Tripe - in more ways than one? (WNW Sopwith Triplane)

Here's a health and safety warning ....

"This thread contains images some viewers may find disturbing"

Ignore this warning at your peril if you want to reach the end of this thread without feeling the need to vent your anger in any way, shape or form, particularly if you are an ardent Wingnut Wings fan or a rivet counter.

This is an RFI of the WNW kit that is much sought after yet is no longer in production, but ...

* It is by a distinctly average model builder of WW1 aircraft - in fact any type of model

* It does not incorporate the use of turnbuckles - sacrilege to many for a kit of this scale - but it has been rigged - inside and out

* It is brush painted (in a mixture of enamels and acrylics) and never been anywhere near an airbrush

* It bears some resemblance to the aircraft it depicts - the person I built it for, SWMBO, is not concerned with historical accuracy

* It has not been weathered to near death and destruction in the interests of "realism"

* It was built for the pleasure of building a kit (I know, a bit odd these days) and not the masochism that accompanies the need to be 100% accurate to the last stitch and the desperate need for approval and inclusion.

End of health warnings.

So why have I posted this then? Well, it's because despite all of the above, it's a model, it's my hobby and I can. And there may be some of you who like it and it might bring a smile to your day.

Okay, for those of you still with me, this is my version of N500, the prototype Sopwith Triplane - the aircraft that is replicated in the Great War Display Team and based at White Waltham airfield. Should you wish to replicate, or avoid replicating, the CDL effect is Precision Paints' Mid-Sandstone enamel, the wood-effect is Humbrol Wood base layer with artist acrylic browns of various shades layered over the top, metal is Humbrol rattle can aluminium, rigging is Albion Alloys silver-nickel wire for support struts and knit-in elastic thread coloured by felt pen for the control wires. Decals are from the kit. Vallejo matt varnish finish, but wing undersides were left with a glossy Klear finish to mimic the reflective dope finish it wore in real life (okay so I did look something up). Oh yes, the spots on the engine cowling were applied by a "Pilot Super Color" pemanent (silver) ink pen (which dries without the need for a protective varnish finish).

So how did it turn out ...

MWW1-Triplane-001.JPG

MWW1-Triplane-009.JPG

MWW1-Triplane-006.JPG

MWW1-Triplane-004.JPG

MWW1-Triplane-003.JPG

Comments welcome as ever.

Viewers who have been affected by the images shown in this thread may wish to see more at here.

Edited by ChocksAway
  • Like 32

Will you stop putting yourself down Graham. Having seen most, if not all of your model collection, you are a much better modeller than you give yourself credit for. That's a great example of a Tripe, and good to see it in a different scheme. :thumbsup:

Looks excellent - and as another brush painter I can find nothing wrong with your finish - bravo, mate!

Regards

Dave

PS - have this kit in my stash so this may move closer to the top to complete after your inspiration

Brilliant job and a great advert for brush painting,...........it is well up there with the best on this site!

Well done,....from another ardent brush painter,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

How dare you display such tosh on this fine website, please do take it away from here and post on some where more apt like Toys R Us!....... is not a phrase I would use on this review :winkgrin: , a fine representation and a someone after my own heart. Lets face it if it was for SWMBO and she is happy with it then nothing else matters!

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Edit: poor England and spilling

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 2

Couple of thoughts. It looks 1000% better than mine, because mine is sitting in the box! I rigged my Pup with round stainless steel with no turnbuckless and I am not ashamed of it, so neither should you. If only the great masters were allowed to show ther work there would be far fewer paintings in the world to admire. (Although I wouldn't miss "Modern" art- I have tried, really tried, but I still don't get it!) The point is, if only the best put their work up here, it wouldn't be fun anymore. I think your Tripe looks great and as to the weathering, my friend Hubert, who wins competitions, never weathers his work. He says it takes too long, he's not that good at it and every aircraft at some point gets rolled out of the paintshop looking perfect!