Tamiya Honda RC166 (1/12 Scale)

Big update!

Finally the motorbike is starting to take shape. I managed to mate the engine to the frame and got to try my new jig to hold the model and assist with the tricky jobs which need 2 pair of hands to complete (like installing the chain!). If you build motorcycle models then this jig is absolutely awesome to use and helps a huge amount!! If you want one made or are interested in this then I can forward the contact details of the guy who builds them, he is also a brilliant motorcycle builder who I have learned a lot from when it comes to building these little works of art.

First of all I finished off with the frame by adding the various details and parts, I also modified the rear brake connection as the plastic part didnt really look very realistic.

The suspension was completed, pretty straightforward but it would have been nice of there was some movement to simulate real suspension movement like it does on the front suspension (work on that will probably begin next).

A big pet peeve of mine is the use of phillips head screws for the attachments like at the suspension and wheel hubs. On this kit especially it looks like Tamiya have really gone to town to make this model as realistic as possible but the whole look of it is ruined when they supply big screws instead of the correct hex fittings. I have tried my best to "cover" the screw heads with as realistic as possible alternatives but this area is the only part where I couldnt emulate the 1:1 version perfectly, anyways hope you all like it and any C&C most welcome :)

First of all the frame with most of the fittings attached

DSC03997.jpg
DSC03996.jpg

Rear brake actuator made with two different guages of metal rod and some PE fasteners (sorry about the blurry pic, camera was being a pita!)

DSC03998.jpg

Rear suspension

DSC04002.jpg

And voila! Frame and engine meet and get bolted together!

DSC04005.jpg
DSC04006.jpg
DSC04009.jpg
DSC04007.jpg
DSC04008.jpg
DSC04010.jpg
DSC04011.jpg

• Like 2

Nice jig Imster.

The bike is looking ace.

Simon.

Looking good

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks guys, its taking shape which is where i get excited but also a little impatient lol!

That's PROFESSIONAL modelling !The more I look at how clean your work is the more I look at my WIPs the more I look at the trash bin!

Cheers

Manu

Aww Manu no chance mate, I've seen your work dude and its awesome, your build is giving me motivation to possibly build a ferrari next

Aww Manu no chance mate, I've seen your work dude and its awesome, your build is giving me motivation to possibly build a ferrari next

Thanks buddy,but having worked on real classic cars and motorbike I can safely say that your work is phenomenal,while mine is amateurish at the very best!

Had I half of your skills I'd be home and dry but I have to make do with the little I have!Look at that jig...it speaks volumes about the way you build your models

Cheers

Manu

• Like 1

Thanks buddy,but having worked on real classic cars and motorbike I can safely say that your work is phenomenal,while mine is amateurish at the very best!

Had I half of your skills I'd be home and dry but I have to make do with the little I have!Look at that jig...it speaks volumes about the way you build your models

Cheers

Manu

Once again mate thanks so much for the positive encouragement :)

I'm interested in getting my hands on one of those jigs. Would you be able to forward me the contact info?

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom yes I will send you a PM in a minute mate

Next up I installed the rear wheel and chain. This job was pretty delicate and also very tricky! I used the jig and my wife held the jig with the model on it while I used my two free hands to gently feed the chain into the little gap near the swingarm and onto the front sprocket. Once that was completed I then put the rear swingarm in place and bolted that up. After that the rear wheel went on with me carefully laying the chain onto the sprocket, I am glad Tamiya made it so you can tension the chain as this came in handy to ensure enough room was there for the chain to go onto the rear sprocket. I am very happy with the way it came out and the chain actually works perfectly so you can spin the rear wheel!

The paint finish on the chain has come out all matte so I am considering putting the chain grease on it to give it more of an oily look, what do you guys think? or should I just the the chain as is? Also not sure how the oil will react to the paint on the chain (I used lacquer paints).

I am sorry but I wasnt able to take pics while installing the chain and even before installing to show the paintjob as I was very worried about paintchips so I wanted to handle the chain as little as possible.

You can also see how I had to improvise with the various "bolt heads" to cover up the phillips head screws, not 100% happy but better than if I left them as kit standard.

Anyways on to the pics:

DSC04026.jpg
DSC04030.jpg
DSC04028.jpg
DSC04013.jpg
DSC04025.jpg
DSC04024.jpg
DSC04016.jpg
DSC04031.jpg

I will be installing the exhausts next and then move onto the front forks

• Like 1

Before you install the phillips head screws grind them almost flat , just enough to take the screwdriver.

They only gotta go in once.

Easier to cover then.

Chain looks dark.

A microbrush or modelling 'q-tip' (I have some that wont leave lint all over the place) and run that chain holding the q tip to remove the excess paint. The rollers would be shiny bare metal for sure.

Whether you make 6 cylinder noises or not ,while you run the chain ,is up to you.

Jig is OTT , looks to be keeping everything in line. You can run straightedges off the sides of the tires to see if it is in line with the frame, we use an 8' florescent tube when building real bikes.

• Like 3

Before you install the phillips head screws grind them almost flat , just enough to take the screwdriver.

They only gotta go in once.

Easier to cover then.

Chain looks dark.

A microbrush or modelling 'q-tip' (I have some that wont leave lint all over the place) and run that chain holding the q tip to remove the excess paint. The rollers would be shiny bare metal for sure.

Whether you make 6 cylinder noises or not ,while you run the chain ,is up to you.

Jig is OTT , looks to be keeping everything in line. You can run straightedges off the sides of the tires to see if it is in line with the frame, we use an 8' florescent tube when building real bikes.

Yes I agree with the chain rollers and I will be lightening them up a little, I'm happy with the shade of the chain maybe it looks a little darker in the pics than in the flesh but yes I wanted it to be darker and oily looking.

I have done that with some of the screws, others I wanted them to be raised to simulate a bolt. Still so annoyed with tamiya and their lack of authentic bolts and nuts :(

The jig is great, its the first time using it since purchasing it and it was well worth the investment!

Looking good Imster.

It is always nice once the back end is fitted, and when the forks are on.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, yeah the only problem is once its starts taking shape I often get excited and start rushing the build which often results in big glaring mess ups lol

I'm with you on the nut and bolt saga with Tamiya, so much effort goes in to the rest of the kit. Why not just go the extra mile and include nuts and bolts? We get a screw driver in the kit, why not a nut driver? Theres a market gap for someone...

I've purchased some plastic hex rod from EMA Model supplies in the Uk and will try the grinding down the screws trick and then add a slice of hex rod. It's Ductai Panigale Buddy Build here on BM next month, I'll give it a try.

Colin

• Like 1

I'm with you on the nut and bolt saga with Tamiya, so much effort goes in to the rest of the kit. Why not just go the extra mile and include nuts and bolts? We get a screw driver in the kit, why not a nut driver? Theres a market gap for someone...

I've purchased some plastic hex rod from EMA Model supplies in the Uk and will try the grinding down the screws trick and then add a slice of hex rod. It's Ductai Panigale Buddy Build here on BM next month, I'll give it a try.

Colin

Let me know how you go with the plastic rod idea.

The Panigale should be good fun to build, its a great kit and I have two more sitting in my stash ready to be built in the future. I cant wait to see the WIP on it mate and if you have any questions about the build give me a shout

Since my last update I've managed to complete the exhaust, oil lines and the top part of the front forks including the controls. Apologies for the dusty pics, forgot to do a little dusting before photos :(

The exhaust was a little bit of a tight fit and you have to use a little bit of force to get it to locate properly before screwing it in. That said, it all lined up very nicely and they look great on the bike

DSC04059.jpg
DSC04061.jpg
DSC04063.jpg

Here are the exhaust headers and also where the oil line runs into the sump

DSC04058.jpg

The rest of the oil lines and their routing through the chassis, I used the kit supplied oil lines as they seemed a good scale size and also have a little bit of yellowing to replicate oil in the lines

DSC04064.jpg
DSC04066.jpg
DSC04065.jpg

Next up was the front handlebars and top triple trees. I put a lot of work into these parts especially the front brake line links. All the cable attachment points were replaced with metal fixings to accomodate the thinner more to scale lines for throttle, clutch and speed sensor cables. Once I finish the front end, the front brake lines will be a slightly larger gauge wire like on the rear brakes.

So on with the pics!

DSC04049.jpg
DSC04048.jpg
DSC04047.jpg
DSC04046.jpg

And so you put it all together and this is what you get

DSC04054.jpg
DSC04050.jpg
DSC04051.jpg
DSC04053.jpg
DSC04055.jpg

Edited by imster
  • Like 3

I'm not usually into bikes but this thing is amazing.

It looks utterly real.

Now - please just own up to the fact that you have a garage painted blue all over, and it's your bike you are rebuilding...

THEN - show us the model kit.

Roy.

• Like 1

I'm not usually into bikes but this thing is amazing.

It looks utterly real.

Now - please just own up to the fact that you have a garage painted blue all over, and it's your bike you are rebuilding...

THEN - show us the model kit.

Roy.

Thanks Roy, after seeing the standard of your builds I am happy you like mine :)

Andf if I had the money to buy one of these let alone rebuild it I would be too busy riding and enjoying it than building the model of it lol

You're setting a pretty high benchmark for the rest of us...

Amazing work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, no need for benchmarks, I am very anal about wiring and small details which most people wont notice but my main area where I lack great skill is doing the body paint and ensuring it smooth etc, dreading the day im going to start painting the cowling!

Stunning Imster, just gets better and better. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Simon.

Thanks Simon! hopefully even better!

Lookin' great, I do like the yolk and clip-ons, they look almost real, congrats on you painting skills. Great wiring/piping too.

Colin

PS, thanks for the offer on the Paigale, I'm looking forward to the build.

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

Stunning, Immy. Tamiya did an amazing job of this kit, except for the tires. Your second picture, showing the bike from the rear, shows how "pointy" Tamiya made the tires - completely wrong unfortunately. But you wouldn't know unless you saw pictures of the real bike. Your build is nothing short of inspiring quite frankly.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

. Your second picture, showing the bike from the rear, shows how "pointy" Tamiya made the tires - completely wrong unfortunately.

The tyres used at that time were Dunlop "triangulars" and they were designed to have max surface area in contact with the track surface when the bike was fully cranked over not upright. I think that Tamiya have got it pretty near right. Dunlop developed the tyres in the early '60's with the help of riders like Bob Mcintyre and other leading riders of the time.

• Like 1

The tyres used at that time were Dunlop "triangulars" and they were designed to have max surface area in contact with the track surface when the bike was fully cranked over not upright. I think that Tamiya have got it pretty near right. Dunlop developed the tyres in the early '60's with the help of riders like Bob Mcintyre and other leading riders of the time.

Your comment certainly makes sense. My comment was with respect to these photos. Check the shape of the tires in the photo with the mechanic. Either these tires are different or well worn.

29_zps7lwrvz7m.jpg

34_zpsdabnjma1.jpg

• Like 1

yes the tyres definitely look very round in those reference pics possibly a little too round for racing as in some of my other reference pics I can definitely see a triangular shape, possibly not as sharp as on the model but its hard to say for sure