revell 1/32 supermarine spitfire mk. 22/24

i have decided to try a bigger plane kit, my 1/72 stearman kaydet is still awaiting decals & the 1/72 saetta is still awaiting it's camo they were both put on hold while i finished a Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G. anyway i digress.

spitwip2.jpg

spitwip1.jpg

i have just made a start on assembling the engine while i have a spare 5 minutes.

more to follow

all comments welcome

john

• Like 6

had a chance to do a little work on it. assembled the pilot and a few other ancillary item are now mounted for clean-up and under coating.

decided to try some detailing on the engine so a made a little start on that, replacement pipe made and exhausts drilled out. going to try and run some coolant lines etc when i have a chance.

spitwip3.jpgspitwip4.jpgspitwip5.jpgspitwip6.jpg

i used a small piece of tig welding wire for the pipe and a small piece of a sweet packet for the mounts.

john

• Like 3

Looks interesting! I assume this is ex-Matchbox. I've only ever seen their Tiger Moth in a build, and that looked quite good. I presume it isn't the same quality as the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire...

Regards,

Adrian

i understand it is the old airfix reboxed as there is is a mark inside the fuselage that looks like the makers name has been ground out of the mould. i read somewhere that they had done that.

john

i understand it is the old airfix reboxed as there is is a mark inside the fuselage that looks like the makers name has been ground out of the mould. i read somewhere that they had done that.

john

Definitely the Matchbox. Airfix never did 1/32. I rcognise the pilot, and you will find the centre part of the instument panel on the clear sprue.

• 3 weeks later...

not had much chance to work on the model recently. although i did manage to paint the pilot.

WP_20150703_13_02_52_Raw1.jpg

i think i was a little heavy with the wash and didn't give him a coat of varnish beforehand. managed to get a few pieces ready for undercoat aswell.

more updates soon time permitting

all comments welcome

john

Edited by avisler
  • Like 4

Brings back some memories.... I built the Matchbox kit as a kid,and the Revell rebox as a nostalgia build.

Watch out for the fit of the wings especially the lower 3 pieces, my Revell kit had a mild warp in it and it was a pain in the butt to get everything lined up and still looking like a Spitfire.

I'd so like to see one of the big manufacturers do a 1/32 Griffon Spitfire family,much more brutal looking machines than their Merlin siblings...yet they get no love..

Edited by mungo1974

• 1 month later...

sorry for not posting for a while the kids have been running me ragged. have had a few minutes to sit down and do some more after having to move workspace again. :weep:

WP_20150716_18_37_15_Raw1.jpg

WP_20150812_15_26_56_Raw1.jpg

WP_20150716_18_39_53_Raw1.jpg
WP_20150812_15_26_42_Raw1.jpg

sorry for the picture quality i hate using my mobile to take photo's with. so lots more to do stay tuned updates sooner rather than later i hope

all comments welcome

john

Edited by avisler
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

had a little time to wrestle the fuselage & wings together, i really had not noticed how badly it was twisted. :(

006a.jpg

you can see some of the twist in the lower wing connector in the above image. a bit of filler work will be needed on the wing/fuselage joints.

003a.jpg

i still haven't decided if i am going to have her in flight or on ground so will have to touch up the interior where the guns and ammo are mounted.

004a.jpg

i just hope i can straighten out the engine bay a bit more before i try to fit the engine.

more updates soon time permitting

all comments welcome

john

• Like 4

evening all.

managed to get a little time at her again today getting the engine mounted and starting what may prove to be many hours of filling and sanding.

007a.jpg

004a_1.jpg

002a.jpg

as always comments & criticism welcome

more later as time permits

john

• Like 6

well after a good fight the top engine covers have been mangled into place.

001b.jpg

002b.jpg

003b.jpg

004b.jpg

i have also had a chance to get some filling done. next up a nice undercoat so i can check for any more tidying up before final assembly.

i am toying with the idea of turning a set of cannons myself rather than use the plastic ones provided.

as always comments & criticism welcome

more later as time permits

john

• Like 1