1/48 Lancaster with lots of extras

Hi All

Here's my latest project, and my first WIP in a long time

20150604_135117.jpg

Updates will probably come in batches few and far between but I'll try and keep the thread updated.

Plan is to build it with number 4 engine exposed and think i might open the rear door too. I don't usually use much etch and even less scratch building, so looking forward too the challenge.

I have big plans for this build, the actual aircraft will be phase 1, phase 2 will be a base with vehicles figures etc.

Plan to do the aircraft as Picadilly Princess of 424 Squadron which was based at RAF Skipton on Swale in 1945.

• Like 6

I have built this very kit. The one thing I would add is the Belcher Bits resin engines. The engines nacelles are totally the wrong shape and don't have the rear radiator scoops on them.

Here is a recent PIC of mine.

DSCN1551.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Alan

Which boxing did you use, mine is a recent boxing and it was my understanding that the engine parts had been retooled to correct the shape issues ?

ScottC

Right here's update number 1

20150605_150517.jpg

The Merlin to go in the number 4 position has arrived. It's a Merlin 23 and the Lanc uses Merlin 25's but after a quick look over i can't see any difference as of yet.

20150605_150234.jpg

I've cut out the crew entry door and been the ham fisted loon i am i slipped with the scalpel a couple of times so had to blend out some deep scratches, hence the black paint around the door to check it's all blended out.

20150605_175641.jpg

I've removed the HUGE pegs in the bomb bay that the bombs are mounted on so the etched bomb racks can be fitted later as the bomb bay will be empty. As you can see I've added the big bit of etch in the center of the bay, the rest (of which there is plenty) will be fitted once the fuselage halves are joined.

I've also added the etch too the pilot's seat, control column and yoke, and I've started to all the etch to the instrument panel. Pictures will follow later once I've downloaded my camera as the tablet is useless at taking close up pics.

ScottC

• Like 2

Here are two builds with the Belcher bits. It does not look like they will be drop in replacements, but well worth it from what I have seen.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61589-tamiya-148th-lanc/page-2 Galgos Build

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=205003&view=findpost&p=1975279 Chuck540z3's build.

Edited by Av8fan

Update number 2

Firstly apologies for the poor pics as I'm having to use my mobile and tablet instead of my camera due to technical issues

Right I've removed the areas that require removing from the inside of both fuselage halfs and started adding the etch on the starboard side

20150608_124408.jpg

I've finished detailing the pilot's seat and control column and the instrument panel is coming along nicely. I've modified the arm rest on the right of the seat so it's in its upright position. Really happy with seat, the added detail really brings it to life.

image.jpg

That's all for now

ScottC

• Like 4

This is really neat stuff. After looking at a couple of different Lancaster posts the last few days I now know that I have sooooo much to learn about this Warbird. GREAT JOB on this one so far. Bob

Update 4

As I've opened up the crew entry door I've needed to scratch build the frames and stringers in that area as i couldn't just leave it blank plastic.

20150612_130032.jpg

It's my first ever attempt at adding this kind of detail, done it by eye and it doesn't look too bad too me. I've just painted it and will see how it looks through the open door once dry.

I've also ordered the belcher bits engines after a visit to see NX611 on Thursday after looking at her engines.

ScottC

• Like 2

Update 5

got a bit more done on the Lanc over the weekend so here's a bit of an update.

First off I've painted the frames and stringers I created to be seen through the crew door and added a walkway along the bottom of the fuselage, its not the greatest bit of scratch building ever but you cant see very much through the open door anyway, but I couldn't just leave the area blank as it wouldn't look right.

64ba4d2f-fa47-45c5-ada4-d785fb6b836a.jpg

00e5362a-a882-430d-9aa3-f9f8a57aa25e.jpg

I've now started adding bits to the floor/bomb bay roof. the seat and control column are in place, all the document holders on the side of the raised pilots platform are etched brass.

IMG_7340.jpg

But the major part of this weekends work was the radio operator/navigators station. The only original part of the kit in this area is the desk (which even then gets a new etched brass top). Its a massive improvement over what comes in the kit which doesn't even really look anything like the area in the real thing.

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

Well that's it for now.

ScottC

• Like 3