Airbrushing Lifecolor

tom271282

Hi All,

I know there have been a few threads about this, but I cannot get on with this paint at all!

I have airbrushed all sorts in the past and I haven't really had a problem, even xtracrylix have been mastered.

The paint comes out 'lumpy'. It seems to have bits in it, which may be air bubbles which means the paint doesn't lie flat, and looks rough.

I have tried adding flow improver, I have thinned it, and I have tried high or low pressure, but whatever I try, I cannot get it to lie flat!

What am i doing wrong?!

Cheers

Tom

It's been a while since I airbrushed Lifecolour, but from memory, this is what I had to do to get good results.

Firstly, don't let isopropyl alcohol anywhere near it! IPA will turn the paint into a horrible, gummy mess.

Thin with water, plus a drop or two of Liquitex Slow Dry retarder. Aim for the consistency of skimmed milk, and you'll be fine.

It's not particularly keen in being the primer coat. You will likely find that it tends to bead and pool. Mist the first coat on and don't be tempted to do anything about the beading. Lifecolour self-levels remarkably well and I haven't found any paint that gives a smoother finish.

I found that cleaning the airbrush with hot water with some washing up liquid did the job well. Flush out with water afterwards. If you still get bubbles from the washing up liquid forming in the cup, you can kill them with a tiny drop of thinners or IPA.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Some of their paints are hit and miss, especially white which I have had trouble with, and was very lumpy, but most of their other colours are brilliant to spray, I normally use their own thinners, or de-ionised water mixed with a drop of retarder

Hello all,

Thank you for the kind replies.

Mark - I thoroughly cleaned the airbrush prior to use with warm water and soap to try to ensure that everything was free of thinners or anything else that the paint could react with, but still have the same problem.

I don't like blaming the product, but in this case (RAAF Sky Blue, a very light colour) perhaps the paint is behaving in a similar manner to the white that Kev mentions.

I shall try thinning with future, as I have two pots, one of which is still as bought so to speak, so Klear might settle it down a bit. Its slightly frustrating as I got the paint especially for a Cathay Pacific A340 I am doing. Looks like I might have to try and mix my own using the Mk1 eyeball instead!

I'll keep you posted on any developments.

TTFN

Don't be tempted to thin LC paints in the same way you thin others. I've found that if you do, you'll get wet spidery results (could of course just be my lack of skills too!). Thin 'em a bit less than usual, and see how you get on. You can always add more, but it's not so easy to take it away :smartass:

Hello,

Just a little update on my paint situation.

In the end, I decided against using this particular LifeColor colour. I didn't want to risk ruining the model with a lumpy paint finish.

So, with the help of my better half (I think she can see colours better than me!) I mixed up, by eye the correct shades of colour. About 98% white with a couple of drops of blue and a drop or two of RAF Green. This gave the correct shades (to our eyes). All in my usual Tamiya, so went on like a dream. I'll post some pics in RFI when its done and you can see if I got it right. Surprising how little colour you need to add to the white to get the subtle Cathay shades.

In conclusion, I would consider using LifeColor again, just because so many people swear by them, however in this particular shade (RAAF Sky Blue) I'm afraid its a 'no go' for me.

TTFN

• 2 weeks later...

I tried thinning life colour with their thinner and they mix well. But they spray without thinning best. I drop a drop of thinner or two into the AB before pouring the paint just to prevent clog up and just spraying in light coats, too much thinner (around over 30%)and the paint runs. It certainly has a learning curve.

Comparing Vallejo and lifecolour it seems LC sticks better to any surface and not having problems with mask lifting. Anyone experimented this? I had some partial lifting with Vallejo before so not entirely impressed with its adhesion.

Lately I have also been testing the new stuff from GSI and it seems to have hit the sweet spot.

I tried thinning life colour with their thinner and they mix well. But they spray without thinning best. I drop a drop of thinner or two into the AB before pouring the paint just to prevent clog up and just spraying in light coats, too much thinner (around over 30%)and the paint runs. It certainly has a learning curve.

Comparing Vallejo and lifecolour it seems LC sticks better to any surface and not having problems with mask lifting. Anyone experimented this? I had some partial lifting with Vallejo before so not entirely impressed with its adhesion.

I use their thinner and it can be finicky, but it does finish with a rather nice sort of satin quality to it. However, I've found Lifecolor to have very poor adhesion, and it almost invariably lifts when masked for me.

I use their thinner and it can be finicky, but it does finish with a rather nice sort of satin quality to it. However, I've found Lifecolor to have very poor adhesion, and it almost invariably lifts when masked for me.

Interesting as in my experience Lifecolor paints seem to be have the best adhesion compared to any other water thinned acrylic paint I've used. Of course a good primer coat is always best applied, but on small parts I've brush painted LC without any primer, something I'd never do with Vallejo's

Airbrushing Lifecolors can indeed be difficult and I know more than one modeller who just gave up. Their thinner works well and some use window cleaner. Personally I only use water and a few drops of flow improver/retarder. I rarely use high pressures in general, but I've managed to spray at pretty much any pressure

I use Tamiya paints and they are great. But a few days ago I ordered 3 Lifecolor paints (Dunkelgelb, olivgrün and rotbraun for the StuG III and the Panther I'm building right now) after reading in several websites and magazines about the awesomeness of the Lifecolor paints.

What I can say after airspraying my Panther with the Dunkelgelb is that the shade and finish are great.

Problem: airbrush had clogging problems and to finish I had to clean the needle of my airbrush 2 or 3 times. Not a disaster but given that you MUST spray several very light coats, waiting some time between coats,the clogging may become slightly annoying. On the other hand some retarder could fix the problem. I will order it and try again. If I'll have good results, I'll definately use LC again (but I have to be honest here: Tamiya are much easier to airspray).

Ah, forgot to say the in my test I thinned the LC with Ultimate Universal Thinner (ratio thinner/paint:30/70, as per instructions)

I wouldn't spray *any* acrylic without retarder, to be honest. It's just not worth the hassle. Most of the acrylics I have tried have needed it, so I now add a drop or two as a matter of course.

Could you tell me a good retarder that works with acrylics?

I'll give it a try. How much one needs to add to the paint?

I use the Liquitex one. It'll last you years! I add a drop or two to the airbrush cup, depending on how full it is. Even that small amount makes a big difference. IIRC, on the bottle it says not to add more than 20% (relative to the paint) otherwise you risk the paint never drying. I've never used anything near that amount!

I won't touch Tamiya paints, horrible horrible stuff. Lifecolor isn't that bad to use, the secret is not to thin it as much as other paints.

thanks

Mike

Why do you think it's horrible? I use Tamiya and I find it great: easy to airbrush and... well I just like their paints. I also have a nice list of Tamiya mixes (I enjoy mixing stuff, what can I say?) for anything I may want to build. I tried Vallejo but use them to paint with paintbrush. Lifecolor: my judgement would be unfair because I want first to try with the product suggested by lasermonkey. Ammo: same as for LC. So far Tamiya is the winner for me :)