Converting the Airfix B737-200 to a -100

Hi ALL

This is a query to all, but I also highly suspect Jessica will already know the answer or at the very least be able to offer a suggestion. I also expect that this topic may well have been covered before, however...

My research tells me with regard to the early-body Boeing 737, the 30 made examples of the -100, were 1.90 meters approximately shorter than the later standard lengthened -200 version. I wish to create an early-Ansett New Zealand B737-130, reg: 'ZK-NEA'.

Applying this to 1/144 scale, how much exactly fore and aft of the fuselage needs to be chopped out - and, if you also know, are there any plans on the net to show exactly where the cut goes?

many thanks -

NB, Being a relatively straight forward surgery, I have no fear of applying "the chop", having previously created a B747-SP from a -200 using a Fine Scale Modeller's conversion article from 1995 (instructions were intended for 1/144 but I downsized it all again to 1/200 on a Hasegawa) - so feel free to advise how brutal you think this alteration might be. Cheers!

Edited by KiwiRho

Taken from another forum:

737-200 > 737-100 (1/144 Airfix)
================================
To convert the Airfix -200 into a -100, all you need to do is remove 13.2 mm (two windows) fore and aft of the wing.
Be careful with the blocked windows. On a picture of D-ABEC in Lufthansa's delivery scheme, many of them are blocked - fortunately they're all open on the Airfix kit.
The relative cargo doors / wing fairing position remains unchanged. Early -100s had the short jetpipes.

And I can't remember where I found this:

B737-100%20amp%20-200%20fuselages.png

Cheers!

Scott.

• Like 2

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are slight differences in the wing/fuselage fairings between the -100 and -200. I realise that contradicts the information which Scott quoted and I'll see if I can come up with a link.

Eastern Express produce a kit which purports to be a 737-100. Don't waste your money on it. The wings are a weird shape and the engines are for the Advanced version and totally wrong for the -100. Converting the Airfix kit is much easier than trying to make an accurate -100 out of the EE kit. At least the Airfix engines are accurate for all except the very earliest -100s.

I heard a whisper that Authentic Airliners might be thinking about a 737-100 but I don't think it's imminent.

• Like 1

Here you go. The thread rambles off at a few tangents but most of what you need should be here. Putting all the information together it looks as if you need to extend the rear fairing slightly (posts 2 and 19) and enlarge the port rear door (post 17) as well as cutting down the fuselage, of course.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933832-revell-or-airfix-737/

• Like 1

Surgery done!

One fail - One success. Oops!

Coping saw sadly proved far too agressive for four cuts, so one old Airfix baby-bo fuselage (in three bits) has now ended life in the circular file, with rest of sprue bits to now act as spares.

However, despite that inital faux pas, with a second kit, I found if I cut in the middle of each location then sanded back to each fore and aft marks on both section removals (using 150 grit) was a much more subtle and righteous solution.

I now have a half-way reasonable looking Boeing 737-130 fuselage lump (photos to come).

Now for those after-market engines - the Airfix ones are defintiley too small... Ansett New Zealand's three -100s had the larger bulkier versions http://tinyurl.com/ovqknfj

Edited by KiwiRho

I'm no 737 expert but as far as I know the -100 was only ever fitted with two types of engine nacelles. The longer, later version is shown in your link and the Airfix engines are a reasonable likeness. The earlier short nacelle is shown here and could possibly be adapted from a 727 nacelle. The only after-market engines I know for the early 737s are for the -200 Adv

• Like 1

The-100s and early -200s started out with cascade-style thrust reversers like those on the 727, hence the shorter nacelle. When they found these didn't work well, they added an extension (can't recall how long) and the bucket-style reversers we are most familiar with. I think what Airfix did was to make the engines with the later reversers, but they used the original nacelle's length, which is why they are ~4mm too short. Braz based theirs on the Airfix length, which is why they're also too short. Authentic Airliners got them right, but unfortunately, Kurt only has the Advanced engines, which were not fitted to the -100. The Advanced engines have different pylon fairings and lack the blow-in doors of the earlier engines. See my comparison photo in Post #15 of this thread: http://www.britmodel...-or-airfix-737/

Cheers!

Ben

• Like 1

The-100s and early -200s started out with cascade-style thrust reversers like those on the 727, hence the shorter nacelle. When they found these didn't work well, they added an extension (can't recall how long) and the bucket-style reversers we are most familiar with. I think what Airfix did was to make the engines with the later reversers, but they used the original nacelle's length, which is why they are ~4mm too short. Braz based theirs on the Airfix length, which is why they're also too short. Authentic Airliners got them right, but unfortunately, Kurt only has the Advanced engines, which were not fitted to the -100. The Advanced engines have different pylon fairings and lack the blow-in doors of the earlier engines. See my comparison photo in Post #15 of this thread: http://www.britmodel...-or-airfix-737/

Cheers!

Ben

Great sourced info - thanks Ben.

Slightly off topic and a bit too late and a different scale, but I received my 1/72 BPK CRJ 100 kit today and on the side of the box is a "coming soon" announcement - a 1/72 737-100!!! How cool is that! Limited colour schemes admittedly but still welcome none the less.

Now, if only they would downscale their nice 737-200 to 1/144 scale, that would be good.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic and a bit too late and a different scale, but I received my 1/72 BPK CRJ 100 kit today and on the side of the box is a "coming soon" announcement - a 1/72 737-100!!! How cool is that! Limited colour schemes admittedly but still welcome none the less.

Now, if only they would downscale their nice 737-200 to 1/144 scale, that would be good.

Jeff

As a tip, I note Old Model Decals produce some interesting 1/72 New Zealand based 737's - both 100 and 200 series - http://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/NZ-Commercial-Jets.html

I will add one thing - just watch for the some parts of these decal sets as they can tend to be a 'manufacturers interpretation' (text fonts and sizes in particular) - only an issue if absolute accuracy is your thing (it is for me when it comes to markings). No real biggie but it does create some extra work as I have to fall back on the Testors decal print system (inkjet decal paper and bonder spray) and a quality photo-printer for those parts that need correcting - but hey, it just adds to the overall fun of making the kit.