1/48 New Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F - Finished - Photos now in RFI section

Nice job on the L&L.....Very tidily done. :thumbsup:

Thank you Sarge. I quite enjoyed doing them!

Knowing me, if I'd drilled all them holes, I'd probably fill them with paint.

On the bench at the moment is a F-4S Phantom and a AH-1W Cobra, both in paint. I got 2 Dragon kits

on Sunday,a Churchill with waders and the King Tiger, not really sure which one to start, most likely be

the Churchill. Won't be another RPM FT-31 that's for sure.

Sean

Hi Sean. I shall look forward to seeing the Phantom and Cobra in the RFI section at some point then! Sounds like Sunday was good for presents! Either of those sounds great but, knowing me, I'd probably do the KT first. And I fully understand about the FT-31!!!

Looks very nice, clean and perfect, i like the realistic looking "sack" of the tracks.

:thumbsup:

Thank you Bernd. Yes I thought Tamiya had done the tracks well in this respect - in fact I think they look better than I'd expected link'n'length tracks to look. Quite impressed I am! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting. This is another one of those 1/48 kits that are in my stash. I'm definitely taking notes. Lookin' good so far. Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob. Thank you for your comments - hopefully I can do this fine 1/48 kit from Tamiya some justice.

I was working on this a fair bit yesterday but got carried away and didn't take any 'in progress' photos, but I did manage to get most of the additional parts attached as well as adding most of the decals plus I started on the weathering.

Yesterday evening I couldn't resist taking some photos of this tank on my Spitfire display shelf:

19026629000_5bfed9d24a_c.jpg

19214253785_5c65c6ef73_c.jpg

18591754104_4920d367b6_c.jpg

19208394832_05589094e4_c.jpg

18593697973_01ec1a7943_c.jpg

19028150739_19c92e12c4_c.jpg

19188150796_9725c91bef_c.jpg

19028107149_9d35c80808_c.jpg

19214237715_55698f64c3_c.jpg

19026662138_87554a7c58_c.jpg

19026659888_a7bdaf1537_c.jpg

18593680553_347edfdf64_c.jpg

I still need to add one more decal, finish the weathering - including adding more mud - plus make up and paint the figure.

More later today - I hope!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Thank you Roger.......and here is the next instalment -

So this was the state of play first thing this morning:

19044835618_bc2243f811_c.jpg

19044779740_bdedf27cbc_c.jpg

19044826658_3747a04b6b_c.jpg

First I decided to work on the figure. It looks good although Tamiya moulded the headphones with plastic inside the headband where there should be gaps:

19236142521_18a5b7259e_c.jpg

I didn't like the look of that so I went to work with a couple of micro drills and a craft knife - I also glued on the arms:

19232397485_3dbf43e90c_c.jpg

I felt that looked a lot better.

And with the head attached:

19236130831_7cdd9584f4_c.jpg

Then I got carried away again painting the figure plus further weathering the tank and adding more mud. And this is the result so far with the figure now in place:

18611812773_483fba305a_c.jpg

When I started this tank I hadn't realised quite how small the original tank was and therefore how small this kit is. It's only when I compared it to my 1/48 Tiger 1 that I noticed how small it is!

A few photos with a ten pence piece for scale:

19206282036_e5b3129ff7_c.jpg

19046219099_e7af2da292_c.jpg

19044738220_008c7fd2ff_c.jpg

19046209229_6229f6c013_c.jpg

Next I need to finish the weathering, apply a matt coat and possibly add some stowage.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

Very smart indeed, I really like the subdued markings.....I reckon a light dust-coat of the running gear and lower hull should wrap things up and help to blend in the fresher mud, which looks perhaps just a bit isolated as is. :shrug:

I normally do this with an airbrush, very lightly misting on an earth tone or two in a couple of passes, but it can be done with a rattle-can if you are very careful not to get the spray too close to the model. :coolio:

• Like 1

WOW !! I really like the way that you tackled the weathering. With the magnification of the photographs, it looks just right ... not overdone. That's what I'll be aiming for. Once again, thanks for posting. Bob

• Like 1

Lovely build, your tank with the well painted figure looks really the part.

Congrats !

Hi Bernd. Thank you. I think it's great that Tamiya include figures in some of their kits - it really does add something to have the vehicles staffed. And this figure is really good, apart from the plastic infill between the headphones headband and the head - but it was fairly easy to remove.

Excellent Stix! The tank commander really finishes it off. :yahoo:

Thank you Greg for your kind comments.

Very smart indeed, I really like the subdued markings.....I reckon a light dust-coat of the running gear and lower hull should wrap things up and help to blend in the fresher mud, which looks perhaps just a bit isolated as is. :shrug:

I normally do this with an airbrush, very lightly misting on an earth tone or two in a couple of passes, but it can be done with a rattle-can if you are very careful not to get the spray too close to the model. :coolio:

Thank you Sarge.Got to admit I goofed with this stage! I meant to add some thinned Dark Earth, which I was going to apply with a stippling brush, to those areas to get a dusty appearance, but I was a bit overzealous with the mud!! I realised partway through but decided to finish the mud anyway. I will try and get some on next weekend - I think it should be okay! :frantic:

Lovely next installment and that is really quite a nicely sculpted figure, there's some nice folds and creases on the sleeves.

I think I'm going to have to give one of these 1/48th kits a try next trip away.

Thank you Roger - yes the figure Tamiya provide is really nice.

I have to admit I think 1/48 is a really good scale for tanks. Tamiya's all seem to get good reviews although some of their earlier ones have the metal lower hulls which are a bit devoid of detail. The Hobby Boss Sherman and the AFV Club Tiger 1 I built for the Achtung Panzer GB were also really nice kits to make.

Nice looking kit, I like the commander in the cpoula.

Ozzy

Thank you Ozzy.

WOW !! I really like the way that you tackled the weathering. With the magnification of the photographs, it looks just right ... not overdone. That's what I'll be aiming for. Once again, thanks for posting. Bob

Thank you Bob. That's very kind of you to say.

wow, that is amazing Stix.. you are realy geting better and better with every single part of kit you glue together/paint!!! absolutely amazing work Stix

Thank you as always Wolwe - you are very kind.

As usual I took some photos yesterday of the 38(t) on the base I use for photos and, if I get chance, I will post them later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Right - some photos of this tank on my Spitfire display base:

19070904429_d394f5d9b8_c.jpg

19069439840_9fb292a320_c.jpg

19251100162_7050a51824_c.jpg

18634562084_0e11d65383_c.jpg

19251096792_ddc511c5b5_c.jpg

19257021515_14fe7f38b5_c.jpg

19069431260_7b9957da90_c.jpg

19069428890_fd2aca5593_c.jpg

19069434648_bd1fea0cfe_c.jpg

19070888819_0626fff0ab_c.jpg

19230945336_1371e31499_c.jpg

Now I also wanted to take one from above but the colour doesn't always look very good with the green grass underneath - (a problem with automatic cameras - like on an iPad) so I often use a plain white piece of card under the model. This usually works well but the grey on this tank looked way too dark so I thought I could use a black background which I rather liked the effect of:

19069420680_7c6f2e7742_c.jpg

Admittedly I had to darken it a bit to get it to look about right but, as I said, I liked the appearance and so I thought I'd try some other views with a black background:

19069418880_35b11542ab_c.jpg

18636470153_ceed9e00c3_c.jpg

18634542934_1370b88674_c.jpg

19070878649_14bb7c8cd2_c.jpg

More next weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

The final photos on the black background suggest a damp feel to the model, the mud looks more plausible as fresh spatter than residual build up.....A diorama set in a misty forest firebreak or rainsoaked Russian village might suit it well. :coolio:

PS - Finally got to the post! :blush:

• Like 1

Nice idea with the black backdrop, i have used a similar backdrop on my winter whitewashed Tamiya T-34 1/48, posted a while back.

It put the object more in the foreground, than a diorama. On the otherside, a muddy eastern "Rollbahn" is the perfect match for a tank like this.

Great build ! :wow::thumbsup:

• Like 1

A superb little Panzer Stix. Nicely weathered. Joe

• Like 1

The final photos on the black background suggest a damp feel to the model, the mud looks more plausible as fresh spatter than residual build up.....A diorama set in a misty forest firebreak or rainsoaked Russian village might suit it well. :coolio:

Hi Sarge. Yes I can see what you mean. I shall have a think about a little diorama for this one - your ideas might have given me an idea! Thank you.
And I shall watch out for the post and not sit on it! :winkgrin:

Nice idea with the black backdrop, i have used a similar backdrop on my winter whitewashed Tamiya T-34 1/48, posted a while back.

It put the object more in the foreground, than a diorama. On the otherside, a muddy eastern "Rollbahn" is the perfect match for a tank like this.

Great build ! :wow::thumbsup:

Hi Bernd. Any chance of posting a link to your whitewashed T-34? And I think I may be playing with mud at some point! :bounce::thumbsup:

A superb little Panzer Stix. Nicely weathered. Joe

Thank you for your kind comments Joe - and you are right it is little! Very little!

Great pics stix. The black background focuses the eye more on the model, and all the subtle painting and weathering. Very nice work indeed. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Thank you Greg - very kind of you. I was surprised but quite pleased with how well the tank shows up in this style of photo. Not sure it would work with all different types but I might have a play at some point! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

The 38t is a really fantastic build Stix, Looks amazingly realistic :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

The other German heavies you started this thread off with are magic too :analintruder:

Thank you Julian - you're very kind.

No problem, Stix. Here is a link:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977514-tamiya-t-34-148/

Not much mud on mine, so its a deep frozen winter time :-)

Its a nice scale for tanks

Hi Bernd. Thank you for the link - I remember it well now - excellent modelling and painting. As I said when I commented in your RFI thread - if it was in front of a back-scene, on a diorama base, you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't the real thing. Beautiful painting and weathering.

I really like 1/48 for tanks too - although I've still got plans for some 1/72 and 1/35 tanks too!

But next up, after I've finished this one (possibly this coming weekend), are two more Spitfires for the Battle of Britain GB when it starts in 10 days time!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Sarge. PM sent. You're a star! Thank you.

Edited by PlaStix

Wonderful modelling again Stix, I leave you alone for a couple of days

and you have it finished. I haven't even the Churchill out of the box.

I await the dio......... :popcorn:

Sean

• Like 1

Thank you Sean. I'm hoping to get some work done on the diorama this weekend - the BoB GB starts the following weekend so it'll be back to Spitfires for a while! :pilot:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1