Tamiya Honda RC166 (1/12 Scale)

Hey all!

So after my stalled Mazda 787B build I started back on a motorbike model. This one is a pretty awesome kit (expensive too with all the additional dress up parts) and I think Tamiya really went to town when they produced this kit.

Apparently this motorbike is a bit of a legend as it won every single GP race it entered in 1966 with Mike Hailwood on board. I will be building the number 16 Mike Hailwood version and as usual I will add as much detail as I can possibly muster. I have also splashed out on the Tamiya brand chain set, rivet set, front fork and clutch set, wheel set and finally the Hobby Design detail up set.

I think that covers everything so far, hope you all enjoy this build and I will try this time to get more pics of the various parts.

As usual C&C most welcome :)

boxart.jpg

• Like 2

So I started off doing the wheels as I couldnt wait to be able to build them, they are very well engineered and I think you will agree that they look pretty much 1:1.

I did a fair bit of reading up on this one just so I have an idea of what issues other people had and the main issue was that the "long spokes" were a little short (maybe by 0.2mm) but this didnt cause me any problems and to be honest its a very straightforward thing to build, the only thing I found was that double checking the spokes and their positioning was extremely important, otherwise well done to Tamiya for making such a precision piece of kit!

To begin I built a little bit to try to show the various stages of build on this. Its important not to rush building these and mucking things up! From start to finish it took me nearly 4hrs to do, this includes drying time for the pvc glue which is used to temporarily hold the spokes in place until they are joined to the rim (2nd picture left hand side part).

DSC03876.jpg
DSC03879.jpg

Here is the rim sitting in the jog which Tamiya supplies. It is very important to ensure that the rim is sitting flat in the jig, you are supplied double sided tape to ensure the rim stays in place but this can add as padding that can make the rim not sit flush. If you build it without taking care of the rim sitting flat then you risk the rim looking warped once complete.

DSC03878.jpg

So one of the rims (rear) has been "laced up", the other is halfway done.

DSC03880.jpg

Both wheels complete, just a little wash and the tyres required to call them finished

DSC03882.jpg

Finally they are finished, I did a light wash on the recesses where the spokes go and around the hub areas

DSC03908.jpg

One thing thats great about Tamiya is that they always supply spares just in case you lose anything, in this case a huge amount of spares were supplied!!

DSC03909.jpg

Thats it for now, next up will be the engine!

• Like 4

The wheels are a kit in themselves!

Well done, and keep the good work.

Rick.

Yes Rick and the chain set is the same too, thanks for your positive comments mate :)

Mind if I join in ? :popcorn:

BillyD

For sure :))) Its funny because its the month of ramadan and im fasting right now, that popcorn emoticon is really making me hungry lolol!!!!

Do you mind if I watch dear chap.

This looks quite interesting.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Simon.

More popcorn!!!! thats it! popcorn on the menu tonight!!

So the engine is complete most of the pics didnt come out right so later on I will put up some close up pics. I think I got the colour correct, possibly a little too goldy but overall I'm happy with the colour match.

I built the Hobby Design PE engine set (the engine cooling fins), it wasnt easy especially to get everything lined up perfectly, I did manage to complete it but after comparing it with the plastic pieces there were a couple of problems, first of all the height of the Hobby Design parts were smaller in height compared to the kit pieces and secondly the plastic pieces looked alot better than the metal Hobby Design, here are the pics:

IMG_5137.jpg
IMG_5130.jpg
IMG_5133.jpg
IMG_5132.jpg
IMG_5131.jpg

I pretty much replaced all the connection points with metal piping and securing nuts just to add realism, as an example I fabricated the throttle linkage you can see in the next couple of pics, also on 1:1 version, directly opposite the throttle linkage is a nut with a washer which I added as the kit didnt have these:

IMG_5255.jpg
IMG_5256.jpg

And here you can see the throttle part completed with paint and bolts etc, I tried a new technique to try to get some texture into the goldish parts of the engine, it came out well but not sure if theres any point to it as its hard to see with the naked eye:

DSC03904.jpg

Close up of the clutch which is a detail up part from Tamiya

DSC03893.jpg

Carbs rail, I used BMF for the metal wiring around the rubber hoses that connect between each intake section. Based on lots of reference pics I see that the actual intake trumpets were whitish/yellow in colour and most likely made of resin, so rather than use the aluminum turned trumpets supplied by Tamiya in the detail up set I used the standard kit parts and mixed them a yellowy/white colour (for some reason the pics show up almost greenish, but in the flesh they are yellowish).

DSC03885.jpg

DSC03884.jpg

And finally completed with a light wash to finish it off:

DSC03907.jpg
DSC03906.jpg

HELP PLEASE!!!

I need some advice/help!! As you can see on the reference pic there is some electrical wiring (black and red) going from the starter motor. I have done 1 set of wires as you can see from the 2nd pic but I dont know where the rest of the wires disappear to around the other side of the engine and I havent been able to find any reference pics of it, so if anyone has any ideas or pics I would be most grateful!!!

DSC03337.jpg
DSC03891.jpg

• Like 5

Is this of any use? I have this kit partially built, so I am watching with great interest. What are you using for your small detailed wiring and nuts, etc? Where are you getting them from, Hiroboy?

Cheers,

Tom

31_zps7pg88kqt.jpg

• Like 1

This is truely amazing work chap!

All the more amazing when you consider the scale you're working in.

Keep it up.

Rick

Yeah I like 1/12th scale for motorbikes, means you can add pretty much everything you see on the 1:1 version

Lovely work Imster.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

Is this of any use? I have this kit partially built, so I am watching with great interest. What are you using for your small detailed wiring and nuts, etc? Where are you getting them from, Hiroboy?

Cheers,

Tom

31_zps7pg88kqt.jpg

Hey Tom, thanks for the pic and it came in handy but sadly I dont want to risk drilling in parts that have been finalised so I guess I'm gonna keep the wiring as it is :(

The nuts are all Top Studio and T2M all various sizes and types based on 1:1 reference pics, I dont buy from Hiroboy as I am based in Australia so I usually use Hobby Link Japan. If I were to order from the UK it would take ages for the parcels to arrive sadly. The wiring is also various sizes and types all collected throughout the years. The fine red and black wiring that i used in the engine are T2M, in fact T2M have a huge amount of different coloured wiring at different guages which are perfect for 1/20, 1/24 and 1/12 bikes

I think this thread is going to cost me a lot of money... :winkgrin:

Great work, keep it up!

Cheers,

Andrew

Lol Andrew, my wife cringes when she hears me say I'm waiting for a parcel!!

Wow imster that looks great!!

Glad your back to building dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ash, yeah after the accident I wasnt too keen on modelling so took me a fair bit longer than I expected to get bnack into it

Blimey your work so always interstellarly incredible you have the skill and patience of a saint.

Thanks KP, my family always told me I am an extremely patient person atleast it pays off somehow lol :)

What you are referring to may not be the starter motor.

Most race bikes wont carry a heavy starter.

It looks to be a charging system component , which race bikes rarely carry as well.

Yes you are definitely right, I think these bikes used external starters rather than bolted on jobbies. I couldnt think of a better word for it though, maybe generator?

Tough call , race bikes wouldnt have a genny or stator or alternator , all heavy electrical items.

I know diddly about this Honda. Racers I do know a little...

Just watching to see if you make the same mistake everyone does with this kit!

• Like 1

Tough call , race bikes wouldnt have a genny or stator or alternator , all heavy electrical items.

I know diddly about this Honda. Racers I do know a little...

Just watching to see if you make the same mistake everyone does with this kit!

What mistakes are those mate?

This is a great kit.

It shows up at our IPMS event almost every year.

Almost every year it never gets more than a third place.

Every example of this kit I have seen has a crucial mistake that takes it out of the running.

Its a competition thing , so if you dont enter it in contests you'll never know.

If I see it here I'll let you know!

Your doing well , good luck!

• Like 1

So next on the "to do" list was a few small bits such as the rear swingarm, oil pump/resevoir (not sure which!) and the exhausts. Pretty straightforward but also fairly time consuming due to lots of filling and sanding on joins (I hate sanding!). No major issues just added lots of PE bolts on the various parts:

Swingarm, I added the bolts as adjusters. The kit ones are moulded in and had large seams that really would affect the final finish after sanding. I used Alclad Copper for all the copper painting, the PE chain adjuster part comes with the kit and will be used later to adjust the chain sag like on the 1:1 motorbikes.

Did a little bit of filling, I am pretty sure that on the real bike there is the step in the swingarm, its so heavily raised that I cant think that Tamiya wouldnt have made this less of a step if it wasnt supposed to be there:
DSC03931.jpg
Chain adjuster with bolt test fitted (without PE bracket for chain adjustment):
DSC03933.jpg
Chain adjuster with PE bracket test fitted:
DSC03932.jpg
Its complete:
DSC03957.jpg

Exhaust Pipes, a couple of hex bolts were added where the exhaust is bolted together, a little bit of filling and sanding was done, extra care should be taken near the exhaust tips to ensure fitment is good so you dont have overwork those exhaust tips. The PE part in the middle is the exhaust gasket that fits at the engine end, there are 6 of these that were made of 2 parts from the Hobby Design detail up set, and they look far better than the kit plastic ones.
DSC03925.jpg

Oil Tank/Pump, I added lots of plumbing to this to simulate the real part as the kits plastics didnt really have much detail I also dulled down the cannister to create a little bit of contrast with the very shiny gloss black on the rear mud guard (which the oil tank is attached to).
DSC03937.jpg
DSC03936.jpg

I am now working on the front and rear brake drums so should have another update pretty soon!

• Like 2

Nice work, the 250cc and 297cc Honda's were my favourite looking and sounding bikes of all time, the electrical gear looks like a generator/distributor, so there should be HT leads going to the plugs from it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

She is taking shape quite nicely Imster.

Good work there mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

Nice work, the 250cc and 297cc Honda's were my favourite looking and sounding bikes of all time, the electrical gear looks like a generator/distributor, so there should be HT leads going to the plugs from it.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis, thanks for the idea, the spark plugs have wiring going into distributors mounted to the frame, is it possible the distrbutors are connected to the generator? Ill show you a pic in a minute.....

So I did a quick iPhone pic to show the wiring for the spark plugs to distributor (or something else):

So on the left is the frame with the "distrbutor" (goldish coloured), the spark plugs sit in the middle engine piece the HT leads are the black leads that connect to the gold coloured "distributor", to the right of that is another "distributor" which is not connected to the frame yet. Finally the right hand side piece is where the generator sits with black and red wiring coming out of it, they route through those 3 gold things which I dont know what they are. I assume from what Dennis is saying that from those gold things there should be some electrical wiring running up to the "distrbutors" connected to the frames?? Does that sound right?

electrical.jpg

• Like 2