Humbrol Clear, crazy paving effect in a bottle

Duncan B

Hi Duncan, some lovely guitars then? :thumbsup: When I played guitar I was very much a Gretsch 6120 and White Falcon kind of a guy though the 335 is rather tasty too but I just gotta have a Bigsby trem for that rockabilly wobble :mental: . I can't say I ever had any problems with foam on guitar stands but I would imagine some cloth (Velvet etc.) would avoid this problem. Way back when I modded all my guitar stands with some nice green velvet :winkgrin: Gotta keep your babies safe :winkgrin:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive just had this happen to me on a Lotus 49 that Ive spent months making!

Im going to rub down and try some Klear and see what happens?

Regarding Nitro guitars? I have this problem bought to my workshop more times than I can remember.

To be fair to Gibson they do put a warning in the case with the guitar.

A customer of mine sprayed his guitar with nitro and left it an a stool overnight and when he went to pick it up the stool came with it being vinyl!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Are there any further updates on this topic?  Any clarity, now, on exactly what causes Humbrol clear to craze?    I used it on the body of a Lotus 49 I'd spent years on (true!) and, fortunately, for the most part it gave a lovely smooth, glossy finish, although in a few places - easy to rework - I got some minor crazing. I'd used Tamiya acrylics, which had dried for many weeks (months I think), followed by thin coats of Vallejo Air gloss varnish (all airbrushed) which just didn't gloss. Then, when, I airbrushed Humbrol on the nose, the result was horrible.  The colour coats had cured for weeks not months.   Very frustrating.

It seems to me that these results can't be random.  Surely there must be a clear (forgive the pun) reason for these results.  Either the nature of base coats, or the ambient temperature (I tried slowing the drying by putting the part in a cooler box in which I'd had an 'ice brick,' to no avail), or the stage of curing of the base coats.  Surely the manufacturer has tested this product under 'varying conditions' and has some idea of what conditions are least likely to cause the crazing?  It would certainly help modellers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally given up on humbrol clear and  it is relegated for canopy and clear part dipping only. I switched over to the vallejo gloss varnish and it gives such a beautiful high shine, smooth non crazed finish. Humbrol have done a really terrible job with thier varnishes in general. The Acrylic Matt and Satin version of clear leave a frosty residue, clear goes craze mental, the enamel based gloss cote, matt cote ans satin cote seem to never dry. Only jesus knows what their formulation guys have been doing. it's a shame because my LHS has the full humbrol range so it was convenient :(