Tamiya 1/20 Nigel Mansell Newman-Haas Indycar

Hi all,

this is my latest build. Not quite finished, as the tyre decals were perished. The downside of buying old kits via ebay! I have ordered some new ones from America (Indycals), so hopefully it will be finished soon. I'll also be removing the mould lines on the tyres.

Again with all my previous posts, this kit was hand painted. Air brushing undoubtedly gives a better finish. But, for me, I find brush work somewhat therapeutic. After all our hobby is supposed to be nothing if not a relaxing time away from modern life!

As per some other members posts of the same model on here, if you want to see the engine detail, the best idea is to remove the side pods from the cowl & have the centre section removable. Trying to remove the whole engine cowling without destroying the decals or ripping the mirrors off would be something of an achievement! This is something that I wasn't that concerned with.

This is a snap together, no glue required kit. However, I must admit I glued everything as per a normal kit. I prefer the security of knowing its a good solid fit.

I've not seen any interviews with Nigel Mansell, post race. But if he had to mention all his sponsors in the time honoured Indycar fashion, he'd have been there for ages! There are a lot of decals on this model! Patience is definitely required!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Next up is a bit of a Porsche mash together, watch this space!032_zpsvvcbvafh.jpg036_zpscfrdnypr.jpg035_zpspqoaq7lz.jpg034_zps9jj8slbf.jpg033_zpsrrwbyy2h.jpg

• Like 4

Nice one, Phil. Loved it when Mansell drove this car, the only time I've watched Indy racing. Fine model

you've made,

Sean

• Like 1

Nice one phil, an awesome job.

Did you have the same flimsyness problems with the wheel & steering rods as I did?

How did you find putting the sidepods/cowling into place?

Mine was a little fiddily, but it went in once I jer-jer-jiggled it a bit.

Hi DD,

Tie rods etc were definitely tricky. There were a few bum twitching moments!

The engine cowling was a pain in the ****, but once it's on, it fits ok. I didn't separate the side pods from the centre section, so mine will never be coming off again!

I did notice that its a bit longer than my other models, inc 1/20 F1 cars. So, annoyingly it wouldn't fit in the same size display box as the rest.

Next up for me is an old 1976 Tamiya 1/20 Porsche 935 "Martini" kit. I have a few changes planned, so it won't be completely standard.

Good luck with the rest of your build, I look forward to seeing it.

You've got a lovely finish on it, i only just got away with the tyre decals on mine they do seem to weaken badly with age.

• Like 1