Modelling RAF aircraft, c.1943

Procopius

Don, Frog Penguin wooden kits were only made for three months in the winter of 45/46.  They were called their Series 9 kits.  After that they went back to the same plastic as prewar.

I have an Airyda Whirlwind,  there's a label on the box (remains) saying for forces use only.  Sadly it's only most of the main airframe parts, the details, props, wheels etc must have disappeared years before I came across it.  There were a striking number of wood kit manufacturers in the UK during the war, and a surprising amount of information about aircraft to build models, which one would have thought secret!  I imagine the German embassies in neutral countries bought the annual  Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, which are criticised by people who have obviously never seen a copy.

Cheers

Will

PS the photo of the modelling doctor appears in one of the Ian Allan XXX Command 1939-1945 books

4 hours ago, Hurricane Rosie said:

Someone forwarded this to me,  the RAF gentleman in the photograph was my father !

Great to have you aboard!  As you can see from the responses, there's a great interest in your father's modelling skills and techniques. 

I would think that they're probably solid recognition models - often called ID models. They were produced in 1/72 scale in various materials including hard plaster and cellulose acetate plastic. They were finished in black, but this enthusiast could well have added camouflage, markings and additional details. Here's an article on recognition models you may find interesting... especially if you've never seen them in the flesh (plastic?): http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/magazines/Uncle-Sams-Plastic-Air-Force-Sep-1973-AAM.htm

Bob

16 hours ago, Hurricane Rosie said:

Someone forwarded this to me,  the RAF gentleman in the photograph was my father !

Hi Rosie, in view of the specualtion about your Dad's later career, I'd love to know more of him. Did he continue with his modelling interest later on? I think its rather nice to be able to reach back to the past occasionally. Were you aware of the existence of that photo prior to seeing it on here?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, malpaso said:

PS the photo of the modelling doctor appears in one of the Ian Allan XXX Command 1939-1945 books

That's in fact where I first spotted it, and I immediately trundled off to the IWM's site to share it with all of you.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hurricane Rosie said:

What an incredible stroke of serendipitous good fortune! I've wondered about your father ever since I saw this photo! I hope you feel able to tell us a little about him. 

During the early years of the war my father was a member of the embryo Air Training Corps (ATC) as well as being a "roof spotter", essentially spending nights on factory roofs looking for enemy aircraft and subsequent fires from air raids.  As an ATC cadet some of their time was spent making models not only for their intrinsic merit but also to help with aircraft recognition.....the Beaufighter is one of Dad's but I suspect the Wellington group were ready made models supplied to the ATC.  Also included is Dad's final ATC report prior to his racing off to war as a fresh-faced 18 year old leading to his qualification as a pilot:

OzLHkO.jpg

jJbIfL.jpg

xMoA6T.jpg

ICXUvO.jpg

KMhBIm.jpg

Max

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Hurricane Rosie said:

Oh ok Procopius, seen it again now, I will write soon with a bit of detail about John.

That would be fascinating Rosie. Most kind of you.

Tony

bobmig, I do remember seeing/reading an article about the ID models a looooonnnngggg time ago. It wasn't the one to which you link; but, I just don't recall the magazine or book. I just remember the fact that they were black. Thanks for that. Yes, Rosie, please tell us more about him. I wrote that before; again, I ask.