Good first airliner in 1/144

Oh gosh, where to start?

For beautifully crafted kits that go together with no fuss, there is the Minicraft DC-8 and MD-80; Zvezda Tu-54, Tu-134, il-62; and Revell's A319 and A320 to name a few.

Kits that will take a bit of seam clean up ( but are still my favourites ) are the Airfix 737-200 and 727 ( Literally hundreds of decal choices for these two )

OK, picking one, the Minicraft DC-8. Looks like the proverbial airliner, is a great kit, has many aftermarket decals to pick from ( but the kit supplied ones are pretty good too ) and if you want to get down and dirty with it, the fuselage is even marked inside where you can chop it up and make older ( shorter ) versions.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you so much guys, your input has been very helpful indeed! I see the DC-8 is popular choice and the zvezda offerings look very interesting, so I might purchase a couple. Also interested in doing an easy jet 737 at some point.

The Daco 737s are very, very nice, but they're not good 'first kits'. There are some slightly tricky fit issues which call out for a bit of experience to overcome. Once you have a few models under your belt, then try one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airliner modelling :thumbsup:

MikeW has listed most of the kits which would be my own suggestions (although I'm much less of a fan of the Minicraft DC-8 than most other modellers). If you're open to considering propliners the Minicraft DC-4 is an absolute gem and probably my all-time favourite airliner kit. The Revell Constellation is also a good model and not particularly difficult.

I agree with Jessica about the Daco 737s not being ideal for a first shot at airliner modelling. The Revell Boeing 737-800 has some accuracy issues and there is a whole thread about correcting them so I'd probably leave it off your list until you've got a few others under your belt. I'd also avoid F-RSIN kits until you have more experience. Outstanding results are possible but they're not easy.

Once you've made your mind up let us know what you're building and we'll gladly give you kit-specific advice.

Edited by Skodadriver

• 5 months later...