1/32 Revell Mk.IIa Spitfire convert to Mk.I?

Mark

Hi to all you Spitfire experts out there!

I'm dipping my toes in the waters of 1/32 aircraft modelling and have just opened Revell's box of their 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa.

I'd like to do a small family of 1/32 Spitfires and will be doing one of these out of the box as a Mk.IIa, but apart from the Coffman starter bulge, what would need to be changed to make a Mk.Ia from this kit?

There are lots of after market decals, so is it really as simple as 'don't fit the Coffman starter bulge and use after market decals?'

You'll need an earlier prop too. The blunt-spinner Rotol was not fitted to the Spitfire I. You can probably re-work the spinner or it's not actually that hard to make a new one. The fine nuance of the shape of the prop blades may also need attention.

Unfortunately, mostly you need to do the same things: correct the oil cooler, find a decent prop (some Mk.Is did use the Rotol, but not many), "fabricize" the ailerons.

And refer to the thread Jason linked to.

bob

Thanks guys! I've just been shopping for the Barracuda sets to correct the flaws. I've found an Eagle Parts 1/32 Rotol propeller and spinner, but is there a De Havilland one on the market anywhere? I can't find one anywhere for the Mk.I & II Spitfires. Aires do one for the Mk.V though.

A fair number of Mklls were fitted with fabric ailerons, metal ones weren't fitted on the production line until August 1941 although trials had started late in 1940. I have the Revell kit and need to source fabric ailerons from somewhere.

Cheers all!

Baggers, I need that set! How do I order?

gingerbob,

yes, it does.

Trouble is, base kit plus all the Barracuda accessories a new prop / spinner and decals and you're looking at Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire money.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a question for Baggers: I have three of the Southern Expo sheets (2010, 2011, 2012)in 1/72 and they are exactly the sort of subjects I'm most interested in. Are/were there any others available by any chance? Do you have plans for an more? Sorry, that was two questions!

Cheers,

Mark.

Roy generally re-pops stuff that has sold well. Meanwhile a reasonably convincing set of fabric ailerons out of metal ones can be done by filling/sanding to remove the detail that's there and adding some rib tapes out of something like self-adhesive metal plumbing tape.

All you have to do is end up looking like this:

32175%20Spit%20II%20wing%20correction%20

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a question for Baggers: I have three of the Southern Expo sheets (2010, 2011, 2012)in 1/72 and they are exactly the sort of subjects I'm most interested in. Are/were there any others available by any chance? Do you have plans for an more? Sorry, that was two questions!

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Those 3 are the only ones for the moment. There may be plans afoot to do a new sheet for the 2016 show, I will announce here as and when we have more information. We would certainly like to do more sheets it's just a matter of time for the research. The next release (if it happens!) is likely to be Battle of Britain time frame again).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Out of stock from Roy directly? Here's the page for this (wing details) set, in case anyone wonders. He also has a cockpit enhancement set that might be worthwhile, and so on.

bob

No, out of stock from Hannants. The other new sets are available. Ordering from Roy directly is good until the postage gets added. I thought about ordering from another aftermarket producer based in the US until the £35 postage was added. When it does come back into stock at Hannants, the aileron set looks good value and I will definitely order one when it's restocked, along with the cockpit set. Edited by avro683