1/48 Hurricane Mk I trop, the hard way - Updated June 26th - Completed!

It's a little late for a work in progress, but, I thought I'd still share this with you (remembering the days BEFORE the excellent Airfix Hurricane?)

The ARK Models Hurri - 70% kit parts, 10% chunks of sprue to fill the horrendous voids, and 20% Millput.

I started this when it was the only Hurri Mk I available, and, if I was a reasonable person, should have binned it long ago. I, however, have never been accused of being reasonable, and vowed that no crappy piece of Russian plastic would defeat me!

It was so bad that I had to cut the right fuselage in half to shorten it (both sides were different lengths) then cut it again later to deal with an ugly twist. Attach the wings with blocks of sprue melted in with liquid cement, re-profile the aft fuselage with millput, carve a new lower nose from sprue and millput etc. etc.

It is, in fact, half modelled, half sculpted. Lots of scratch building in the cockpit, and Eduard belts (wish now that I had photographed it)

On with the horror show!

Image3_zpshv44lrpo.jpg

Image5_zpsa1zdcfrk.jpg

aft wing to the fuselage is all scrap plastic and millput, wheel wells lots of scratch building, millput and time

Image1_zpshigtn792.jpg

I did things like run the rudder and trim cables

Image2_zpscnhmxc1m.jpg

and make a loop of .006" brass wire to run the antennae wire through

Image4_zpswcv0aiyb.jpg

Canopy is a Falcon Vac, with inner structure of strip, and brass wire handles inside and out

Image6_zpsm0xwkbcy.jpg

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 3

Excellent work on a 'challenging kit' to say the least

I started this when it was the only Hurri Mk I available,

Puzzled by this, even in Canada you must have the old Airfix Mk I and been able to find the Hasegawa kits?

It was so bad that I had to cut the right fuselage in half to shorten it (both sides were different lengths) then cut it again later to deal with an ugly twist.

Anyway, one other point, the fuselage sides seem to be different lengths, but their not.... the ugly twist is where the missing length is...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934849-classic-airframes-hurricane-worth-getting/#entry1242943

40600077_zps3e5732dc.jpg

The Ark inherits the old Airfix problems, which is it's a bit slim in the main fuselage, and the wings are too thin.

The awful Ark parts breakdown possibly will allow this to be fixed with a modified lower wing centre section, something I have been working on, but is now thankfully obsolete with the new Airfix kit.

Note, there is no panel line behind the 'doghouse'

Image4_zpswcv0aiyb.jpg

there is not a panel line between the 'doghouse', which is plywood covered in fabric then the fabric over stringers, but a strip of fabric doped on.

This a restoration, but the fabric strips have not had the finishing coats of dope, and are clearly seen. I note this has has a coat of aluminium in the pics, but it's not metal. I have seen Hurricane model with bare metal scuffing here, as this is not widely noted detail.

The panels directly beneath the cockpit are metal though.

70.JPG

The strips edges are 'pinked' meaning cut with special scissors which give the little triangles on the edge.

69.JPG

If you want to be really picky, the De Havilland propeller in the Ark kit again is derived from Airfix, and that is a De Havilland Spitfire type, fitted to some early Hurrcanes, before the DH Hurricane type became available, which is the one you need for a Mk I Trop, and is one of the options in the new Airfix kit.

Gobbledygook? this should explain the differences

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

Hope of use, and despite my comments, this is one rarely seen built!

great job on a poor kit. look forward to more.

Cheers

T

Thanks for the reminder, I meant to fill those lines behind the cockpit, but with all the other major surgery, I forgot.

At the time that I started, the only choices were the Hasegawa (OOP, and demanding absurd prices on Ebay) and the 40+ original Airfix kit. The Ark kit LOOKED like a reasonable alternative, but proved to be a crude copy of a mish-mash of other kits, with heavy panel engraving. The one thing it does give you, is a chance to overcome so really impressive fit problems.

This one will never be a contest winner, but I won't have to be embarrassed to have it seen

I've got the paint on the beast, and started the weathering, (and Troy, you may notice I've filled those incorrect panel lines - Thanks!)

I mixed Tamiya acrylics for a slightly faded version of the colors in the RAF museum painting guide, I think they are a fairly close match.

CAMO5_zpsfkjrb6i6.jpg

CAMO3_zpsjb3galr0.jpg

CAMO1_zpsng17tdrn.jpg

CAMO4_zpsjz5lmyet.jpg

It will be marked as "Woody" Woodward's Mk I, of 33 Sqdn (this explains the non-standard, partially overpaint yellow ring)

CAMO6_zpsa7twyv1e.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 5

Didn't those guys in the pic played an important role in a Madness video-clip...????

https://youtu.be/PSTHMxBttlU

Just kidding.....!!!!

When I first saw the "new" Ark Models Hurricane, I felt a kind of fresh air coming into a modeller's room.........I purchased mine back in 2013 at Telford, and everything looked fine while in the sprues. The nightmare started a few days later, back in Tenerife, when I tried to build the beast....Much to my dissapointment, I found it to be the perfect definition for "crappy piece of sh*t"........

I rescribed and old Airfix kit and used the cockpit, undercarriage, etc...form the Ark kit to enhance the Airfix one....except for the deflated tires, of course...

Never before in the history of modelling we had such a a disspointing kit.......:) :) :)

Nevertheless, your kit proves that any crappy amount of plastic can turn into a nice kit with love and care.....

Best regards...

Edited by Artie

"Never before in the history of modelling we had such a a disspointing kit....... :) :) :)

Nevertheless, your kit proves that any crappy amount of plastic can turn into a nice kit with love and care....."

Thanks - it's more like disgust and bloody mindedness than love and care with this kit!

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 5

Some more progress on the Hurricane, it's decaled, and the weathering is under way. When the oils dry, a flat coat, some final pastel touch-ups, and the final detail assembly, and she'll be finished.

weathering1_zpsnpzgqyav.jpg

weathering2_zpszmp6simc.jpg

weathering4_zpsk96y8mqt.jpg

weathering5_zps21j6zlos.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 6

You are showing some fantastic modelling skills improving what seems to be a very 'challenging' kit! Great paint job.

regards,

Martin

Fabulous build - I admire your skills and am rather jealous.. Especially as I can't get my weathering washes quite right..

I am just about to start on a Hurricane build (alas not to this standard) using the old tooling Arfix Hurricane, new tooling Airfix Hurricane and the Itileri Sea Hurricane. Two BoB aeroplanes and an Operation Pedestal aircraft.

Quick question. Was there a primer coat on the metal sections of the airframe which was left under the camouflage paint? When a aircraft was repainted was it stripped down to the primer and repainted or down to the bare metal and no primer re-applied? What happened with the fabric sections - were they just over painted?

Thanks...

Quick question. Was there a primer coat on the metal sections of the airframe which was left under the camouflage paint? When a aircraft was repainted was it stripped down to the primer and repainted or down to the bare metal and no primer re-applied? What happened with the fabric sections - were they just over painted?

Well ... some educated guesses (hopefully others know more) ...

As I understand it, the fabric sections would have initially had many thin coats of red dope to tighten the fabric, then an aluminized dope for UV protection, then be painted with the aircraft paint (as opposed to camo coloured dope). There is no practical way to strip the fabric 's paint without chemically damaging the fabric, so fabric sections would be given a light, careful sanding (to give it some "tooth") and repainted.

On the metal sections, they would originally have been primed (I would guess a zinc chromate primer rather than a red oxide primer, but I don't know for sure), for refinishing, depends on the level of maintenance, and I think it would be on a panel by panel basis, depending on condition. Heavy paint build up or deterioration - strip , prime and repaint, sections in good, smooth condition might well be just sanded and primed. At depot level overhaul, it was probably stripped to bare metal, at squadron level, sand and paint might be more likely, but I would guess you would NEVER see paint applied to bare metal ... and then you got your invasion sripes - grab anybody you can, and give 'em a mop and a bucket of paint!

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1