1/72 Revell Westland Seaking Mk.42A - Indian Navy c.1987.

Just a little late for the Seaking group build, but here is my model of an Indian Navy Mk.42A -

The Indian Navy has been a prolific user of arguably the most versatile naval helicopter ever - the Seaking. The Navy started operating Seakings just before war broke out in late 1971. Over the years, it acquired several different types to fulfill a range of roles from ASW to Special Ops.
The model I built is of the rather unique Mk.42A variant that IN acquired in the late 1970s to complement the ASW capabilities of the last two 'Leander'-class frigates then being built locally. These were analogs of Royal Navy's HAS.Mk.2s with six-bladed tail rotors unlike all the other variants we have had. The Seaking Alphas were specially equipped with RAST (Recovery Assist, Secure and Traverse) systems for easier shipboard handling.
The base kit for the build is Revell AG's superb Seaking Mk.41 in 1/72. This is by most accounts the best rendition of a British Seaking you can buy in this scale, though it look a bit of work to be made relevant as a 42A. The changes needed were - Back-dating the composite rotor blades to be the older metal type, sanding off chaff/flare dispensers in the rear without hurting the rivetted surface, sanding down fairings on the nose panel, re-arranging antennae placement and then scratch building some and plugging some windows to match pictures. The instructions are almost pointless beyond the first few steps. In addition to the changes required, I made some fairly drastic (for me!) modifications to stow away the rotor blades. The model has some additional surface details added in terms of cables and external wiring.
The model is finished in the dark sea blue and gloss white finish of the original Seakings. The biggest challenge was getting the (white) decals right, most of which are home-made.
All in all, a fun but challenging build. Hope to see more Indian Seakings follow this one.

18372675101_5e85fabc6d_b.jpg

17750447703_5bf0ebd6cf_b.jpg

18371103275_c8b9140bee_b.jpg

17750445533_a5f855a5c4_b.jpg

18183292178_fe1ec7ca9e_b.jpg

17748471074_9d632c4b97_b.jpg

• Like 24

Very nice indeed and I like your other Indian Navy helicopters too. Your home made decals are great and if there were some available on the market then we might see more Indian aircraft built as there are some great schemes such as your Sea King and the overall grey Sea Harrier with low viz roundels.

Cheers

Tony

You have done a wonderful job in back dating the original kit into a Mk.42,knowing the many lumps that you had to get rid off and adding some new ones too!I am going to start mine (Indian Navy Mk42B) soon and due to the fact that there isn't any conversion kit for it,I guess I have to take the difficult 'path' in creating it.Since I am an extremely slow builder, maybe I can complete it next year! By the way,love the 42.Marvellous job!

Thanks guys. Yes, the decals are indeed home-made. I got lucky with the Ka-28 with Begemot making a nice sheet for them. As for the Seaking, I am glad some of the changes made are apparent. I must admit however that I started this kit with a Mk.42B in mind. The work involved to scratch build a non-standard window (like Australian Mk.50) put me off (for now). I had even sourced couple of Sea Eagles for it. :(

Thanks again for the kind words.

• Like 1

Hi Ratmigs,

I absolutely love anything to do with Indian military aviation and your Seaking is just brilliant! As are the other choppers! Thanks for a bit of inspiration this morning,

Cheers

Viv

• Like 2

Very nice indeed and I like your other Indian Navy helicopters too. Your home made decals are great and if there were some available on the market then we might see more Indian aircraft built as there are some great schemes such as your Sea King and the overall grey Sea Harrier with low viz roundels.

Cheers

Tony

Shame I didn't know you were building this as I have the Indian navy markings for the Sea king I would have let you have them but then again you have done an excellent job on your own.

5 Stars all round

I may do one now to go with my pakistani one.

Rodders

Rodders

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Ratmigs.

OMG... :wub:

Your INDIAN Westland Seaking is STUNNING and BEAUTIFULLY done..:worthy::worthy::wow:

Quite RESPLENDENT in those markings and one close to MY heart...MY Later father served in the INDIAN army with the British forces so anything INDIAN is close to MY heart.

its AWESOME to see your two models of highest quality and VERY Impressive  by your work..

Thank you for sharing this.

you made MY day.

KUDOS on a brilliant build.  :mike: