Spitfire Mk I - 1/72 Airfix (as promised)

Hi all,

I'm back from uni now and I have had the opportunity to take a few pictures of the last model I built at uni. Airfix's 1/72 Mk I; the Mk I obviously being by far the prettiest Spitfire ever built. Built OOB with the addition of Tamiya tape seatbelts a fishing line aerial and tin foil rear view mirror. WIP

Built wheels up, pilot in, as the great RJ Mitchell had planned, the Spitfire looks so much better in flight than she does with the undercarriage out. No more explanation needed.

39214181741_9f7a5a2bda_b.jpgIMGP1028_zpsfqquv3t5 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

24352188207_c37941bc36_b.jpgIMGP1029_zpsgdhrh9ui by Ben Standen, on Flickr

39214180051_15ac63effa_b.jpgIMGP1030_zpshxgjdfsq by Ben Standen, on Flickr

24352187197_18949d6fb7_b.jpgIMGP1031_zpssqhts9cd by Ben Standen, on Flickr

39214177801_37b539eb4b_b.jpgIMGP1032_zpshor6fuhx by Ben Standen, on Flickr

24352185837_4227a478db_b.jpgIMGP1033_zps9jal1snp by Ben Standen, on Flickr

39214175891_b6fc4e9925_z.jpgIMGP1035_zps4fvledzp by Ben Standen, on Flickr

24352184127_8a3b0a6b09_b.jpgIMGP1037_zpsexujgwq7 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 19

Nice one Ben, as you say, it does look good in flight. Another fine addition to your Spitfire ranks,

Sean

Thanks all :D

Super job, I always find it hard to pick a fav Spit, the're all gorgeous.

Hands down the XIV low back, a real snarly brute.

Lovely job Ben, and a good addition to your collection. Must have been awful hard to get used to the Merlin prop given your penchant for Griffons!

Justin

Haha! I must admit the Mk I is MUCH prettier and sweeter/softer sounding than the ferocious Griffon beasts. Seems fitting to have a Mk I built up for this summer, 75 years on from the greatest threat to Britain...

Ben

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Very nice build. I like the weathering which looks about right for a model at this scale.

I knew that the panel lines are a little exaggerated so I kept the weathering fairly gentle just a panel wash and some black pastel exhaust/gun stains. I know this particular Spitfire was a particularly dirty example.

spitfire_dwk_1.jpg

Lovely build Ben. Takes me back to when I was building from my halls of residence, the spitfire had only just retired from service back then though lol!!!!

I'm saying nothing :clif:;)

Ben

Edited by wellsprop

Great build Ben - love the attention to detail, little bits of weathering - good job!

Welcome back and I assume you're looking forward to a long summer's modelling??!! :D

Good work, I like the in-flight shots.

I've still got my L plates on when it comes to model building so a newbie question if I may- how do you attach the fishing line aerial to the rudder and the pylon? Is it stuck with glue or is there a much cleverer technique I need to know?

I'm working on a Spitfire 1a at the moment, so forgive me if I learn from (steal) all the nice touches you've added.

Cheers

A

Great build Ben - love the attention to detail, little bits of weathering - good job!

Welcome back and I assume you're looking forward to a long summer's modelling??!! :D

Back 'til September now :D Should be doing a fair bit of flying cycling and modelling, all is good!

Good work, I like the in-flight shots.

I've still got my L plates on when it comes to model building so a newbie question if I may- how do you attach the fishing line aerial to the rudder and the pylon? Is it stuck with glue or is there a much cleverer technique I need to know?

I'm working on a Spitfire 1a at the moment, so forgive me if I learn from (steal) all the nice touches you've added.

Cheers

A

I learnt from an article in the Airfix club magazine (I think). Cut the aerial a few mm longer than it needs to be before gluing (I use super glue) it and one end, allow to dry, then the other end. Once both sides are dry, heat a soldering iron before putting the soldering iron beneath the wire (but being very careful to make sure no heat is going onto the model itself), this will make the wire shrink giving it some tension and straightening it up.

Ben