1/72 Spitfire PR XI by Attack Squadron this summer

TEMPESTMK5

Helo Britmodelers,

I am Wojtek Bulhak from Arma Hobby/Attack Squadron. Thank you for discussing our new Spitfire XI kit. I can reveal some insider information. You asked about price. Spit XI is much better designed and has smaller number of parts compared to F8F-1. So it will be less expensive than Bearcat, do not worry. Also there will be two kit - economy EZ-Set (no cameras, less PE and one RAF marking scheme) and PRO-set with bigger PE, marking options (1 RAF SEAC, 4 US and one Danish. More interior detail like camerac, fuel tank will be included.

See more on http://www.armahobby.com/category/uzbrojenie-lotnicze-spitfire

• Like 4

big_spit_ren_ez_02.jpg

Decals for PRO - Set:

• vacu canopy
  • radio and IFF boxes
  • extra two cameras set visible through open hatches
  • underbelly tank
  • enlarged photoetched fret with details inside the cockpit, dashboard, belts, pedals of rudder, camera's hathces, underwing cooler mesh, wheel hub covers, scissors for undercarriage legs
big_72067_kalka.jpg

So I assume:

1)Spitfire PR.Mk.XI Spitfire PRXI PL963 / N74138 White 4 "Embassy of the United States of America, Civil Air Attache London"

2)Spitfire PR.Mk.XI Danish - PL794

3)Spitfire PR.Mk.XI PR.Mk. XI, 7th, 14 Sq PA944

4)Spitfire PR.Mk.XI Unit: 681 Sqn, RAF, Serial: F (PL781), Kuala Lumpur, 1945

5)Spitfire MK XI PA892 "Darling Dorothy" [??? - not sure*]

6)Spitfire MK XI , MB950, 7PRG, 14th Photo Squadron, Mount Farm, England

standard EZ-Set

decals:

big_72066_kalka.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire PR Mark XI, PL775 A, of No. 541 Squadron RAF based at Benson

PE for both

big_asq-72066-pe.jpg

3694418318_d56484121b_z_zpsrwrqlppz.jpg

Hm, "My Darling Dorothy" missed in preview decals?

• Like 2

Why has this mark (Xl) of Spitfire been so shunned by kitmakers? Over 700 were built: more than Xll, 19 and 22 all now available from Airfix alone, to say nothing of the range of finishes, again greater than the aforementioned. At last this 'wrong' being righted.

The view of the parts is interesting too: presumably the kit will have a propeller and underwing fairings, buy why the two breaks in the fuselage? Does this mean that more PR versions will follow?

Did the PR Mk.XI really have a wider range of finishes than the Mk.XIX? Not colour schemes, surely, although perhaps one less country.

Fewer kits have appeared because they weren't killing machines. We may feel we are above such things but the market for model aeroplanes isn't. Plus, the Mk.XIX has been seen by many people, enthusiasts and general population, since the BBMF began. They were the last Spitfires in RAF service, which lends a certain cachet.

The Mk.XII isn't available from Airfix in /172, and the MPM Mk.XI was available before the equivalent 1/72 Mk.XII. As indeed was the Ventura Mk.XI. (I'm deliberately ignoring the Merlin Mk.XII...was it Merlin? I prefer not to think about it, perhaps it was just a bad dream.)

Most of all, however, the Mk.XI is an easy conversion. A dedicated kit just hasn't been needed, just a bit of filler and a touch of effort.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

The MPM XI is still available, with a bit of searching.

Yes, Merlin did the XII. You're best off thinking is was a bad dream. I had one - may still have the bits somewhere - and it is indeed abysmal. Worse even than the Model News kit, and that's nigh on unbuildable.

Thanks: I had forgotten the Model News one: wish I'd forgotten their Allison P-51. It has since occurred to me that MPM did one PR Mk.XI very early on, and another more recently. I don't know the difference between the two - hopefully the later one is better.

[...]

Most of all, however, the Mk.XI is an easy conversion. A dedicated kit just hasn't been needed, just a bit of filler and a touch of effort.

Yep. A little bit of filler here & where 'et voilà:

spit_ren_pro_03.jpg

(-; comparing old[MPM is from year 2000?] made with epoxy moulds vs. CAD designed and 3D printed kit it's a bit risky IMHO.

But... some would prefer old Frog kits in advance of ~new~ Airfix... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Don't entirely agree: Freightdog have a 1/72 conversion set involving an Airfix PR19 and sundry resin parts. Straightforward, yes, but more than could be achieved with 'a bit of filler'.

Mine nears completion just as Attack Squadron now reveal late June release of their own .....

Wow this is great news indeed, and I can see myself having a few of these (though I'll need to give my secret slush fund a small uplift).

One thing I've noticed about the American XIs: it seems most of them reverted to the small untropicalised carburettor intake as time went on. I wonder whether this was in order to squeeze out a few more mph on the deep penetration trips. So with any luck this new kit will include both types of intake. In any case I can't wait!

Justin

In fact, looking at the pics on a bigger screen, it seems both intakes are indeed included, along with the full selection of belly tanks and wheels. Oh my wallet, but roll on June!

• 3 weeks later...

Received the news from Attack Squadron that together with the new kit they are releasing a set of RAF PR colours together with Hataka

http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2015/06/24/raf-photoreconnaissance-spitfire-color-set-result-of-cooperation-between-hataka-hobby-and-attack-squadron/

Good news, hope the PR pink is the right pale shade and not the deep shade proposed by others in the past

Edited by Giorgio N

Spitfire XI info updated in our shop, including prices and decals:

EZ Set 25 EUR

http://www.armahobby.com/spitfire-mk-xi-ez-set.html

PRO-Set 32.50 EUR

http://www.armahobby.com/spitfire-mk-xi-pro-set.html

Kits will contain vacu canopy by Rob Taurus. Release date - late June.

Hello Wojtek

Been following your project with great interest since his debut on your website.I am a Spitfire unconditional .

I must say I am quite interested by this one because of the level of detail of this new kit.

But as I am more interested by the basic shape and dimensions of a model ( detail can always be added with personal work ) , can you please tell us a little bit more about the dimensions o

f this model.I would be interested by the fuselage length ,from firewall to rudder hinge and from Firewall to propeller back plate. I won't ask you for the cross sections, but If you want

to inform us I would be more than satisfied.

Also, a one piece wing is not a bad idea, but with that level of detail I would have liked to have the possibility of free ailerons.

Once installed all the cams will be invisible , why not the choice of a clear resin upper fuselage part ?

Congratulations and Good luck with this one.

I feel that it is going to be difficult to resist ... I resisted the Bearcat because of the price , but this one ....

Madcop