Airfix 1/72nd Blenheim to Bolingbroke Conversion, Sea Scheme RCAF Patricia Bay.

Hiya Folks,

Many people assume that the Bolingbroke was simply a Blenheim Mk.IV which was built in Canada but there is a lot more to the story than that! It would take a whole book to explain the Bolingbroke story but in a nutshell Bristol in the UK were building the Blenheim Mk.I bomber while Fairchild in Canada were building a derivative known as the Bolingbroke as a maritime reconnaissance aircraft to serve with the RAF, RCAF and RAAF. The most distinctive part of the design was the longer nose with a scalloped upper glazed area which gave the Navigator much more room to work in as well as a chart table and Bristol in the UK liked this so much that they introduced it onto the Blenheim to result in the Blenheim Mk.IV. The rear fuselage of the Bolingbroke also housed a fourth crew member in the form of a dedicated Wireless Operator rather than the combined WOP/Air Gunner in the Blenheim (who had his radios mounted behind the turret) and he was given a circular window at his position in front of the turret. Development of the Bolingbroke took longer than expected so the RAF and RAAF left the project (both ordering Hudson`s from the USA instead while the RAF also ordered more Anson`s) but the RCAF stuck with it.

Due to its maritime role the Bolingbroke also had a dinghy mounted within a lengthened engine nacelle and as a cold weather oil system was also fitted to cope with the harsh Canadian conditions this caused the other nacelle to be slightly bigger than that of the Blenheim too. Another modification made for the cold weather was rubber de icing boots fitted to the wing, tail and fin leading edges and the exhausts had tubes fitted to the front, (which should be removed from the Airfix kit if building a Blenheim!).

So that is the basic explanation,....Ever since I watched the film `Son of Lassie' I have always fancied building a model of a Canadian Bolingbroke as this film features the type (plus Ventura`s and Kittyhawks) in glorious Technicolour and although the film itself is a bit ropey, the aircraft shots are superb, with RCAF Patricia Bay doubling as `Somewhere in Scotland'. The white `sea scheme' on the type has always interested me and as it will fit in nicely along side my white RCAF Digby and Ventura I went ahead with this having been sent some amazing reference photos,.....and for anybody who wishes to look at the Work In Progress thread including a view of the real subject aircraft, here it is;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979317-airfix-blenheim-mkiv-into-a-rcaf-bolingbroke-mkiv-conversion-finished/

Onto the model,......here it is,.....built to represent Bolingbroke Mk.IV, 9140/P (ex 115 (BR) Sqn RCAF) serving with Western Air Command at RCAF Patricia Bay in 1943;

27991321859_1684575b16_k.jpgDSCF4903 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27991321539_6d804cdcad_k.jpgDSCF4906 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

24900217947_b75f2e3538_k.jpgDSCF4904 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

24900218717_a2037503ba_k.jpgDSCF4901 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27991322149_7aa4974278_k.jpgDSCF4898 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

24900219677_953458a220_k.jpgDSCF4896 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The white was applied using a Tamiya rattle can but the upper surfaces were brush painted using Aeromaster Dark Slate Grey and Tamiya Dark Grey acrylics while the decals were a combination of spares box and DK Models from their excellent Blenheim/Bolingbroke sheet. I`m a bit disappointed with the twin Browning turret guns from my spares box which were added to replace the incorrect twin Vickers K Guns so I`m looking out for a better set,

Hope you like it,..ad a very big thank you to Jim Bates, Terry Higgins and, Carl Vincent for all of their help.

Cheers,

Tony

PS- The clear DF loop cover which was distictive to most Bolingbrokes was made from a pair of clear bulges from an old Matchbox Mossie kit fitted together and mounted upon an old brass radio blade antennae.

PPS- I meant to say that the clear bubbles on the cockpit side windows were grafted on from vacuformed items supplied with an old MPM Blenheim kit as the Airfix kit does not supply these in the kit for some reason!

Edit; As requested,...here is an underside view;

25906148968_b47b69cd49_k.jpgDSCF4970 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 44

Great build Tony and insightful enough to encourage me to look into the history of the two aircraft in more detail.

Especially after seeing the Blenheim at Throckmorton today!

Rick.

Lovely work as always Tony. I've always liked that kind of Coastal Command scheme and it looks lovely on this aircraft.

Outstanding.

Eng

Absolutely gorgeous build Tony, and really unusual in that scheme. I laughed at the reference to the Matchbox Mosquito clear bits - I used the same bits on my Merlin to be the side blisters on the fuselage! Good to see old kits living on in other forms!

Pat

I know the scheme on this aircraft is not the full TSS but the Blenheim/Boliingbroke quite suits the EDSG and DSG. I am finishing off a FAA Mk 1 from the Hannants Blenheim transfers and it looks a fine machine. As an aircraft always associated with the bomber scheme of Dark Green and Dark Earth the TSS camouflage is different but the airframe certainly suits it.

This Bolingbroke is a real beauty. Great job.

Superb Bolingbroke!  Would love to see the pics in your WIP, but the cursed PB blocked image thing is preventing that... :(  Any chance you can repost those?

• Like 1

Great scheme and build Tony.  I have got one still to do but as a Blenheim used by 404  Squadron at Thorney Island before the unit got Beaufighters. So a basic Coastal Command finish for mine 

• Like 1