Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G, 1/35, Tamiya

• 2 weeks later...

Oy, boys. Streaking done.

panzerIIg-86_zpsjzd9lln2.jpg

I used two streaking products in my Panzer.

panzerIIg-87_zpsl5rlfwlw.jpg

First was AK's Streaking Grime for Panzer Grey (AK 069)

panzerIIg-88_zpsrv8r6hyh.jpg

Second was also AK - Rust Streaks (AK 013).

panzerIIg-89_zpsmosu0jkg.jpg

I am fairly happy with it's looks.

panzerIIg-90_zps8ilxph56.jpg

Finally I started to see the end of the project.

panzerIIg-91_zpsskf72j31.jpg

But the biggest step is still ahead.

panzerIIg-92_zpsdibuf5wt.jpg

In every model I make i try to focus on something else - one effect which will dominate. This Panzer II will have proper amount of dust and earth effects - this is my theme for this one. This vehicle was used on eastern front - Ukraine and Russia. I want to represent effects of very dry summer in Russia. We'll se how it goes. Real soon. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Hi lads. I've moved to the next stage of weathering: dusting and earth effects.

panzerIIg-93_zpsto4zkp75.jpg

But first, I added some more streaks with oil paints.

panzerIIg-94_zpsz9fawupo.jpg

I used burnt sienna mixed with crimson red, to enhance the hue, to make it more rusty.

panzerIIg-95_zpszgbtyulz.jpg

After that I moved to the hull and fenders.

panzerIIg-96_zps15uzjmsc.jpg

First I painted whole area with Mig's Kursk Soil. Then there were pigments.

panzerIIg-98_zpsx31qefvn.jpg

I used Mig's Europe Dust, Rubbel Dust and Russian Earth. I've put them in layers. I wanted to be random. To seal the pigments i used Pigment Fixer (AK product).

• Like 2

Thanx, PlaStix. Hope you'll like this:

panzerIIg-99_zpsytlos1lu.jpg

I put first layer of dust on the model.

panzerIIg-100_zpsxaxeqybs.jpg

I did with Africa Dust Effect from AK. I sprayed it with an airbrush in several places. Very irregular coat.

panzerIIg-102_zpswmj46ptx.jpg

After that I tapped all the areas with a brush dipped in White Spirit. I left some of the dust in some places, in other i almost completely removed it. I was random.

panzerIIg-103_zpsvzqwhiyu.jpg

Pictures look a bit messy, but it's mostly form high contrast and clarity levels. Next step will add some more tones and soften it up a bit.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Thanx, boys, I do appreciate kind words. I got a little more done.

panzerIIg-104_zpspnqyluee.jpg

I wanted to add some tones to Africa Dust Effect i did on previous post.

panzerIIg-105_zpsoz6nfxse.jpg

This time i put two Nature Effects products from Mig Ammo: Earth and Kursk Soil. I just placed irregular "stains" with brush. Then i dipped brush in white spirit and tapped fluids in.

panzerIIg-106_zpsusedcf0x.jpg

I did all vertical surfaces. Mainly turret, tool boxes, and hull.

panzerIIg-107_zpslnq9dqwv.jpg

After that i redid some of the streakings. I wanted to make it look more 3D, old streaks, dust, new streaks.

panzerIIg-108_zpssk8cwnqr.jpg

Different tones look good - i did two layers, so the would kinda overlap.

panzerIIg-109_zpsghilkaf1.jpg

This lower hull area is a good example of this stage. At the end i put a coat of AK's Varnish Ultra Matte. I really love this produkt. It gives great "deadmat" surface.

Next step will be horizontal surfaces - especially top of the turret and engine area. This time I'll put some pigments on.

Enjoy

Dawid

• Like 1

Cheer, boys!

Pigments done. Here's how it's done.

panzerIIg-110_zpsrajkym7b.jpg

I used: Mig's Rubbel Dust, Europe Dust and Earth and Desert Dust from Vallejo.

panzerIIg-111_zpsmgpbq0bp.jpg

I've put some pigments with a brush on model's surface. Then i touched it with a brush dipped in turpentine.

panzerIIg-112_zps7q9xql8j.jpg

After that i used big brush and gently wiped out the excess of pigments.

panzerIIg-113_zpsil4awprk.jpg

I only wanted a very light layer, as i wanted to build them up. That was number 1.

panzerIIg-114_zpslne1964h.jpg

After that i let it rest for 24 hours. It was time for layer number 2. I was more generous with pigments, i focused on all holes, gaps, irregularities etc...

panzerIIg-115_zpsnkv0vjtj.jpg

I am happy with the outcome.

panzerIIg-116_zpsdaopusji.jpg

This time the lightest pigment (desert rust) was dominant. End of layer 2.

panzerIIg-117_zpsicrce5lb.jpg

Another 24 hours and another - final - layer of pigments.

panzerIIg-118_zps7exwl2am.jpg

This time Europe Dust was dominant.

panzerIIg-118_zps7exwl2am.jpg

This time i focused more on the hatch and other places, that we're hardly accesible...

panzerIIg-119_zpsruse5zny.jpg

Or just weren't use by the crew that much.

panzerIIg-120_zpsxzgpchiz.jpg

I'm thinking about adding 1 or 2 fresh streaks, to add some more that "3D" look.

panzerIIg-121_zpss4j1ppc8.jpg

I like that hatch area. :)

panzerIIg-122_zpsiisuwkbx.jpg

Next step: closing the lower hull: whells, tracks etc...

Enjoy.

Dawid

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dawid,

This is looking great, I'm following this with interest! The pigments are really working well to give it the sense of a battle-weary machine that's been through a lot (maybe an Ostfront PzII?)

How much better are the metal barrels than the kit ones? I've been inspired by yours and PlaStix's version of this kit to buy one for myself and was debating whether I would get the metal barrels, as they're more expensive than the kit itself!

Grant

Thank you boys. Illuria - yes - this is the machine it was used in the Eastern Front - summer '43 in Russia? Hard, almost desert-like conditions with lotsa dust and dirts. As for the barrels - I would definately recommend buying metal ones - they add a lot. I also used Eduard's PE set and there's still more to come :)

Now the progress - lots of pics - beware!

I thought i went OK with the amount of chips and scratches. But i showed the thing on Facebook and one of my friends (great modeller) said it was bit insipid. I decided to stratch the tank some more.

panzerIIg-123_zps9gp8s9be.jpg

Here are turret's chips.

panzerIIg-124_zpsg8qtzhfo.jpg

Engine area...

panzerIIg-125_zpsm1saqtew.jpg

This is Tamiya's German Grey (XF-63) mixed with White (XF-2).

panzerIIg-126_zps5wbd6kmu.jpg

Over that i put some Rust colour.

panzerIIg-127_zpsp9pkfa0p.jpg

That step was to add some tone variations.

panzerIIg-128_zpsa781euoi.jpg

Then it was time to put some wet anf fuel effects.

panzerIIg-129_zps48vqrxvo.jpg

This was Mig's Wet Fluid.

panzerIIg-131_zpskftvbvlu.jpg

Then i put some Fuel Stains (AK-Interactive) in engine area. I am not entirely happy. I did that in 3 layers. First was very diluted with White Spirit, second - little diluted, third - not diluted at all.

panzerIIg-132_zpsk5h0ycrb.jpg

To bring some more volume and more tones i did some speckles with Fresh Mud fluid.

panzerIIg-133_zpsxumlt2na.jpg

As i said, i am not entirely happy with the result.

panzerIIg-134_zpsf6q4cytp.jpg

We'll see how you'll see it.

panzerIIg-135_zpsax28amt6.jpg

Next step: the tracks. I did them in few steps. Primer, AK's Rusty Trakcs paint, then the Tracks Wash (AK), and Mr. Hobby Gun Metal (drybrushing technique). After that, i put some pigments.

panzerIIg-136_zpshgovupva.jpg

Still to work on.

panzerIIg-137_zpsbsob8bti.jpg

Finally - i assembled the trakcs. Fitting them wasn't hard, although rubber did stretch a bit which caused some peeling off of the paint. Had to repaints few links.

panzerIIg-138_zpssjecjpti.jpg

Everything looks OK. I read that some of the fellas did have trouble with tracks fitting, cause they were too short. I had that concern but everything went good.

panzerIIg-139_zpswapvki0z.jpg

Finally it looks like a tank.

panzerIIg-140_zps5chnqudo.jpg

Did some more speckles on the sides.

panzerIIg-142_zpsorxfm3su.jpg

Then i took pencil and did some edges with side of it.

panzerIIg-143_zpsnyqy88fy.jpg

Some wet effects seen.

panzerIIg-145_zpsy7mm0gbh.jpg

....and on front, too.

panzerIIg-146_zps4zd6dh7o.jpg

Final step of today's works was wheels weathering.

panzerIIg-147_zpshg5zyhmx.jpg

I'm gonna od it two, three steps. First was the Kursk Soil (Mig) mixed with some plaster - to make some volume.

panzerIIg-148_zps9lmcwbiy.jpg

I simply brushed in on the wheels and lower hull.

panzerIIg-149_zpsf09xymxw.jpg

After few minutes i took clean brush, dipped it in White Spirit and cleared most of mixture leaving light layer of it. Next layer will be a bit lighter to maintain tone variations.

That is it for today, folks.

Thanks for watching.

Dawid

• Like 1

Short entry...

I did a little somethin - a cloth if you will. I wanted to cover rear toolbox, as it doesn't have buckles which were lost. I got some sculpting mass - very clay like. Formed a piece which would look like rolled cloth of some sort. I covered the toolbox. And i don't know should I keep it on. It looks clumsy and thick - very much like carpet. It's the first time I did something like that and I'm fairly happy looking from this perspective. Should I keep it on or keep trying? Maybe Green Stuff would be better?

panzerIIg-154_zps8irrz82n.jpg

panzerIIg-153_zpsi0ixlk78.jpg

panzerIIg-152_zpssmsnumfs.jpg

panzerIIg-151_zpsfoqubvr2.jpg

panzerIIg-150_zpsyh1dhpzu.jpg

Enjoy.

Dawid

Hi Dawid,

I agree, it looks a bit thick. Have you tried thinning it a bit flatter with some kind of rolling pin? Then using a T11 to cut it back into a rectangular shape before doing the 'draping' as you will.

My kit arrived today! I'm using the Eduard photoetch set but I've not gone for the Aber barrels or any new tracks as I don't feel my current skills warrant the extra cost. I'll be putting up a WiP tonight with some photos of the bits and be starting this weekend!

Grant/Illuria

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, lads. A little update, as I didn't have much time lately:

panzerIIg-155_zps0gi1ryqx.jpg

I did another cloth - this time youghurt cover supplied the material.

panzerIIg-156_zpsbj7wg4n8.jpg

It got a liitle sharp on the edges so I covered it with 8 or nine layers of primer to smooth it.

panzerIIg-157_zpsngw3wuyg.jpg

And this is how it looks. I'm fairly happy with it so i'm gonna paint and weather it. We'll see how it'll look.

panzerIIg-158_zpslsrml6rd.jpg

Another thing. A friend of mine does this grassy mats. Thought I purchase one and I did.

panzerIIg-159_zpsbjpng7wb.jpg

Vivid colours will give me nice contrast to the tank.

panzerIIg-160_zpspzjyuyeb.jpg

Things going good.

Just a thought, but if it's just a case of concealing the fact that a couple of details are missing from your tool box, why not make a couple of bits of old 'rag' and drape them over the tool box, rather than making a great big sheet and covering up the whole thing? As it is now, the sheet looks awkward, no matter how realistic it is. And it's obvious that it's only there to hide the toolbox. While I like a good bit of clutter/stowage on a tank it has to 'fit' the look. Your tank is 'tidy', and I don't think the crew would leave a big sheet flapping about overhanging the edge where it might snag and fall off...

Just a thought, but if it's just a case of concealing the fact that a couple of details are missing from your tool box, why not make a couple of bits of old 'rag' and drape them over the tool box, rather than making a great big sheet and covering up the whole thing? As it is now, the sheet looks awkward, no matter how realistic it is. And it's obvious that it's only there to hide the toolbox. While I like a good bit of clutter/stowage on a tank it has to 'fit' the look. Your tank is 'tidy', and I don't think the crew would leave a big sheet flapping about overhanging the edge where it might snag and fall off...

I agree with your comments, a tarp that big and close to the tracks would of lasted seconds in real life, it would of been in the tracks and off. Worse case getting wrapped up in the idler and throwing a track or binding up, best case just being thrown clear.

I would just keep it clear of all moving parts.

One other point, you need to settle the tank on the base and give it a sense of weight, it looks like it's floating on the grass.

Cracking build though and will look great once done, it's amazing what you can do with these older Tamiya kits.

Dan

Thanks for very constructive comments, lads. Now I see that sheet is too big and I will not continue. I'll try with smaller rag, maybe, or I'll just forget it and try to focus viewer's eye on something else. The tank isn't glued to the base yet as the base is not ready yet.

• 2 weeks later...