1/72 SAAF P-51D Mustang (Airfix)

Hi all,

Here's my latest build. I enjoyed it a lot as it is the second build for my collection of aircraft I have seen in real life (the other one being the SAAF Harvard "7024" I recently completed).

P-51D%20Patsy%20Dawn5_zpsygwnpifr.jpg

Kit: Airfix 1:72 P-51D Mustang.

I had to modify the prop as the Patsy Dawn in the photos I have does not have the cuffs on the prop blades' base (like most Korean war P/F-51D's). However, the prop also does not look like the standard F-51D's of the era, this one is clearly a little bit more rounded at the blade edges. I believe my modified prop end result to be more accurate for Patsy Dawn than the standard F-51D prop that comes in most kits.

The Airfix kit's panel lines is a bit big, normally I wouldn't complain because it's deep enough to cast a shadow and eliminating the need to do a panel line wash, but for this subject not quite spot on. But I wasn't going to fill all panel lines (done it before, no thanks).

Lastly the cockpit color is wrong (I painted it black instead of interior green), but I only had a chance to confirm the cockpit color when I was already done with the interior.

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_1_zpstfso

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_3_zps8exg

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_2_zpsrtqv

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_5_zpscomi

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_4_zpsbry5

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_6_zpscxvv

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_7_zpssvkh

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_9_zpsjdhf

P-51D%20Mustang%20Patsy%20Dawn_8_zpsdzdx

• Like 18

A nice different NMF scheme. I've got some '48 Springbok roundel decals for an F86 and need an excuse to use them. I wouldn't worry about the interior; I can't see it

Thanks everyone.

Lovely build - I like it. What did you use for the NMF?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael, I used Tamiya AS-12 baremetal silver spray, which is now my go-to NMF paint. Since I don't own an airbrush (yet?) Alclad is not really an option for brush painting, and I have yet to try brush painting the Humbrol metalcote range, but I don't have a NMF kit I'm willing to sacrifice for an experiment at the moment...