastic primer which over the grey plastic looks how my eyes interpret the pictures I've seen. And the first instance of dodgy fit reared its head when I began to get the intake halves together:

DSCF9093_zpsir9mmlub.jpg

I've removed the guide stubs on the intake halves so the splitter plates are still flexible, this should make it easier to get the intakes lined up neatly to the front and rear fuselage sections later. Glueing has had to be attempted in stages though to eliminate those gaps:

DSCF9092_zpsyrl5wvxn.jpg

Other than that the I've built the basic wing structures and the rear fuselage section:

DSCF9091_zps3aojn0kq.jpg

DSCF9090_zpsk8u8uyg4.jpg

More during the week chaps :winkgrin:

Regards

Tom

• Like 3

I don't know if you made any Academy 1/48 Hunters Tom, but the wing/intake arrangement was very similar and could cause problems. Quite a few people recommended joining the wings to the fuselage halves first and then joining it all up. I don't know if it would work, or even be necessary, with this one, I have only primed the resin cockpit parts and cemented a few small sub assemblies on mine so far.

Waiting to see how it all works out.

Regards

John