Dunkirk anniversary build-Spitfire

Hi folks,as a diversion from a couple of other larger builds over the last week or two I have built another little 1/72 scale Airfix

Spitfire one of a few flown by Kiwi flyer Al Deere over the period of Operation Dynamo seventy five years ago this week.As usual

with any build of a specific aircraft of a well known flyer a large can of worms needs to be opened as far as colours and markings

are concerned and the discussion leading to this scheme can be found here,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981609-dunkirk-spitfires/

So from the best information suggested I have settled on this scheme,the decals were let down by the codes which were from an

ancient mk1 Hasegawa boxing so many apologies,but I hope you like this tribute to those flyer,s trying to stem the tide of the

Luftwaffe,s advances in those desperate day,s seventy five year,s ago.

SDC13434%20640x480_zpsbym2gfzu.jpgSDC13436%20640x480_zpsqpry7gre.jpgSDC13432%20640x480_zpsvswqjqob.jpgSDC13431%20640x480_zps6remmcxk.jpgSDC13429%20640x480_zpsawh4q5f2.jpgSDC13426%20640x480_zpsg6zbiosh.jpg

• Like 19

Gorgeous! As you know, this aircraft was the first Spitfire to shoot down a 109, on 23 May 1940 -- I think it may have had a Rotol prop/spinner, as Al Deere makes mention of this in his memoirs.

• Like 2

There was definitely something going on:

kiwi1.jpg

As I said P a whole can of worm,s,He flew more than one aircraft over the Dunkirk/Battle of Britain period as far as I can tell this photo was one of the

latter aircraft from the BoB with that non-standard roundel I have based mine on the information supplied in the link which has to be a best guess.

I have only seen the Kiwi emblem on both fuselage sides on this latter scheme too.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Thats some severe paint chipping on the wing roots - were they allowed to get into such a state this early in the war?

I would say it is possible,don,t forget the squadron were only one of a few Spitfire operators the RAF risked over the continent at the time of the Dunkirk

evacuation.

Nice job Steve, Al Deere is another of my childhood heroes, nice to see his 'plane represented so well :coolio:

Cheers,

Stew

Cheer,s Stew,as I said best guess on the scheme.

That's excellent Steve and what a good idea for an extra project. :thumbsup:

Thank,s Stix,must remember in future to post in RFI and not WIP! have PM,d to have it moved,to be honest I usually just lighten my pics before posting

but tried auto adjust and not 100% happy as the colour,s is much deeper than the kit looks but a nice quick build all the same.

• Like 1

Lovely job! Coincidentally, I've justed started a Spitfire Dunkirk Anniversary / Tribute build.

Nice one Mitch,look forward to seeing it posted when it,s finished

• Like 1

There you go, out of nowhere Steve pulls this beautiful little gem! :thumbsup::clap: (big decals on a big Phantom must be boring, isn't that true? :winkgrin: )

Ciao

Beautiful spitfire Steve :):goodjob: you know i like your builds, so if you wont mind, i would have only one suggestion - the light wash looks great on the black underside, but on the top side the contrast between the light wash is maybe a bit too big. If i may recommend you, for the brown/green WW2 camo i found medium brown wash works quite nice - it looks like dirty dust, it is just slightly lighter and darker then the camouflage colours (depends which one), so the panel lines are more natural (once again, just in my eyes ;) ) - i was using the neutral brown wash on my SEAC Spitfire and Shangri - La Mustang if you would like to see the effect (and no matter what wash i am using, for control surfaces and cowling panels i m using dark brown wash, to give it some depth and difference from normal panel lines ;) )

Now i hope you do not mind this suggestion Steve, as i said, i love your builds and i m sure the light grey wash has its use on upper surfaces too. Thinking about it now, it might be the Airfix 1/72 deeper panel lines which made the contrast too big - i found out if you have such a kits with nice but deeper panel lines, using less contrasting wash gives better overall feeling to me.

Sorry for the wall of text Steve, and once again i hope you do not mind the suggestion, because it was said just to help a bit if i may :)

edit:

And i almost forgot... Steve i m totaly in love with the shiny canopy! This is something i have to learn yet.. no matter what i am doing, it always ends up a bit dirty or simply not so shiny.. but yours looks great! :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

Thank,s Wolwe, I used a lighter version of the main colours for the wash on her to see how it looked as I have used black on this kit in the past

and it,s too much on those deep panel lines,I like the sound of the method you used on your Spitfire and Mustang I,m thinking of going up to 1/48

scale for the BoB group build with Airfix,s new Spitfire and Hurricane so it will be a perfect opportunity to try it out,hope we will see an entry from you

too!

• Like 1

I see it is the deep panel lines then :( it is tricky to deal with these i agree :) I m also fighting these often :)

As for the BoB GB, i hope i ll have time to join this one and also some more GB and STGB again.. I have a new job so it is a bit difficult now, but things ll settle down hopefuly in few weeks :) I had to stay out of the P-38 and French GBs already, sadly.. :( But once again, hopefuly i ll join the BoB GB :) Some Defiants, Hurricanes, Spitfires and 109s in my stash are on the list.. :)

• Like 1