1/72nd Modelsvit Tu-22KD Blinder

Radleigh

Actually I agree with a lot of that....as a few of you know I currently write articles for Airfix Model World and believe me their standards are pretty strict, in the context of submission guidelines, text, structure, grammar, phrasing and referencing must be correct and as such you have to pretty much construct the whole article and deliver it yourself using their guidelines which is quite time intensive but the high payment reflects this...Then there's the photography, I have studio strobe lighting and mostly pro Nikon equipment including macros but still have to take many images before a few are selected, AMW also run courses to help folks improve their technique). I've had a lot of work published in several magazines over the years, (not gone for SAMI or FSM funnily enough) and find different requirements for each one. Airfix are different to the others I've worked for in that they send you the model along with ANY tools, paints, etch sets, decals, even books you may need and off you go, (I also get to choose which models I make which is very welcome.....a Big Set PlusModels EC-121 Warning Star was stuffed through the letter box the other day !). As far as AMW are concerned a working CV is also a very good idea as they will request a selection of your work before making a decision. I must confess to be more than happy working for them at the moment....

I bought the A-Model kit, opened the box, bottled it and sold it on! :lol:

Paul, it's not so bad....

P1070882-001_zps0pkvpoyk.jpg

Anyway...can't wait for the Blinder, as long as it's accurate (which I'm sure it will be) then I'll be getting a couple !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Beautiful Fiddler, General! Between you and Ken (Flankerman), we have a couple of masters here with these big Soviet birds. I, sadly am no such master. I have an Amodel An-22 Antei in my storeroom who's faint and plaintive cries of 'Finish me!' I can sometimes hear on particularly still South Texas nights, but that's one that will have to wait a little while more before I get back to it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Ah the mighty Antei !... a great if somewhat unwieldy model Jason, you should have strong words with yourself and get it finished....I always meant to get hold of one but never seemed to get around to it, (quite taken with the camo version). Ken's is a real beauty. Also have an A-50 that someone gave me stashed away.....that's a monster too.

A decent Blinder has been on my wish list for more years than I care to remember so this news is extremely welcome, (I have more reference material on it in the Georgina Melchett Memorial Library than any other aircraft so it would be nice to put it to good use).

Now if they could see their way to providing us with a quality 1/72nd Mallow and Albatross then I'll be a very happy little general !

• Like 1

General, I use to have that Red Hurricane Bosun-thingy also. To be honest, I'm just crazy enough to have a go at it, if I still had it. Even crazier, I might back-date it to the '73', with the remote-controlled turrets and the engine in the tail. Actually a rather sleek and attractive aeroplane, the '73'. The Bosun was rather nice also, frankly better looking than the Beagle, although I do like the Beagle also. Oh, confound it all, I like EVERY Soviet aeroplane! That's why I buy the kits and write books about the s***ing things!

Regards,

Jason

I built the Red Hurricane Tu-14 about a million years ago - its on the Linden Hill website

tu-14_11.jpg

I think I still have another one in my stash somewhere............

They also did a Tu-16 - which I bought but never completed 'cos Trumpeter released theirs.

Ken

• Like 1

Nice Ken, I'm pretty sure it's a million year old kit so that would tie in . A fairly good looking aircraft along the lines of the Convair XB-46 though not as graceful. If I recall absolutely nothing fitted but it did look like a Bosun when eventually done. I never got one of their Tu-16's for the reason you mention.....quite glad about that !

<snip>

It's a golden age for Soviet models, if not for my wallet.

<snip>

Speaking of that, where's my new tool 1:72 Yak-9? Gotta love all this big jet bomber stuff, but all I want is an itty-bitty little single engine prop fighter... :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

You're correct, Bill, we mustn't forget the smaller 'stuff'. We're only just now getting some new 1/72nd scale Lavochkin La-5's and La-7's from the new KP. A new bubble-canopy Yak-1B is also needed. Let's not forget the crying need (at least I cry about it) for a new-mould Il-4. This aircraft was almost the exact equivalent of the He-111, and used in similar numbers, yet no modern kit exists of it. I'd love to see Airfix do a re-mould of their old Pe-2 kit also; something between the simplicity of the Zevzda kit (still a nice kit, but not quite up to modern standards), and the too-complicated UM kit(s). It may be a Golden Age of Soviet Modelling, but it could always get Goldener! And how about a LaGG-3 or La-5(F)(FN) in 1/32nd scale? If the Soviets won the actual war, one look at 1/32nd scale will tell you who won the plastic kit war.

General, I wish I did have all the Soviet kits, real or imagined. If only the kit manufacturers would listen to me! Oh, right, they want to make money...

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

Here'e some pics wot I took at Engels to whet your appetite and keep you going until it is released....

Tu-22RDM.....

day04_020.jpg

Tu-22KD.....

day04_022.jpg

Tu-22U....

day04_024.jpg

Tu-22PD....

day04_027.jpg

They even had one as a Gate Guard......

day04_053.jpg

More here

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

Hello,

this sounds really like Christmas in November!

But something makes me curious for quite a while: On all Modelsvit kits I have, I've never seen an adress label or the like. So who is Mr. or Mrs. Modelsvit? I really like to send them a note saying thank you for their choosing of aircraft topics.

Regards,

Martin

I've always thought that the Blinder was a beautiful aeroplane. It looks like a gigantic fighter, not a bomber (I do believe at one time Tupolev even floated the idea of having a long-range interceptor version of the Tu-22).

Regards,

Jason

Ken, great photos... Question though, is the Engels museum open to the public, or do you have to pre-book? Looks to be on the base.... Which I'd imagine isn't easy to access....

We went on a base visit - then onto the museum, which is inside the base.

It isn't open to the public - just pre-arranged tour groups - presumably authorised and cleared via Moscow.

It's probably less easy now - given the current tensions.

Ken

• Like 1

Does anyone know if his will be available at Telford? I have a feeling it might not make it in time... unless Modelsvit themselves are attending?

If it's going to be at Hobbyterra for the 12th, I doubt it'll be in the UK.... and if Modelsvit attended SMW I'd get a bank loan :lol:

• Like 1