Airfix 1/72 Gnat T.1

Hi,

So I thought I'd just post up a couple of quick snaps of the first Gnat now I've finished the Decals over the weekend. I can't decide on if I should weather her or not as they're so tiny in this scale.

The canopy isn't actually fixed in place at the moment as I still need to pop a couple coats of Klear on to seal the decals, which is why theres a bit of a gap. It's a pity the orange bleeds through the roundels a bit and theres one or two other things I'm not happy with but on the whole it came out ok. Still at least I should be able to fix the things bugging me on the 2nd one's build!

Any advise on weathering would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I just noticed I haven't fitted the aerials on the spine LoL - oh well I will get that done tonight I suppose!

Edit Edited: Antenna fitted, photos switched to new ones :DLoL

18327032186_c0c06eee68_z.jpg

18354966531_650134a9b6_z.jpg

18354965061_e5ab047e0c_z.jpg

18353462695_263a5514d1_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 26

What a lovely little thing. Like it a lot.

Its funny how you can miss the tiny little things isn't it?

Sure is, and they really are tiny. I looked at the images after I had hit post and thought.. that doesn't look right, that definitely doesn't look right! I'll get them fitted when I get home and get the photos switched over to new ones.

Looks really nice finished - great job!

Yep the bleed through on the roundels is a problem on many high contrast schemes. You can buy white round circle decals that are designed to go under the roundel and will help mask some of the see through effect.

http://www.modartdec.com/general-decals.html

Pat

Yet again I find myself saying thanks Pat! I will be ordering some of those up ready for the 2nd Gnat and the Vampire build I have planned!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they really are appreciated!

Nice Gnat - what paints did you use? Looks very good match.

Love the Gnat in this scheme.

ATB

Rick

• Like 1

Nice Gnat - what paints did you use? Looks very good match.

Love the Gnat in this scheme.

ATB

Rick

Thanks for the kind words Rick, the Dayglo was originally going to be the Humbrol 209 but the tub of the acrylic 209 I picked up was like a solid mass when I opened and was beyond saving so that got binned off and I actually ended up making a mix of Revell 25 and 332, not sure on the actual proportions I used it was just a case of adjusting until it looked like the photos I had on my laptop.

That's a very nice Gnat. You've made an excellent job. Joe

• Like 1

Many thanks all, you're all so kind with your comments!

I am looking forward to getting the 2nd Gnat started but a 1/72 Hurricane seems to have found its way on to my bench whilst I wasn't looking :pilot:

Edited by Synopsis

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dave, funnily enough I have the Vampire kit too, I got really ambitious and ordered the full photo etch set for it and now I just look at it with fear and trepidation!