Bf109 G14 Gelb 4 15/JG5, Lister, Norway

Hi Folks, here is my AZModel Bf109 Erla built G14 of 15/JG5 based in Norway in May 1945. The kit included the markings for this aircraft however I had a set of Eaglecal decals that also had them so I used those as they appeared to be a slightly better quality. The kit was built OOB with the exception of the pitot tube which is brass tube and wire. Painted using a mixture of Mr Color and Mr Hobby paints and given a light dusting of some pastel chalks for the exhaust and dust.

I built this one alongside AZModel's G5 kit and the comments I made about the fit (of the engine cowls in particular) stand for this one too. I made a few mistakes, sanding off details that should have stayed in place, but the instructions are quite vague as they are generic to all the AZModel 109's so check your references often.

I copied a profile from the MMP Book, "Bf109 Late Versions, Camouflage and Markings" for the colour scheme.

This kit fills a gap in my Bf109 collection as I don't think there was an off the shelf G14 in 1/72 available until this came out * (although it isn't particularly difficult to convert a decent G6 kit).

I had a problem with Humbrol's Clear crazing prior to decaling the kit so I haven't used my usual techniques for weathering but I'm calling this one finished anyway.

This was the profile I was aiming for

F30C5F8E-53FA-4E71-BE2F-0BE63FAC6804_zps

thumb_IMG_1709_1024_zpspnbjrfnw-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1714_1024_zpsg0mn7vc4-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1708_1024_zpsypxfop1m-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1717_1024_zpsimykvn8u-L.jpg

And with it's G6 stablemate

thumb_IMG_1718_1024_zpsokah3qqg-L.jpg

Duncan B

* I had obviously forgotten about the Hasegawa and Academy offerings or my mind had blanked them out possibly

• Like 28

Oh yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about that one (and have tried hard to forget the Academy horror too). I think it's just a rehash of their skinny G6 (which is basically what a G14 was anyway).

Duncan B

I think it's just a rehash of their skinny G6 (which is basically what a G14 was anyway).

Yep, with a different tail and so forth. Is there a cheap book that can easily be read at arm's length that covers the disturbing multifariousness of late-war 109s? I have the Squadron Signal book on the F-K.

• Like 1

There are many, many books on the wonderful Bf109, the Kagero books are worth a look as they have descriptions and line drawings highlighting the various changes made to make the 109 even more beautiful :)

Duncan B

Well done for finishing another AZ 109 Duncan- great result from a difficult kit. I really like the extra detail on the camo scheme too.(not really clear on the kit box) Cheers -Dave.

• Like 1

Duncan, congrats for an excellent model! The paint job is superb :goodjob:

Regarding books on 109, I'd recommend, as a first overall read, Aviation Classics's "bookazine" on the type (issue number 18). It covers the history of Willy Messerschmitt, the devolpment and operation of all 109 models and also their use after WWII (even in Israel!).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2