Mazda 787B (1/24 scale Tamiya)

Just catching up with your thread, love the detailing you're putting in, great work!

Good luck with your next set of decals, hope they're good this time!

Keith

Thanks Keith, fingers crossed the next set will be ok, they are being sent over from Canada so may take even longer than from Europe

The Doctor has just hooned it at Goodwood!!! :)

OMG!! I wish I could get a live feed of it :(

Edited by imster

Just watched it on YouTube, sounds something else.

Just google mazda 787 at goodwood 2015, should be first video hit. Can post link if you want

Thanks mate I'll look it up!

How frustrating. I feel for you, I know how it feels to have a hold up in a build.

Yup and its hard to muster the motivation to get back to finishing it off especially if you look at the colour combo and decals that need to be done lol

• 1 month later...

So I have finished the Honda RC166 motorcycle and decided I better had finish this one off.

I ended up buying another "donor" kit because the bodyshell of the original wasnt in great shape after sanding it down.

So here is how the bodyshell looks now, with the added PE items, the panel lines look messy as I havent cleaned them up yet

IMG_5918.jpg
IMG_5917.jpg

• Like 5

Good to see this back on the bench again

Little tip with yellow decals, put them in a sandwich bag and tape them to a window that gets a good amount of sunlight it some how takes the yellow out, I had a similar problem with a tamiya mclaren mp4 13 and I got told the above method and it worked after a few days in winter so beings it's now summer I can't see it taking more than a day

Shaun

• Like 2

The P.E definitely adds something to the front end Imster.

Nice work mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Simon.

Yeah I was debating whether or not to put the PE airvents as cutting out the original plastic parts and getting the PE part to sit flat is a little tricky, came out perfect though in the end, so I'm pleased I did it

So so good..

Thanks Homer :)

Good to see this back on the bench again

Little tip with yellow decals, put them in a sandwich bag and tape them to a window that gets a good amount of sunlight it some how takes the yellow out, I had a similar problem with a tamiya mclaren mp4 13 and I got told the above method and it worked after a few days in winter so beings it's now summer I can't see it taking more than a day

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, Ive done the decals in sunlight trick a few times and the current crop are sitting on the window getting some rays as we speak :)

good to see this build is back :)

Thanks Rich!

Just found your build thread, superb. One of my favorite LM cars.

Colin

Yes the lines on this are perfect, this era of LM cars styling was my favourite

So the basecoats and the first gloss coat has been laid. All of it was masked and it can be a little tricky so planning the masking was very important. It took a total of a couple of days work mainly to allow the paints to dry, before further masking. I gotta say I'm not overly impressed with Zero Paints basecoats for this livery as you will see below in the pics there were a couple of issues I encountered:

1) the orange is extremely translucent to the point where you are giving it up to 8-10 coats of colour just to achieve the right level of orange, naturally this means the coat of paint ends up very thick and as a result it become pretty fragile. This coupled with trying to get the orange all uniform without light and dark patches made this very tedious
2) even after allowing drying time there was one spot where the paint lifted after masking, you can see it on the right hand side window sill, luckily that part will be covered by the side window!

I will not be displaying this with the engine cover closed, I figured I have done so much work on the engine it would be a shame to cover it all up, so I will look into how the teams used to store the cover when they were working on the engine anyone with advice or pics of this please feel free to show me :)

Overall happy at how its taking shape, not too fussed about the edges where the colours meet as they will be covered for the most part by decals, that said the masking came out really well without any bleeding through.

So on with the pics:

Here is how the orange was built up:
Body primered and painted with white basecoat
IMG_5953.jpg

First couple of coats on:
IMG_5954.jpg

Building up the colour (4-5 coats at this point):
IMG_5955.jpg

Even more paint! (6-8 coats roughly):
IMG_5956.jpg

Finally done!!
IMG_5960.jpg

I apologise for not posting any pics with the masking on, I was so busy with getting the masking right that taking photos was the last thing on my mind lol. Here are the only pics I have with masking on the parts
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_5965.jpg

Here is where the paint peeled away with the masking tape :((
IMG_6008.jpg

Couldnt help but mock it up and see how it will look! Not too fussed about fitment of the engine cover as this will be displayed off the car. To the eagle eyed people out there you will see that the right rear wheel is not on and the dashboard is missing too
IMG_6009.jpg
IMG_6013.jpg

And finally here are pics with my proper camera unlike the iPhone pics above. There is just 1 coat of clear on this hence the shine isnt quite there yet, I will put the decals on and then do the final coats of clear which will shine up much more
DSC04209.jpg
DSC04208.jpg
DSC04207.jpg
DSC04201.jpg
DSC04202.jpg
DSC04210.jpg

• Like 6

Very, very tasty. I do like the rims. Only LM car kit I have left is a half built Hasegawa Dome... I did like the way the Japanese teams tackled Le Mans.

• Like 1

Beautiful, can't wait to see it finished. As for the engine cover being off the car, it should sit on frame to keep

it off the floor and away from size 9 boots,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks all! I'm part way through the decals and no disasters yet lol

Beautiful, can't wait to see it finished. As for the engine cover being off the car, it should sit on frame to keep

it off the floor and away from size 9 boots,

Sean

Thanks Sean, I was thinking of making a frame like device which holds the cover flat rather than hanging, maybe i will look at more reference pics for some inspiration