Minnie

The British topsail schooner Minnie. Completed at Peterhead in 1878. 79 tons net. Length 84.2 feet. Breadth 21.3 feet. Depth 10.3 feet. Scale 32 feet to 1 inch. Length on waterline 2.8 inches. I began it yesterday, 18th June, 2015. This is after 2 1/2 hours work. Quite a simple model with nothing especially complicated to worry about.

Bob

Fitting_out_Large.jpg

No, I have never been very successful with kits, gave them up years ago! It is just made from bits & pieces. Hull is obeche wood. Deck is scored 1/32nd marine plywood. Hatches painted plasticard. Bulwark panels made on computer. This is what it looked like at 1050 hrs yesterday morning when I was about to begin. I got the plans from the book Schooner Sunset, by Douglas Bennet.

Bob

About_to_begin_Large.jpg

• Like 3

I did not do too much on it today as I went out in the morning. In the afternoon, I made and fitted the forward hatch, and cut and painted the wheelbox. During the afternooon, I prepared a piece of 2 thou' brass shim for the production of 20 steering wheels, one of which will be for the schooner. That was quite time consuming putting the rub-on circles and lines onto the brass and then masking it all off with a fine paint brush. Tomorrow, I will etch them, but that process takes care of itself after I have put the sheet in the etching fluid. Then, I can forget about making wheels for the next 19 models! biggrin.png

Bob

Nice to see something whittled down from a lump of wood, proper model making indeed! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this. I have been mightily impressed with your previous offerings.

Bob

I have now completed the hull, apart from the boat, that will be mounted bottom up on the main hatch. The masting and rigging of something this simple will not take very long. I am now just over 8 hours into the build, spread over four days.

Bob

Minnie_20th_June_2015.jpg

• Like 3

I am now 11 hours into the build. I made and painted the masts and spars this morning. I have fitted and rigged the furled foresail between the boom and gaff, and also rigged the bowsprit/jibboom. Not long to go to completion now.

Bob

Started_masting_rigging.jpg

• Like 4

Sweet little schooner...and yet another book I won't be able to resist buying if I can find it!

Fraser

As it happens, I had a quick look on Amazon and hey presto, used copies for around £27. Good for the library, not so good for the budget! :) Went over to Bookfinder and got a better offer. Thanks for the link!

Fraser

Bob it is stunning how much detail you can achieve in such a small ship watching and learning a lot from you build.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards Keith

It is nearly complete now. I only have to fit a few furled sails, fit & rig the four yards, and finally the boat. Then, I will need to make the display case and carrying case.

Bob

Minnie_24th_June_2015.jpg

• Like 4

May I suggest to anyone who views scratch-building a ship as a dark art, Buy Bob's e-book. It's all there. A very useful book indeed.

Excellent book, you wont regret your purchase

Kev

I think it's time you went full scratch..... :D

Hi Bob,

I managed to download ' Miniature Sailing Ship Construction '

For those of you who have not seen Bob's e-books, the above book contains 123 pages packed with history, pictures, line drawings and more tips & tricks than you can shake a stick at !

Best £6 I reckon I've spent on modelling. Bob has taken a 'Black Art' to possible with care and attention.

http://www.miniatureships.blogspot.co.uk/

Then the cherry on the top, went into La Trinite-sur-Mer Southern Brittany last night for dinner and waiting on the quay " La Recouverance "

P1000591%20Copy_zpsf4fqmfwb.jpg

P1000594%20Copy_zpsg7esguvj.jpg

P1000595%20Copy_zpsracpqcuv.jpg

P1000606%20Copy_zpsd2ijyvre.jpg

P1000643%20Copy_zpsmvq5hujr.jpg

Divine intervention ?

If anyone wants more detailed pictures I have quite a few................

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 3

Thanks Kev,

The extra £1 added to the price was the EEC VAT because you were in France! UK (or anywhere else outside EEC, it is only £4.99!)

Nice pics of La Recouverance and she has the same rig as Minnie!

Bob

Hi Bob,

' The extra £1 added to the price was the EEC VAT because you were in France! ' That will teach me to be impatient

I was surprised to see how the mainsail was brailled up, I guess this is because she has no boom / loose foot ?

Kev