English Electric P5 Kingston

Glancing through the pages of the Lancashire Evening Post, I came across some photos of the English Electric P5 Kingston flying boat, which was built at Preston. This was the first I had ever heard of this aircraft. It also appeared to have been built by the Phoenix company in Bradford (?), under the designation Cork P5. It looks similar to the Felixstowe flying boats. Has anyone else heard of this aircraft and has anyone attempted to model it?

Regards

WEEMAN

• Like 1

Hi 'Cameraman',

Thanks for the link to the photograph. Hadn't seen that one before. It appears there were 3 versions of this aircraft. I am intrigued as to whether it is a viable modelling subject. It seems similar to the felixstowe f2a lengthwise but the span of the f2a is greater. Many thanks for your reply.

Regards

WEEMAN

There was a article on the Cork in a recent Cross and Cockade magazine. Cant remember the actual edition, but the website should clarify, and offer back issues.

Hi 'Fredsopwith',

Thanks for your reply and information about the 'Cross and Cockade' article. I will contact them and enquire when it was and if there is a back issue available. I cannot however see it being any help modelling wise, other than providing information and photos. I guess if I am to create a model of this aircraft, I will have to 'go it alone' and gather photos, dimensions etc myself. This aircraft appears to be very obscure and I cannot imagine anyone other than myself having attempted it. I always seem to pick subjects that are difficult. However, it raises a challenge, and that is what our hobby is all about. Once again, Many thanks for responding.

Regards

WEEMAN

There were the Kingston Mk.1 and the Kingston Mk.11, the first having a Linton Hope hull (difficult to scratch build) and the later boat having a metal hull (marginally easier). Both nothing like the Felixstowe. The Cork article is in the Vol 45/1 Spring 2014.

John

Hi 'John Aero'. Thanks for your info John. I seem to have a habit of picking obscure aircraft to try to model. I have contacted 'Cross and Cockade' in a view to purchase a back issue which includes the article.

Hi 'KevinK'. Thanks for your info about the 'Putnam' book. I have ordered myself a copy. This book seems to be a 'bit thin on the ground' and looks like it will soon be very hard to get.

Regards to you both and for your time to reply.

WEEMAN