Hawker Nimrod Mk.I.....starting a new project...

Artie

Hi all...after some time toying with the idea of converting an Airfix's Hawker Fury into its navalized counterpart, and with the unvaluable aid of some members of this board , I've decided to give it a try and make this idea became a reality....So off we go, and here's what I've collected for now:

20150609_0059181.jpg

Best regards..

Edited by Artie
  • Like 2

Good start - I built a 1/72 Nimrod years ago by using two Matchbox Fury kits and scratch building the other changes.

Two Airfix kits, the reference book and the decals....I think that's all I need to start the conversion. I've also grabbed some parts from here and there, bigger whels, plastic card, some PE leftovers, etc...The most dificult part to scratch build is going to be the chin mounted oil cooler....

Cheers...

A great project ! I've been wanting to do one from a wrecked MB kit for some 25 years now, for the gorgeous markings possibilities, but never came around... This interest simply came along after seeing the AvNews drawings. No idea how they compare with the MMP ones, but in case you're interested how they look - drop a line.

I felt in love with this project after receiving the Mushroom book, gently adviced by Ali62 (thanks a lot)........not just the Nimrod, but lots of interesting Furies and even a High Speed Fury are now in my wish list.....but...aren't those thirties silver wings the lovliest planes you've ever seen...????

Cheers...

• Like 1

I felt in love with this project after receiving the Mushroom book, gently adviced by Ali62 (thanks a lot)........not just the Nimrod, but lots of interesting Furies and even a High Speed Fury are now in my wish list.....but...aren't those thirties silver wings the lovliest planes you've ever seen...????

Cheers...

Thank the gods of all stars - Another convert !!

Not a Nimrod - but near :-

BMc8bcm.jpg

Dennis

Remember that the Nimrod wings have a 3" greater chord than the Fury. (63" and 60" respectively) The Granger Nimrod drawings are very good. The Mushroom Nimrod drawings are under scale. The overall shape of parts of the Airfix kit are better than theLindberg/Pyro kit.

John

Remember that the Nimrod wings have a 3" greater chord than the Fury. (63" and 60" respectively) The Granger Nimrod drawings are very good. The Mushroom Nimrod drawings are under scale. The overall shape of parts of the Airfix kit are better than theLindberg/Pyro kit.

John

Great info again from John.

3" in 1/48 scale is approx 1.5 mm, I suppose you could cut the wings and splice in a piece of 60 thou plasticard, I'm not going to bother on my build, it will look like a Nimrod even if it is 3" short in chord.

Great idea,....I did the same some time ago and it was a nice addition to my Fleet Air Arm collection.

Remember to chose the right version,....you probably know this anyway but as I didn`t when I started my conversion I thought I`d mention that the Mk.I had straight wings where the Nimrod Mk.II had slightly swept back wings?

Good luck,

Cheers

Tony

• 5 months later...
Remember that the Nimrod wings have a 3" greater chord than the Fury. (63" and 60" respectively) The GrangerNimrod drawings are very good. The Mushroom Nimrod drawings are under scale. The overall shape of parts of the Airfix kit are better than theLindberg/Pyro kit.

Please, perhaps - can somone can me more detailed - how it is with wings of Nimrod, especially Nimrod II? I have two sets of drawings for Nimrod II and Nimrod I, one of it is Dannish second is English). On those both drawings both lower and upper wings for Nimrod II (sloped wings) have the same chord and it is as wide as chord of upper wing of A-model kit of Fury. It is about 2.23 cm - so exactly what should be for 63 inches. In case of the lower wing on these drawings for Nimrod I (stright wing) the chord is smaller (by about 1.5 mm), the same as lower wing of Fury from A-model (1/72). This looks like 60 inches. So my question is - is the 63'' the chord of both wings of Nimrod II and upper wing of Nimrod I? In other words - are my drawings OK? The second question is about the ribs for Nimrod II (sloped wings). Were they perpendicular to wing edges or were they parallel to fuselage? On drawings I have it looks that they are prallel to fuselage.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM

Which drawings do you have ? I ***think*** the chord of the wings is the same for both I and II, with the lower wings having slightly smaller chord than the uppers on both. In case you missed it, this thread has loads of good info. Seems the Nimrod is a well-loved plane :)

Edited by tempestfan

Which drawings do you have ? I ***think*** the chord of the wings is the same for both I and II, with the lower wings having slightly smaller chord than the uppers on both. In case you missed it, this thread has loads of good info. Seems the Nimrod is a well-loved plane :)

Well, I'll trust the Mushroom book.......and given the fact that, as you've correctly said, it's a very well loved subject, I'll try to do my best not to dissapoint any of you.....I've started to convert the wings, and scratch-building the cockpit. The most difficult thing I've found to do is the nose mounted oil-cooler....what a nightmare...!!!

The worst thing aout those interwar silver beauties, is the fact that once you fall in love with them, cannot resign yourself with any other camouflaged flying thing....

Cheers...!!!

I think I found answers to my questions from previous mail. Here are contemporary photos of Nimrod Mk II

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hawker_Nimrod_II_K3661_1a_(6117029293).jpg

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2011/airshows-uk-duxford-flying-legends-preview/

and for me chord of both wings is the same...

But for Nimrod I (No 573) - here:

http://www.sbap.be/events/2012/016duxjub2012/016duxjub2012.htm

Lower wing chord is a bit smaller then upper. On my screen it is about 2 mm.

For Nimrod II ribs are parallel to fuselage like for Hart family.

Regards

J-W

Although the 1982 Granger drawings show both upper and lower wing chord (of both Mk I and Mk II) as 63 in, I do see a difference of some 5% when looking at the photos of both machines. So it should be something like 65 in upper and 62 in lower (or 63 and 60 or maybe 66 and 63). Perhaps the best solution is to ask directly Stephen Grey at TFC :)

I'm just wondering if there is a little confusion on the wing chords. I understand the Nimrod to have both top and lower chords the same at 63", whilst the Fury wings are 60" (top) and 58" (lower). I believe that the Nimrod drawings which were found in Demark and assisted in the full size rebuilds are the same ones which were the reference for Tage Larsens drawings for the Nimrod. I would be a little wary of comparing wing chords from photos taken with long lenses on an aeroplane with sweep back and dissimilar dihedrals.

John

• Like 1