Walking Dead or The Zombies R Coming

Hi,

After the work I have done on my series of 1/24 scale Post Apocalyptic cars, I thought I would continue the theme but in 1/35 scale. I was inspired by theanorak73 "Zombie Attack" diorama - excellent but by the way, if you have not seen it.

I will be using the MiniArt Factory with Stairs as the main building but adding scratch built shop fronts to extended the building.

Dio.jpg

The main figures will be from Master Box:

Zombies.jpg

The bike will be from Tamiya:

Bike.jpg

The end of the building with the stairs will be an alleyway, in which the follow vehicle from Meng will be parked (without the gun):

Meng.jpg

On the stairs will be this figure from "Not Yet Dead Miniatures" called Doreen:

Doreen.jpg

And possible (somewhere) this figure also from "Not Yet Dead" called Max:

Max.jpg

To add a little interest I will have a burnt out car as well, this BMW from Takom:

BMW.jpg

I will use various sources for the stowage and street furniture, including this set from Meng:

Meng2.jpg

I have most of the items, waiting on the Factory, then I will make a start.

I'm looking forward to this build as I haven't done a diorama for a long time and not in 1/35 scale as well.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 4

wow, thanks for the acknowledgement Richard, means a lot.

really pleased that someone else is having a go at these figures and looking forward to the results (I'm sure they will be better than mine)

watching very closely :coolio:

PS: be prepared to lower the tops of the door frames on the factory, the doors seem to be far too tall. you can see on mine how i grafted in a section of brickwork !!!

Edited by theanorak73

Great idea; for some perverse reason I love Zombie movies (and shows). What I don't understand is why don't these non-zombie birks ever wear any real arm protection, as it seems that's where they're bitten 90% of the time? Yes, I realise it's all make-believe, but let's show a little common sense people. When zombies are around, always wear your arm protection! Me, I'd be dressed like a mediaeval knight.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

wow, thanks for the acknowledgement Richard, means a lot.

really pleased that someone else is having a go at these figures and looking forward to the results (I'm sure they will be better than mine)

watching very closely :coolio:

PS: be prepared to lower the tops of the door frames on the factory, the doors seem to be far too tall. you can see on mine how i grafted in a section of brickwork !!!

Will do. I was thinking of only using the section of wall with the stairs and scratch building shop fronts instead of the other wall.

Great idea; for some perverse reason I love Zombie movies (and shows). What I don't understand is why don't these non-zombie birks ever wear any real arm protection, as it seems that's where they're bitten 90% of the time? Yes, I realise it's all make-believe, but let's show a little common sense people. When zombies are around, always wear your arm protection! Me, I'd be dressed like a mediaeval knight.

Regards,

Jason

I see the need for protection and a suit of armour would give you that, but impractical for anything else.

A Kevlar suit though would be better.

I see the need for protection and a suit of armour would give you that, but impractical for anything else.

A Kevlar suit though would be better.

I wasn't serious about the knight's suit, but I was wondering why nobody (or hardly anybody) wears at least arm protection in those movies. But then again, I suppose the stupidity of soon-to-be victims is a staple of Horror movies.

Regards,

Jason

I wasn't serious about the knight's suit, but I was wondering why nobody (or hardly anybody) wears at least arm protection in those movies. But then again, I suppose the stupidity of soon-to-be victims is a staple of Horror movies.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

Same here.

The scream movie got it right with its tongue in check approach to the horror genre.

"Never say "who's there?" Don't you watch scary movies? It's a death wish. You might as well come out to investigate a strange noise or something."

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

I've got the MB set in the stash too. Initially I bought the old DML bike, but its spokes are so thick the wheels are almost solid. You made the right choice getting the Tamiya Japanese set.

I really like the look of those vending machines as part of a zombie diorama.

Edited by CharlieNZ
  • Like 1

Ok,

So I have made a start this weekend on this project, still waiting for the factory corner, but couldn't wait.

Got a base board from local model shop happened to be the right size, bonus.

I had some MiniArt buildings I was going to use for another project. This was as far I got with the buildings..

7615a.jpg

After a bit of cutting I ended up with...

7615c.jpg

Shorten the over all length to fit on the board. Did not need the ruined section so removed it.

7615d.jpg

I think the buildings might be a little to high and over powering for the over all diorama, once I have the factory corner I will see if I can reduce the over all height of the buildings.

Didn't need the german names and sanding would take to long, so I covered the signs and started on modernising the shop fronts.

7615e.jpg

Laid out a few of the items to see how it will look and get an idea of the overall feel...

7615g.jpg

Started on the woman on the bike, but could not get her to sit realistically on the bike. So decided to sculpt a new arm, my first bit of modification on a figure.

7615h.jpg

7615j.jpg

Started on the Pickup...

7615m.jpg

And the BMW...

7615p.jpg

Here is a shot from above..

7615n.jpg

Need more Zombies.

That's it for now. This is going to be a long project but an interesting one.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

I've got the MB set in the stash too. Initially I bought the old DML bike, but its spokes are so thick the wheels are almost solid. You made the right choice getting the Tamiya Japanese set.

I really like the look of those vending machines as part of a zombie diorama.

Charlie,

I did like the look of the older bikes, but I didn't think the figure would look as if it would fit on the bike.

So I went with the more modern trial bike, which would be the sort bike easily found in a post apocalyptic world.

As soon as I saw the vending machines I had to have them, didn't know what I was going to do with them. But they are perfect for this project.

Cheers

Richard

looking very nice Richard.

yes the fit of the woman on the bike is a bit off, i solved it by having the steering turned and if you look very closely her right foot is nowhere near the foot rest on the bike.

actually getting exited about this one so looking forward to your up-dates

Sorry should have been more accurate, the bike I was looking at was Dragon US Light Infantry. it's a set of two Gulf war era soldeirs and a trail bike of some kind.

But the MB figure fits much better on the Tamiya Japanese bike, and it's a much finer detailed kit.

Sorry should have been more accurate, the bike I was looking at was Dragon US Light Infantry. it's a set of two Gulf war era soldeirs and a trail bike of some kind.

But the MB figure fits much better on the Tamiya Japanese bike, and it's a much finer detailed kit.

Charlie,

Yep I agree the Tamiya bike is very nice, great detail.

Cheers

Richard

Update:

Just been contacted by local model shop to say the Miniart Factory Corner with Steps has arrived, hot footed down and collected the kit.

Dio.jpg

Had a quick look at home before returning to work, as I thought the kit comes up to the same hight as the wall of the two kits I have made so far:

7615g.jpg

As I feared the buildings will over power the entire diorama. I could cut off the stairs to the hight of the smaller of the two buildings in the above picture, but would lose the majority of the stairs. I will have to have a think about what to do about this.

I also purchased this kit from Trumpeter, thinking I might mount it on top of the pickup...

Remote%20Gun.jpg

Either that or a roof rack.....

More on this over the weekend...

Cheers

Richard

Great idea. Yes I could work with that, adding a different level to the diorama. Will look at the Not Yet Dead figures to see what would fit.

Cheers

Richard

Right, I said I would give some updates over the weekend, well my wife had some school reports to do this evening so I thought I'd sneak upstairs and have a look at my new purchase in more detail.

It didn't stop there....

After getting the pieces out of the box, the next thing I knew I had a knife in my hand and I was cutting it up...

The first thing I did was to cut off the broken sections of the wall.

fr1.jpg

.. to square of the ends..

fr2.jpg

fr3.jpg

Both ends tided up.

I then moved onto the over part of the wall and removed the corner...

r4.jpg

This I then added to the other building this will help hide the join between the two different MiniArt models.

fr5.jpg

I like the look of this.

Here is how the buildings will look...

frdio1.jpg

frdio2.jpg

frdio3.jpg

Here is a shot of the woman on the Tamiya bike with her new arm..

bikefigure.jpg

Going with theanorak73's excellent suggestion I will add another level to the diorama, a roof top area with some Zombies and survivors on it, I think I will use these figures from "Not Yet Dead":

Alice1.jpg

Alice

Linda1.jpg

Linda with child

Teens.jpg

Being attacked by this troubled Teens

Well that's it for the moment.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Update: 11 June

Had a spare five minutes at work and thoughts turned to this diorama and what else could I have in a Post Apocalyptic world where society has broken down.

I remembered getting a set of refuse bags from Accurate Armour many moons ago for 1/24 Scale workshop model.

Had a quick look and they still do them..

Rubbish.jpg

Also liked the look of this set of barriers...

Barriers.jpg

Both items are 1/35 scale - might have another rummage around the AA website and see what else I could use.

I will get these items next month, don't want too much to do otherwise the build gets a little to daunting.

Cheers

Richard

looking good and good ideas. seems like the cost is rising as well !!!! :-)

Oh Yes, that is why I am spreading the cost over the next couple of months.

It is going to be a long project. I have other models I will make in-between so I don't get bogged down with this one and lose interest half way through, that has happen before.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1