Canopy Polish?

Graham T

I was quite surprised to find that Bare Metal canopy polish is no longer available from Hannants, nor anything similar. I know toothpaste is a useful alternative but I've never been entirely satisfied with it. Any suggestions?

I bought the Tamiya polishing compounds off of eBay and they work a treat. They come in three grades and there are also three different cloths for applying them. I think I had to get them from Hong Kong but they arrived no problem.

I bought the Tamiya polishing compounds off of eBay and they work a treat. They come in three grades and there are also three different cloths for applying them. I think I had to get them from Hong Kong but they arrived no problem.

I agree with DAG058

I've also being using the Tamiya compounds for the last few months and I'm most impressed with them. They go beyond anything micromesh can do and is best used as a follow on after micromeshing. Go through the 3 grades with the Tamiya cloths then finish with a dry section of the cloth and the result will be the best you have ever seen.

I use dura-glit impregnated wadding. This quite quickly takes a finely-sanded or needle-filed (proper ones, not the coarse rubbish sold by hobby shops) finish to as clear as most canopies were in practice. Toothpaste on a cotton rag (don't use tissues, the wood fibres scratch) to buff up the final shine if it's say a modern jet in pristine condition. Works for moulded polystyrene canopies, I tend to avoid vac-forms unless they are pristine enough to use as they are.

The legendary Paul Budzik suggests diamond polish paste such as this. It goes down to ridiculous grits (0.25 microns) and is relatively cheap, try finishing with a soft cloth buffing wheel in a Dremel or similar.

Haven't looked an my bottles of Future since trying this method and using Roket odourless as canopy glue.

Anil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use hob brite (available from most supermarkets) it's designed for cleaning class cooker tops and is very slightly abrasive. I use it to polish out scratches in clear parts caused by sanding to close to the clear parts or after sanding said clear parts to blend them into the fuselage. Apply using a cotton bud and polish in a circular motion. Once happy with the clear part I then polish with automotive t cut. This is a very fine abrasive and will bring the canopy/ clear part up lovely. Follow this by a dip in clear/ quick shine and you have a perfect finish.. These products also work on vac formed canopies and also do s great job in polishing the plastic parts damaged by filling such as wing joints etc

Edited by speedbird