Acrylic Varnish Matt

PhantomBigStu

Having got fed up with humbrol matt ruining models by going cloudy once the pot gets under a quarter full i switched to revell aqua matt clear, which unlike their truly excellent clear gloss is awful, similar to what the quarter full humbrols is it just me or is it truly poor?

F3092EF9-2141-42F2-8996-2EF7FB8F69A7_zps

for comparison two painted the same, the spitfire wing aft of the cannon (rest hasn't been dusted) is humbrol matt, then on the hurricane is the paint itself up untill the landing light, then revell matt, can see the humbrol just a matt version of the same colours, where as revell completely changes them

Stu

I've been using Vallejo Matt varnish for a while now and have found that to be pretty good. I know slit of people on hear also use Windsor and Newton Galleria Matt varnish. That maybe worth a try.

James

Winsor and Newton Galleria, with a touch of flow improver. It's a flat as a pancake, dries quickly and goes on a treat. A soft brush works, and it will airbrush easily if mixed with some Liquitex airbrush medium.

Hi Stu,

Winsor and Newton matt varnish is really excellent and gives you great control of the degree of matt you want to achieve. Having said that, I used Revell's Aqua matt varnish for some years quite happily. That was with an AB though and it looks like you're a brush painter. Do you thin it down first? It's very gloopy as standard so brushing on an undiluted coat would probably lead to a very thick finish.

Cheers,

Roger

Good timing with this thread. I've been running into probs with Vallejo Matt and Satin varnishes recently, drying with a sight bloom/white powder kind of finish. Don't know why it's happening and I'm running tests atm.

And I've also found out they're not that resistant to MIG thinners either. :(

I'm a Vallejo fan but I'm looking to change and I'll probably go with Galleria next, heard only good things about it ... and I can get it locally at The Range :)

Is this the white pots of humbrol?

Ive just switched to Humbrol Mattcote in the glass screw-lid jar & the finishes for me are (so far) really good.

The Glosscote is really good too.

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/modelcote-matt-cote-28ml-bottle.html

Its enamel, but so far i've found its safe to use on decals, but the Mattcote will need a bloody good shake before you use it.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

no didn't thin it as never needed to the gloss, should I put a bit of water in it?

Yes - that's all I ever used although adding some W&N flow enhancer is a good thing too but not essential with brushes. It's been a while since I used it but from memory I probably thinned at least 50/50 for use with the AB and maybe even a little more water than that. I think you'll see a significant difference as soon as you start diluting it. It will also help prevent getting the chalky bloom that can occur if there's too thick a coat of varnish.

Cheers,

Roger

but the Mattcote will need a bloody good shake before you use it.

Amen to that- first time I used it I got a gloss finish- then I worked out all of the matt was in the bottom of the bottle- shake it like mad before you brush it on and a nice flat matt finish should result.

Yes - that's all I ever used although adding some W&N flow enhancer is a good thing too but not essential with brushes. It's been a while since I used it but from memory I probably thinned at least 50/50 for use with the AB and maybe even a little more water than that. I think you'll see a significant difference as soon as you start diluting it. It will also help prevent getting the chalky bloom that can occur if there's too thick a coat of varnish.

Cheers,

Roger

tried it out and certainly has improved it, have only tested it on the wing tips, will persit with finishing the hurri, see what it looks like with a total coat of matt....

well given the whole model a coat, don't like it at all, still looks misty, not like I can thin it much more, its not far off full fat milk thin

now this galaria stuff this the one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/300/dp/B002AF6QTC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434481720&sr=8-2&keywords=Winsor+and+Newton+matt+varnish

Edited by PhantomBigStu

The one I got, from The Range, came in a clear bottle but I think the 250ml bottles looked like that.

In short, I think it is the stuff but I can't zoom the picture to read the label.

Edited by Beard

Is there a Range where you live? The one down the road from me has a massive art and craft section that has plenty of W&N stuff... might be cheaper to buy from a shop than to use Amazon.

is a range though its a fair drive and I only venture their occasionally as theirs not much else to head that way for (and I don't drive), is an arts shop in town that might sell it though doubt its cheaper seeing as I paid 4.28 last time in their for a paintbrush

Edited by PhantomBigStu

So, in post 6 I said I was going to get some Galeria Matt Varnish.

I did and I've just tried it .... Holy non-reflective surfaces batman!

Did a 50/50 varnish/water test and sprayed brilliantly. Not totally matt ( between matt and satin) but I may have added too much water. Also it doesn't seem to tint the colour much either.

I've yet to test how resilient it is to MIG thinners but I'm a convert!

ATM I use Aqua gloss for my acrylic varnish, MIG thinners is completely impervious to it (which is what I need) but it's not easy to get hold of, so my question is ... has anyone used the Galleria Gloss varnish? Is it robust?

• 2 weeks later...

Does it need to be thinned?

My bottle definitely does but PhantomBigStu reckons his bottle is almost too thin so it could be down to different batches. All you can do is try it.

In short if you need to thin it, then you can use water, though I use UMP (Ultimate Modelling Products) thinners

• Like 1