Hawker Spanish Fury, Matchbox (conv.) 1/72

Hi,

Hawker Spanish Fury was a modification of Hawker Fury (I) . Out of planned production of about 50 only three of them saw combat in SCW. From outside it had different cooler and undercaridge adopted from Gloster Gladiator (I heard it that way - please corect if I am wrong). Now A-model is producing such kit, but mine is scratch converted from Matchbox kit - well ... - fourty years ago, in 1975.... I was 16. OK, still it was quartary... :)

Markings are from 1938, where "4-1" was reconstructed by canibalization of wrecks of original "4-1" and "4-2".

My original build was without rigging, with blue undresurfaces and relatively small national markings (Spanish roundels) from below. This was following some article in a British model magazine those years - I do not remember exact reference. Now, before posting I wanted to add rigging, I've bought EZ wire just to try. I failed with attaching withour drilling holes, perhaps it is possible, but I failed... So I have to drill. Then I have to fix them and mix the colours (to match Airfix colours which I used in 1975) to paint filled holes. Therefore I decided to take this oportunity to change botorm colour to silver/alumnium dope. Overal "silver" were Spanish Furies painted before SCW. Since they left roundels from bottom - it means that bottom colour was not changed - so it should not be light blue but aluminum dope. By this chance I replaced bottom roundes to bigger one, following some photo presented in book "Aviones el la Guerra Civil Espanola" - which was mentioned here (in my posts on SCW machines) several times.

And I added Pitot tube. And a bit repainted pilot's suit (helmet and colar).

Here is the result:

Before

fury DSC04333fury DSC04334

Finished repair: 

fury DSC04363fury DSC04364fury DSC04365fury DSC04366fury DSC04367fury DSC04373fury DSC04374

EDIT And here is a whole set of my Britts, from Spanish Civil War (on both sides due to GAL Monospar...)

britt SCV DSC04372britt SCV DSC04370britt REP DSC04369

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 20

I remember your Fury standing for some six years in my cabinet :) Now - after rigging - it looks much better!

Yeh, old story...Thank you Mike:). Those years from Spain I had Fury, Tupolev SB2 , Do 17 F and Hs 123.

King Flayer and PergerCRO - Thank you for comment. This is just Britsh part of mine SCW set. It is about 1/3 of whole Spanish War collection. I posted majority of them during last year, but still some are yet to be posted.

Cheers

J-W

Thank you Plastix and Mitch for comments :) All of this "Britt set" were posted individually during last Autumn :).

I am now working on upgrating my also 40-years old Do17F and Tupolev SB2.... Both were done before i started to use filler :weep:

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy!!!!

Nice to see an Old Friend well built as all the jobs you have presented here, nicely done and bright in colour and with that rigging that made me think what i will have to do when I build mine.....rigging is a feared task in modelling for me and with some bipes i have...will have to look how did you do to do mines one day.

I have had bought one of them in the new Revell Incarnation as this one is the first Matchbox kit (PK-1 Indeed) and found that mine haven't had the windshield, the people of the Store I bought, (Kasperle, BTW The Autorized local Revell distribuitor) told me to give it back to them and when I asked if they have had another to replace mine and the answer was "NO, but you can choose any another model"...I was tempted but said "No thanks, I can live with it that way unless you will have more of the same for sell or change mine"......is better to have it that way than none, isn't it???

I would buy another to make one as yours, I have watched a profile in a Green/Swanborough Squadron book, and looks wonderful.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

PD: I forgot to say WONDERFUL about the Family Protrait you have presented here, your museum is really a quality built and kept model showcase!!!!!!

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Nice work. This 'period-piece' kit is actually working in its hand-painted scheme (as you can imagine that's what was actually probably more often than not required of 'low or no-budget' historical conflicts). It grows on you.

Nice rigging too - I can imagine that was no easy task.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by KiwiRho
  • Like 1

Very nice, J-W! I love SCW aircraft - I really must get back to building (and re-building) them someday. I actually did this very conversion, but I did mine silver/aluminium overall with the roundels on top also. I also did the Basque Bulldog, but I like yours better than mine!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hawker Fury was the first kit produced by Matchbox.

First edition had a two parts box.

An old nice survivor of the 1970's. hard to believe the kit was built in 1975.

I recognize Frog Perceval Proctor and Heller or frog Dragon rapide on the photos.

• Like 1

Nice job on the Fury Jerzy, & the rest of your SCW models, a really different group & interesting for that. :)

I've the A-models kit in my stock, you did yours decades ago & the hard way. I'm shamed at my inactivity sometimes. :(

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Gents, I appreciate very much your comments. Many thanks.

Some explanation on what is seen in the my "British set" (despite the neutrality politics and embargo). Besides Hawker Spanish Fury they are (and link to original post):

Miles Speed Six
Gal ST 25 Monospar
DH 89 M Dragon Rapide
Bristol Buldog
Airspeed Envoy
Miles Falcon Six

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966175-miles-falcon-six-scratch-conversion-of-frog-miles-magister/

Kira666 - Thank you, I am sorry but there is no Percival Proctor (Frog). - I think you ment Miles Falcon Six, which is my scratch work from Miles Migister (... also by Frog :) ). Dh 89 is Heller/Airfix kit

Do not worry Luis - windscreen in Fury - I am sure - you can easily made from a piece of thicker plastic foil :)

Steve and Jason - I am keeping my finger crossed for your new builds! :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1