Tamiya Lancaster BI/III

Simon Cornes

I've just picked up a pretty dog eared boxing of this kit so I'm checking to see what aftermarket stuff there is for it. So far all I've come up with is True Details wheels and Quickboost gun barrels (I'm ignoring decals and etch here). I'm a bit surprised that there is nothing in the way of resin for the turrets or cockpit? I also thought that Lancs had smooth tyres until later in the war? Ifa nyone can give me a snap shot of what is/was availablea nd any recommendations for the kit then I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Simon

There is a lot of Eduard interior detailing PE but you're pretty much on your own for non PE detailing parts. Most of what used to be available was from Paragon and therefore no longer available, and in any case was mostly conversion stuff rather than detailing.

Apart from various makes of gun barrel you can get wheels and nacelles from Belcher Bits in Canada.

This guide on the Relish website is as good a starting point as any.

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/build-a-better-lancaster-part-1.html

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/build-a-better-lancaster-part-2.html

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/build-a-better-lancaster-part-3.html

Edited by Work In Progress

I think that Freightdog also sell some Lancaster related items Simon. And you're right about the tyres. White Ensign also did some but they may be difficult to find since the company's unfortunate dissolution.

Edited by avro683

1/48 is not really my scale but I seem to recall resin engine nacelles (prob Belcher as ref above) improve upon those in the kit which are short?

The newer release by Tamiya may dealt with a few of the other accuracy issues. Mentioning this I am now hoping you have the newer release . . . .However, whichever is the case, I built the original Dambuster version 20yrs ago OTB, and despite my skill levels. it was a beautiful, big bird.

Thanks guys. I do have the original kit so all of the aftermarket stuff is of interest. Great link to Relish, must have a better look at Grahams site. It seems like wheels, bomb aimers blister, engine nacelles and needle props are the priorities so I'll see what Graham can provide. If you can think of anything else then please let me know!

Thanks

Simon

Thanks guys. I do have the original kit so all of the aftermarket stuff is of interest. Great link to Relish, must have a better look at Grahams site. It seems like wheels, bomb aimers blister, engine nacelles and needle props are the priorities so I'll see what Graham can provide. If you can think of anything else then please let me know!

Thanks

Simon

Most of the AM is does not really correct some of the basic problems with the kit. If ignorance is bliss don't read the link!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80456-tamiya-148-lancaster/#entry882341

I'm amazed how much the damn thing still sells for, considering how old and lacking in many areas.... C'mon Airfix ;)

Note the Eduard interior set does have some useful parts, and does include some turret detailing.

the props are fine for some planes, but they tend to have have the larger nose blister. Note the later issues of the kit have needle props and the larger nose blister, so many of these are in spares boxes.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

Thanks for that - I did look! Not to worry though, if I get to build it then it will look like a Lanc one way or another and I'm very inclined to import some of the Belcher Bits because, as is often the case, Graham is showing things as 'Out of Stock' - but his guide is extremely useful! Spear props seem to be the big issue though - would be nice if Mr Adams did some!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Troy,

Thanks for that - I did look! Not to worry though, if I get to build it then it will look like a Lanc one way or another and I'm very inclined to import some of the Belcher Bits because, as is often the case, Graham is showing things as 'Out of Stock' - but his guide is extremely useful! Spear props seem to be the big issue though - would be nice if Mr Adams did some!

Suggest asking on our helpful wanted page to see if anyone has some spares from one of the later boxings with both types.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/previews/tamiya/61105.htm

Over the years, modelers have complained that the kit did not provide the narrow-chord props associated with the Mk.I, though modifying the kit props was a simple process using a sanding stick and perhaps 30-40 minutes of one’s time. A more cogent complaint was that the engine cowls fit the nacelles badly, requiring lots of putty, sanding, and rescribing to get them looking right.

Tamiya appears to have gotten the message. This kit provides both types of propellers, and the engine cowlings have been redesigned so that their fit is excellent. The kit includes extra cowlings that do not have the flame damping covers, and individual exhaust stacks. It also includes the two late-war bulged bomb-aimer’s “bubble,” and the modified FN50 turret equipped with two U.S. M-2 .50 caliber machine guns that appeared on Lancasters during the last year of the war. Additionally, the kit is molded in overall grey plastic, which makes assembly and painting much easier. Additionally, the kit includes a set of “weighted” main wheels.

Or, if that fails, ask the Tamiya importers how much that sprue would be.

Importers are Hobbyco

http://www.hobbyco.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=WSHobby/help/contactustab.p?session=blagjajicdkciaNLmEiAubiWbzbaapik

They can supply spares but they are expensive as it's an entire sprue. But it does have the smooth tyres and cowligs mentioned above so maybe worth getting.

61105a.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

Suggest asking on our helpful wanted page to see if anyone has some spares from one of the later boxings with both types.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/previews/tamiya/61105.htm

Or, if that fails, ask the Tamiya importers how much that sprue would be.

Importers are Hobbyco

http://www.hobbyco.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=WSHobby/help/contactustab.p?session=blagjajicdkciaNLmEiAubiWbzbaapik

They can supply spares but they are expensive as it's an entire sprue. But it does have the smooth tyres and cowligs mentioned above so maybe worth getting.

61105a.jpg

HTH

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that sprue myself!!!

I finally got one of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster's last year for a very reasonable price, however it is the older version of the kit. I think I've spent nearly as much as I bought the kit for on after market parts including a falcon canopies set just for the large bomb aimers blister. The Quickboost resin guns look more 1/72 than 1/48 scale (I bought a set and found them more at home on the Airfix Lanc) so I got the Master Brass 1/48 .303 guns and they are very good.

If you do a quick search on Hannants site you'll find a shed load of brass stuff, however most of the details I'll end up scratch building.

I only wish I could find some more after market decals; I do want to do S-Sugar as detaild in the kit but I'm not sure how these decals will be after all of these years...

Karl

Hi Guys,

Well I plumped for the Hobbyco route because the reviews suggest that the new Tamiya bits sort out the earlier issues and, being Tamiya, should fit very well. I think that the lesson here is to buy an early kit if you want to build a late or post war Lanc and then you'll only need the bomb aimers blister and probably a set of True Detail weighted, treaded wheels. If you want an early to mid Lanc then don't buy an early boxing, buy a copy of a kit which includes the extra sprues as standard. We live and learn.

As for non-WWII markings Hannants have Berna BER48113 for Aeronatique Navale machines or Model Aliance do sheet ML48210 for a post war Coastal Command Grey and white RAF machine.

Simon

Have got around the Quickboost oval opening .303 barrels by using the set marketed for the Wellington - #48277. Okay, so you need two sets but in the scheme of things they eally improve the guns!

Hi Guys,

Well I plumped for the Hobbyco route because the reviews suggest that the new Tamiya bits sort out the earlier issues and, being Tamiya, should fit very well.

How much did the extra sprue cost ? Might be of use to other folk.

I occasionally dig out my kit, mostly assembled at 14, and then broken down a bit later and stored ever since. Needs a serious date with paint stripper to find if salvage is possible.

I was shocked to be reminded the damn thing cost £14 back in 1980 though, can't believe how much it still seems to sell for now!

There is also some stuff from Belcher bits (Canada). They have some smooth resin Tyers and als resin replacement engines. Maybee they are at the Telford show in November this year. I bought these items a couple of years back at the show.

For the interior You will have to do with Eduard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hi

I was shocked to be reminded the damn thing cost £14 back in 1980 though, can't believe how much it still seems to sell for now!

You did well. My dad bought me my first Tamiya Lanc in 1978, 13 year old Birthday pressie, and it was £16.99 at Beatties,

Regards

Paul

£94.47 today.

Incidentally If anyone wants to know where I get these numbers come from you can muck about with ONS historical inflation stats, or if you want it quick and dirty just use this:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

It is quite a handy thing to have bookmarked.