Second airbrush for clear coats

James G

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a second airbrush for clear-coating, as I don't want to risk putting too much Klear through my H&S Evolution. I'm after a reliable single-action model for £20-£30. I have a little-jet compressor:

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/little-jet-compressor-3441-p.asp

Does anyone know of one (or better have one for sale?) which will work with this compressor? Or (forgive my ignorance) can I get an adaptor so that it fits?

Any help appreciated, cheers,

James

Iwata Neo would probably be your best bet, around 45-50. You may need an adapter/manifold though.

Best person to speak about this is Paul from Little Cars but no doubt he'll be along soon ... ;)

Update ... Should have pointed out that for 20-30 you're struggling to find a reliable airbrush. I got 2 (far eastern) airbrushes along with my cheap(ish) compressor, they were crap ... compressor's still ok though :)

£50 for the neo is over your budget but I haven't found anything cheaper that's half decent.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Hi Kev. Yeah I'd heard this, I clean it with window cleaning fluid, and it seems OK. I believe you are supposed to use ammonia, but I imagine that is a) pretty smelly and B) according to Paul of Little cars it may damage the nickel finish of the AB over time. To be honest I'm probably all right brush-coating on Klear as it's self-levelling, and polishing with Micromesh. What to do....

You could try one of the cheap Chinese copy's that are abundant on eBay. I got a couple with my compressor and the one I still have is working ok for primer etc. I'm not sure the seals would take anything too aggressive solvent wise mind..

Hi Kev. Yeah I'd heard this, I clean it with window cleaning fluid, and it seems OK. I believe you are supposed to use ammonia, but I imagine that is a) pretty smelly and B) according to Paul of Little cars it may damage the nickel finish of the AB over time. To be honest I'm probably all right brush-coating on Klear as it's self-levelling, and polishing with Micromesh. What to do....

Why not just try it once with the airbush you have and see if you like finish.

I wash out Klear with tap water followed by Vallejo airbrush cleaner - that works fine. I would not put anything containing ammonia in my airbrush (H & S Infinity) as it can strip the chrome plating as Mike found out to his cost.

• Like 1

I bought a very very cheapy single action one off e bay, just a couple of quid. Works fine for Klear etc. The adaptors to connect up to the airbrush hose system cost me more than the spraygun.

• 1 month later...