Hungarian He 170A, 1/72

Hi,

One of interesting military airplane which started as civil (passenger) was Heinkel He 70/170. As with all compromises - it was not really good in any role :)

He 70 tok part in Spanish Civil War - as driven by V-engine, without spectacular sucesses. He 170 is an export version of He 70, equipped wuth radial engine, the French G-R 14 cyliders one.

Hungary exploited a batch of He 170 in role of recce airplanes. May be noted, that Hungary start WWII before WWII (!) - with few days war with Slovakia in spring 1939. Then Hungary was forced by Germans to take part in April 1941 campaign against Yugoslavia (Hungarian prime minister even commited suicide it protest! ) and then they went to war against Soviet Union in June 1941. My Heinkel He 170A (Matchbox/Revell kit) is practicly OOB, presenting markings of 1st Independent Group for Long Range Recconaissance, based in Kecskemet 1939-40, perhaps she took part in short war with Slovakia in 1939.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

He 170 DSC04199he 170 DSC04198he170 DSC04203he170 DSC04201He170 DSC04202

EDIT

P.S. (15.01.2022) Currently I am doing He 70 from the same Matchbox/Revell kit and looking at currently available to me photos I noticed that in above build of He 170 in Hungarian colors (done in December 1993)  I wrongly followed some color profile regarding blinded small windows on fuselage sides. On left side there should eb two windows and on right side two square windows and circular one. Sorry for mistake...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 25

Nice job. I built the original Matchbox version in those very colours when it first came out. It was one my better efforts too. Brings back fond memories.

• Like 2

Nice job. I built the original Matchbox version in those very colours when it first came out. It was one my better efforts too. Brings back fond memories.

Certainly does bring back memories. I think I still have those decals somewhere in the box as well as the Revell ones.

Nice to see the 170. My favourite version of it

Nice rendition of a vintage kit. Wot, no infamous Matchbox trenches?

It makes you wonder how aviators of those minor airforces must have felt, going to war in lumbering second raters, with no hope of change for the best in the foreseeable future...

Thank you Gentelmen for comments :)

Thank you especially Darby - you mentioned something before on He 170 what driven me to post it...

I am very glad to evoke nice memories.

Cheers

J-W

• 4 years later...

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks for the inspiration 

Cheers Pat 

Pat, I thank you for inspiration to join Matchbox GB with sister ship - the He 70 from SCW...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

On 23/05/2015 at 10:03, JWM said:

Hi,

One of interesting military airplane which started as civil (passenger) was Heinkel He 70/170. As with all compromises - it was not really good in any role :)

He 70 tok part in Spanish Civil War - as driven by V-engine, without spectacular sucesses. He 170 is an export version of He 70, equipped wuth radial engine, the French G-R 14 cyliders one.

Hungary exploited a batch of He 170 in role of recce airplanes. May be noted, that Hungary start WWII before WWII (!) - with few days war with Slovakia in spring 1939. Then Hungary was forced by Germans to take part in April 1941 campaign against Yugoslavia (Hungarian prime minister even commited suicide it protest! ) and then they went to war against Soviet Union in June 1941. My Heinkel He 170A (Matchbox/Revell kit) is practicly OOB, presenting markings of 1st Independent Group for Long Range Recconaissance, based in Kecskemet 1939-40, perhaps she took part in short war with Slovakia in 1939.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

He 170 DSC04199he 170 DSC04198he170 DSC04203he170 DSC04201He170 DSC04202

Quite a different look than the He 70

Alain

• Like 1