Halifax III - Revell/Airfix amalgam

This Halifax, LW160 coded DY-A, served with 102 Squadron at Pocklington in Yorkshire from May to December 1944. In that time it became a regular mount of Flight Lieutenant Joseph “Jock” Ross. Jock flew DY-A on at least 19 ops, and the aircraft was named The Flying Scot. Jock flew a full tour of operations and he and his crew were screened after their final operation to Duisburg on 17 December 1944.

Jock went on to other squadrons and after a few flying jobs after the war went on to join Qantas, of which he became Chief Pilot before retiring from a flying career totalling:

• 35 years
  • 5,487 Take offs and landings
  • 17,887hrs 45mins flying time on 20 aircraft types

TYPE HOURS TAKE OFFS & LANDINGS

DH82A (Tiger Moth) 52.35 135

Avro Tutor 21.05 20

Airspeed Oxford 866.30 1407

Miles Magister 1.00 2

Vickers Wellington Mk3 56.55 42

Vickers Wellington Mk10 24.40 23

Handley Page Halifax Mk2 37.30 24

Handley Page Halifax Mk3 204.00 63

Avro Lancaster 3.50 2

Avro Anson 10.05 25

Short Stirling 20.55 21

Avro York 873.50 261

Douglas DC3 50.35 12

Douglas DC4 1046.05 176

Douglas DC6 1998.35 429

Lockheed Constellation 749 2963.55 368

Lockheed Constellation 1049 3875.45 694

Lockheed Electra L188c 1515.35 567

Boeing 707 138B 1083.45 568

Boeing 707 338C 2460.30 668

Jock’s daughter Alison was a firm friend of my mother’s. Both are now deceased, but Jock is still alive and well and living in Sydney at the age of 95. This is my tribute to Jock and his brethren in Bomber Command.

The model itself combines the fuselage of the Revell Halifax II with the wings of the Airfix Halifax III. The wings were re-scribed and Highplanes power eggs designed for the old Airfix Beaufighter were adapted for this build. I also added some Alley-Cat extended wing tips on the assumption that although a relatively early Halifax III, LW160 might have at some time been retro-fitted.

The hardest part of the build was to create the unique nose art, which unusually appeared on the starboard side rather than the more usual port side. Eventually I resorted to simply painting a large version of my interpretation of the attached photos, using colours that I thought would be available at Pocklington in 1944. The original artwork is by Jock’s rear gunner, Bob Dawson.

You'll note that the bomb log is not slanted to the rear of the aircraft. Not clever enough for that, but is someone who knows can recommend a good piece of software for producing decals I'd appreciate your recommendation.

I hope you like what you see. Cheers, Matt

Josk%20Ross%20and%20crew_zpsmi3lgapz.jpg

Jock Ross in the Irvin jacket

The%20Flying%20Scot%20LW160%20DY-A_zpss1

IMG_0876_zpshfhleukx.jpg

IMG_0875_zpsacwhw2yv.jpg

IMG_1364_zps2jtriqb7.jpg

003_zpsa2mk3xfr.jpg

004_zpsjpsr80ju.jpg

006_zps9ipvqnts.jpg

007_zps1htjqwy6.jpg

• Like 36

Very nice indeed,.......a lovely Halibag. It is one of my all time favourite aircraft and you have definitely done her proud,....love the nose art and has Jock seen the finished model yet?

Myself and Woody had a go at kitbashing the Halifax back in 2012 when the Revell kit first came out, here is the thread if you are interested; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910638-matchbox-airfix-and-revell-halifax-lovechildren/?hl=%2Bhalifax+%2Brevell+%2Bairfix#entry936927

I`ve built quite a few Halibags and here is my own attempt at a 102 Sqn Halifax, although mine was a later version; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913116-hp-halifax-mkvi-102-sqn-4-group/?hl=%2Bhalifax+%2Brevell+%2Bairfix

We can never have enough Halifax models and yours is a real stunner,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

That's fantastic. Great history and a fitting tribute to the chap and others that flew them.

Brilliant work getting the kits to mate. My hat is of (actual fact as I have a hat on today and took it off just for you)

Rob

• Like 1

Great model and great back story. Jock certainly has a logbook any pilot would envy. Classic aircraft in there. The ratio of hours to take offs and landings shows how many were long haul.

Very nice build using some crosskiting. Some 10 years ago I made two Halifaxes also a bit mixing old Airfix, Matchbox plus some scratch work, posted here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968454-halifax-two-conversions-of-airfix-kit-172/

But yours is nicer!

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

Sadly with Revell follies that's what we're forced to do in this day and age. My project on the waiting list is Revell Lanc fuselage and Airfix wings'n engines.

Nice job!

Josip

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for the nice words. Jock and his family seem pleased with the result.

Cheers, Matt

Must be one of the earliest Airfix kits surely. I recall my old man making one of these in the late 1960s or early 1970s (I remember it as a young kid as it hung above my head from my bedroom ceiling for many years).

Great finish. And nice aerial work may I add.

My project on the waiting list is Revell Lanc fuselage and Airfix wings'n engines.

Josip - this is what I did once...:) speaking frankly -rather I almost did it. I will be ready to post it soon.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

A superb build here Matt, plus a wonderfully warming story to go with it, it doesn't get much better. :) I'm impressed with the HPM engines, they really do look the job, maybe they shoud look to sell them as a set of four for this sort of build & Airfix Stirlings etc. I need to go back & look at my Beaufighter set with a more critical eye.

Steve.

A superb build here Matt, plus a wonderfully warming story to go with it, it doesn't get much better. :) I'm impressed with the HPM engines, they really do look the job, maybe they shoud look to sell them as a set of four for this sort of build & Airfix Stirlings etc. I need to go back & look at my Beaufighter set with a more critical eye.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I was really upset that Jock's daughter didn't get to see it. It was only a matter of a week or so :weep:. The engines were a punt really - they'd really do the Beaufighter justice. They're a good solid thing and you need to knock off the little blisters as seen on Beaufighters. You then saw off the large locating lugs on the old Halifax wing and glue them on with Aryldite to give you time to position them properly. Airfix props and the HPM exhausts and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers, Matt

• Like 1

• 3 months later...